• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pulling tubes with a tiller?

LEECH21

I just bought a 2007 16 foot Crestliner Fish Hawk with a 60hp tiller. I know people can tube with a tiller, but do think my boat will have enough "get-up" to get done?

Thanks

for what it's worth, "back in the day" I pulled a smaller tube(no tubecover) behind my dad's old fishing boat- 3 bench 16footer with a 20 horse johnson.

the rider had to cooperate, lean forward a little until some speed built up, but it worked fine with the right finesse.

Grant

Back in 99 I was interning here in the metro, and a couple other college students and I decided to go skiing. One guy's dad had a 96 crestliner fishhawk with a 50 or 60 hp tiller on it (can't remember which). It pulled me out on 2 skis, and i weighed 190 lbs back then. It also worked great with the kneeboard that day, and one guy had a wakeboard that he used with success. We didn't try tubes, but you'll be fine.

We used to use my '81 35 hp Evinrude to ski behind and had up to 200# pulled out of the water. It took awhile, but once you got out it wasn't bad. If you pulled hard to the side when you were using one ski, you could almost pull the boat to a stop and you started sinking until it got moving again. grin.gif

A 16' boat with a 60 HP motor. You should be able to pull up a 200 lbs person on a slalom ski no problem. My buddy had a 16 Rebel with a 40 Mariner tiller and he weighed 225. He would drive the boat and with another adult in the boat he could pop people up on one ski.

Heck I could get my kids up on skis with my 1600 Fishhawk and a 25 horse Johnson.

It helps if you get one of those harnesses that connects to both of your transom eyes and has either a clip on a pulley or just centered behind the motor. I made mine.

Side note regarding having someone sit in the bow seat of a tiller while pulling someone. Its very dangerous so be careful. I was pulling a tube and turned to sharp and the bow seat pedestal broke and the guy in that seat went flying out of the boat. I almost ran over him. NOT GOOD!!!

Nels