• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FMers Volunteering

City_Slicker

How about things like:
An FM ice gathering to bring kids fishing who don't get a chance otherwise. Or bring senior citizens who can't get out on their own.
Organized late ice trash pick-ups.
Fish fry for senior citzens group or nursing home.
I'm sure there are a lot of activities that could spin off from our love of fishing.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Maybe we should have an FM Volunteer Activities Forum for guys to organzie and volunteer for avtivities like icehousebob suggests?

How many are interested in that?

City Slicker, I think that is a great idea. I do not know if their is an official membership but I do teach in St. Paul and live in South Minneapolis. I've taught many students in the "inner city," stories abound. I've taken students fishing and have actually met some kids from the inner city that are great fisherpersons. I would love to do something like this. I could even recruit help, (great inner city youth- great kids). If any body wants to seriously do this please post. Thank you, and happy holidays!

Rick, I like the idea of a Volunteer Activities Forum. If something comes up it can be posted and if someone is available to assist they can. I like the idea of taking a senior on the water

No matter how much financial, personal, or professional success each of us may have, what does it really matter if we do not share this with others or help when we can.

MinnAqua - the MN DNR fishing educ. program - is putting on some ice fishing programs for kids around the metro (and out-state too I believe) this winter and they need volunteers. I work for Three Rivers Parks in education and I just got a flyer about it the other day. I'll look into some more and see what I can find out.

We on the Duluth/Bwca forum had a lake cleanup this summer. Went well. I think Jason Manning from KQDS even gave us some kudos on the air! I believe Frozenminnow? is getting a icefishing contest together to help out a shelter in Duluth.

Azenmstr, nice name by the way, (zenwhat?) I am on a school computer I can not contact a hotmail address. You can contact me at [email protected] and give me details on the equipment you are talking about, and where you are located at, and what you are asking for the things. Please send me an e-mail with htis info. and we can negotiate. In the meantime I do appreciate the generous offer, I already have a few ideas these items could go to great use. Again, thank you hope to hear from you and happy holidays.

I dont know. Maybe go down to the river and clean it up or lakes. Maybe have a day spounsered by FM where the FM Family brings there kids,brothers and sisters or any young person and take them out fishing. I am sure the DNR could help us out also. I just think we should all give back to the community and our natural resources.

Just a note to any veterans out there... I don't have the equipment needed to take more than one person out ice fishing, but if you are ever in the Becker/Big Lake/Annandale area, it would be my pleasure to take you, your buddies or your family out fishing on any of the local lakes. Gas, bait, and lunch is on me. It would really be an honor to have you in my boat. Please feel free to email me at: [email protected]

Rick,
Of course I was vague - that gets folks talking grin.gif

A Volunteer Activities Forum is a GREAT idea. A place for posting ideas, generating interest and turning them into events like the ones previously mentioned.

The nursing home in Monticello is right on the river, and I bet there's plenty of folks there who'd like to wet a line with a little help from some friends.

I have recently requested and received an Adopt-a-River organization info kit which I am in the process of reviewing. I have mentioned here before that having "FishingMN.com" as an Adopt-a-River organization would be great not only for the habitat quality of the stretch of shoreline we clean and maintain, but as a great PR opportunity for FM. We'd get a sign or two on the stretch with our name on it-just like Adopt-a-Highway.

Rob

The Adopt-a-River idea sounds great to me. I'm sure there are many of us (whether on the lake or the river) that feel compelled to pick up all the trash that is (sickeningly and unfortunately) lying around us. Every time I go in I'm picking something up. I think it's a great idea to sponser kids to go fishing. Why not combine the two?: part of the day cleaning; part of the day fishing (part of the day cleaning fish smile.gif) I am in!

------------------
SERIOUSLY! It was THIS big!

Another idea...

Capable Partners is a Minnesota based group that helps disabled sportsmen and women get out and enjoy the great outdoors. They're always looking for help and outings. What about a day of fishing for those that need a little help? You can contact them through their HSOforum at

http://www.capablepartners.org/

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)