• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2hp vs. 3hp augers

gspman

Anyone care to weigh in on whether 2hp or 3hp is better and why? Seems to me if your not hardcore you could get by with the 2hp and save some money and cut down on weight if you have a portable sled. On the other hand 3hp might be more robust and last longer. How do cutting speeds differ between the 2? Thanks.
gspman

I ran 3 hp jiffys for alot of years, with great success, but switched to a 2hp lazer a couple of years ago. My main reason was for mobility in my style of fishing. Over the years I have taken on the Genz approach of searching before fishing. The weight of the 3hp became a issue while cutting numerous holes searching for fish. I'm not real sure about durability of a 2hp over a 3hp but we'll have to see. I'm glad I switched my muscles sure feel better at the end of a day.

Before weighing in, let me be clear. I'm not talking about brands of auger, but about motors, since Jiffy, Strikemaster and Eskimo use Tecumseh motors.

A few years ago, 2hp and 3hp ran generally the same. The last couple years, because of new engine requirements for 3hp, the 3hp run a bit less well, although I think Tecumseh has about beaten that and they'll be OK again.

Up to an 8-inch hole, I'd take a 2hp. With a 9 and 10-inch hole, I'd go with a 3 hp. Yes, no doubt, 2hp can cut a 10-inch hole, but that's a lot of work for a motor with 33 percent less power than a 3hp, and over time I have to believe the load will wear out a 2hp faster than a 3hp.

I own a 7-year-old Strikemaster XL-3000 3hp with a 10-inch cut. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with a 2hp 8-inch cut, to save weight. There are times a 10-inch hole is REALLY nice (like big lake trout water or true trophy pike), but you can always string together a coupla 8-inch holes during those times.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-04-2004).]

I just switched this year from a 3hp jiffy 10" to a 2hp SM lazer 8" and I can't believe it took me this long! I should have bought this auger right away.
Much lighter, less noisy, cuts like a dream and The 8" hole is plenty big enough.
Dave

I prefer the 2 H.P. The 2 H.P. engines have had far less problems and run smoother. This may not still hold true, not sure. Tecumseh 3 H.P. engines have had issues in the past.

Even with the engine quality the same, I'd go with the 2 H.P. for the weight advantage alone. I use a 2 H.P. 9" StrikeMaster Lazer Ultra - it weighs 26 lbs. vs. my 3 H.P. Jiffy that weighed 40+ lbs. The Ultra uses a 3 blade cutting system that allows you to go to the 9" blade on a 2 H.P. without any loss in performance. Otherwise I'd go with an 8" in the two blade model.

I really don't think durability of the engine is an issue. I have known of people ruining an engine because of an improper gas/oil mix, but I don't know of anyone ever wearing out one of the 2 or 3 hp engines. We should all be so lucky as to fish enough to wear one out!

Another factor that hasn't been mentioned is the gear ratio difference between the two engines. The 3 hp is geared to turn the auger faster than the 2 hp, thus making it work harder. I still don't think it is a factor though.

I'll quadruple the 2hp/8in votes. I've got a 3 hp Jiffy 8" and it cuts very well, but were I to do it again, i'd save the money and weight and go with the 2 hp. I (and most others) have no need for anything larger than an 8" hole, but if I did, then the 3 hp would be better suited. As is, 2 is more than adequate, and much lighter. $.02

------------------
Best FISHES,
Matt

I've never used a 2HP, but I have a new 3HP Jiffy Stealth Auger. It runs great and would probably be ideal for the "sit and fish" fisherman.

However, I like to move around A LOT. Genz style. I wish I would have purchased the 2HP/8" drill for mobility.

If I was drilling 10" holes or really deep holes, I think the 3HP would be ideal.

If anyone is interested in making a fair swap for my 3HP for another 2HP, I'd be interested.

Good Luck.

Have had both. In house rental bussiness where hundreds of hole are cut per auger per week. The 3's didn't hold up. The 2's are lighter. You are cutting ice not steal. Strikemaster got rid of them last I heard. They must have figured it wasn't worth getting beat up over.

I've got a 2hp Jiffy white lightning with a 10 inch bit. It shaves the Ice faster than my buddies 3hp with the same bit. Plus mine is lighter. If I even get a new one, it will be the lazer mag with the 9in three blade. I've used my grandfathers and that is the best ice cutting auger I have ever used. Plus it doesn't catch on the bottom of the hole. But be ready I've almost fell on my face pounding holes through.

I've had a 2 HP 10" LazerMag for years and it runs & cuts like a dream. The engine really doesn't work too hard, and I really don't see how you can wear out an engine that gets used so infrequently. It's not like you are using it to mow the lawn for a few hours straight on a hot day. It's cold out, so it runs cool. And with the Lazer blades it takes no time at all to cut through even a couple of feet of ice.

The fact that they sell their 3-blade 9" with this motor says something, since I have to think that it is harder to push the 3-blade 9" than the 2-blade 10". That's 13.5" of blade cutting on the 9" (3 * 4.5) vs. 10" of blade on the 10" (2 * 5").

I like numbers & I love my Strikemaster! Just Stabil that gas and it should run forever!

dan