• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sight Fishing Panfish

JMo

I was out today and had my best day of ice fishing for sunnies in a long time. We were fishing in about twenty two feet of water and the Vex was lit up with fish from the bottom all the way up to about five feet with fish. It was awesome seeing the Vex that lit up with fish. The water was clear enough to see your jig down to about ten feet. I had a blast watching the jig through the hole and seeing the fish come up and smack the jig. You didn't even need the Vex, you could just drop your jig down and watch your jig being inhaled by the fish. My neck is kind of sore from staring down the hole all day but hey I guess that's the price you pay for nonstop action. Has anyone else had any similar experiences sight fishing panfish through the ice.

I wasn't site fishing today, but I was fishing for sunnies on 'Tonka this afternoon/evening, and it was one of the best days I've ever had. I was fishing in about 12 - 15 FOW. More 7+ inch sunnies than I've ever caught before. One I measured at 9", but did I bring the camera? NOOOOO! DUH! All the larger sunnies went back down the hole.

I know it's the ice fishing forum but,when I was a little guy I used to "sight"fish with a mask,fins and snorkle and 6 foot hand line under the docks..wow what a blast!c63P.S.,the shallow sight bite for Perch on Millelacs is alive and well!!!!!!!bye for now.c63

Spent the wknd sight fishing in 12-15 fow. Caught a bunch of crappies and sunnies and saw some really cool stuff. I really look forward to this time of year as it is so fun to have a window on the underwater world. I have found that it is crucial to have a very short rod for this type of fishing so you can rest your hand on you knee and still be able to look down the hole easily. A 10" hole is nice as well, but not totally necessary. My 12 year old loves it and caught a 20" large mouth and about a 4lb snot rocket, needless to say he was thrilled!

I love sightfishing! We dont get the chance too often here - the fish are either too deep or the visibility is too poor. Sight fishing is a great way to learn alot. You really get to see how the fish react to your presentation and can adapt that into useing your flasher/electronics. You also learn how your jigging motions translate into the jig and much more...

I got into some big sunfish and a few crappies a few weeks ago sightfishing and was into some slob perch this past sat in 5-6 foot of water. These fish looked huge when they came in one a jig...

p3290784an2.jpg

I do this all the time on my small shallow clear lake in NW Wisconsin it only gets to 6 feet deep so it is perfect for sight fishin... I usually just take an old crappy rod and just hand jig all the fish... It is much easier and your feel is much better...

Good Luck!

p_00055-1.jpg

Pictures065.jpg

Early Ice Pannies!