• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Be Honest

I'm with T-bone on this one. Don't get me wrong I do like summer fishing, but the Ice is where it's at for me. I also like the solitude of the cold, the noise is minamal, it's refreshing, and there is nothing like haveing a cup of coffee enjoying watching the sun come up.

My job allows me to only be a weekend fisherman in the summer and over the years I have found the noise to become to much and peacfullness to become less an less. I do venture to the Northwoods ocassionally to enjoy some of the fishing on some of the more secluded lakes. I guess I enjoy takeing in what nature has to offer way to much.

Ice, ice baby, are you kidding me ice smallies, ice muskies, ice walleyes and maybe best of all icing big sunnies and crappies. The last time I ice fished last year was April 16 on Rainy and we pounded em!

At the risk of sounding sappy... I think we are truly lucky to live in a state that has distinct seasons and a huge variety of fish to catch and places to catch them. Summer, Fall, Winter, or Spring, each one has something unique to offer and I just appreciate it while it is here and then move on to the next when it is done.

A ZEN MASTER

fishing is fishing no matter if it is on ice or in a boat. Its our time to get away for everyday stress and relax whether the fish are biting or not. The only thing I will say is summer time gets a busy on the lakes with jet skies, and water skier. Remember that commercial, them guys are fishing and all them people are coming real close and he's says "Lots of lake buddy"?
But you also get that on the ice with people putting their house so close. I still love fishing all seasons.
Good luck and be safe.

I think that there is a lot more to appreciate in the winter becouse of cabin fever. Summer is nice, but 'iceing' gets us out of the house and in the outdoors when nothing else will. I love ice fishing this time of year grin.gif

Don't own a boat, so my summer fishing is from shore on Minnetonka, if I can find a parking spot or head to the Minnesota for potluck fishing, so for me it is ICE FISHING!! I can get to the hunny holes that you boaters are only able to get to in the summer! Until I get a boat, it is bring on the ice and forget about the summer and maybe even after I get a boat I will feel that way, will have to wait and see no boat in the immediate future!!

------------------
I like Tail

I get the same rush at the end of winter waiting for ice out as I do at the end of autumn waiting for first ice. Even though I look more forward to spring than winter weather-wise, I have to say that I usually catch more fish at first ice than at the first trip of the year out of the boat. But I usually catch way more fish out of the open water, so catching them through a hole in the ice becomes more satisfying.

------------------

For me it doesn't really matter. Weather it's pulling an Eye through the ice at the family cabin in Ottertail County, shallow water crappies in the spring, drifting the east side of Mille Lacs with a live bait rig, Loopers on the northshore, watching 50 ringbills lock-up on your decoy's in the fall, or the sound of crunching leaves coming up behind you in the tree stand. it's just getting out and experiencing what we have here in Minnesota that most people will never know. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

See you on the water whatever season.

FnF

I don't have a boat, and with the business I own, I don't have much time for fishing in the summer, (wish I did), so for me, Ice fishing is the best time of the year. I'm kinda bummed that I have less than 2 months before I have to pull the big house off the lake. Would love to be able to be out there longer.

Andy

While driveing in the country the other day, I seen a sign, "Boat for Sale". The "old timer" selling "the boat" sounded like he just gotten off the boat himself, haveing a thick accent. I looked everywhere and saw no boat. So I ask him, "Where's the boat for sale?". He stood and looked puzzled.....He then smiled and said, "NO, da house and da barn, Dey boat for sale!" grin.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

Well since my leg won't be out of the cast until March. I'll vote for spring fishing this year, but only this year. I love ice fishing! Might even get in some late ice up north some where. grin.gif

------------------
Good Luck & Good Fishing. Lucky

There is just something very mystical about looking down that ice hole and seeing the bobber wiggle and gently get pulled under, and anticipating whats coming out of that hole in a few seconds. Could it be a state record, or a baby perch. Doesn't really matter, the bobber is down!
I recently sold my smallboat and built a 6.5 x 14 overnighter crank-up style shack so I quess you know my favorite time of season for fishing. Besides that there is motorcycling in the summer months!!

I have to go with the ice. I grew up farming and summer was all work . Then into construction with winter lay offs that was the time I had off to play. so the ice fishing reminds me of being a kid again.Last Saturday we went out had to jump pressure ridges on Mille lacs - 7 and 22mph wind and we are off to the races. I looked at my fishing bud and said I hope we are still doing this when we are old really old . got to love the ice!!Metro

Can't wait for the first warm weekend in March - Red Wing here I come!! Until then I'll just keep checking in on my boat every weekend just so she doesn't forget what I look like!

------------------
fish smarter, not harder

You got to love it all...hard water or soft nothing better....in late march we head to the south for a week of softwater bassing, then back home to get ready for the opener..have high expectations for both ice and boat fishing