• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nets - Coated Nylon or Rubber Mesh?

Chode2235

Looking for a new fishing net, and was wondering the opinions on coated nylon or rubber mesh.

I do mostly C&R for bass, walleyes, and tangle with the occasional pike or musky. I want something big enough to handle those big fish, but not something huge that will take up my whole boat.

I also want something that wont tangle my hooks and will be as easy as possible on my catch for release.

I like the coated nylon as well although I've never actually tried a rubber mesh. There are those that claim the rubber mesh is safer for the fish. I don't know about that and I believe it can have a lot to do with how you handle the net and how you handle the fish.

Bob

I've had both and like the rubber coated nylon much better than the solid rubber nets. The solid rubber nets are very heavy so it is difficult to one-arm net a fish if your solo. Rubber nets are also very shallow so it's easier for a fish to bounce or jump out. The advantage is that they are very tangle free and almost impossible to tangle with trebble hooks, so the only time I would recommend one is if you do a ton of trolling cranks.

The newer bigger rubber nets are deeper. But they are heavier and tougher to handle if you're fishing alone. They do handle large fish pretty well. I keep a big nylon net in the boat just in case I hook up with a big musky though. wink

I'm a pretty big fan of rubber nets. I don't own one, but the two time's I've used one, I've thought to myself "why don't I have one of these? I like using this better than my current net"

Then I go and look at the prices, and realize why I don't have one. In my experience, they're considerably more expensive than other nets.

I will never own another rubber net. I hated how heavy they are and how fish can actually trampoline their way out of it. Get a good coated net. There are many nice nets but my next one will be a Stowmaster. Big $ but worth it to me.