• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Morel Mushrooms

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: stfcatfish
...the quiet cascade of lake trout and morel across the palette...

I was thinking the same thing as Lisa, but she beat me to the post. Your writing experiences do serve you well StCatfish.

I agree. We've tried different Morel recipes. They were all pretty simple, but we all agreed the simplest was the best. A little flour is okay.

That recipe sounds great. Now I need to catch a Laker.

That's a chance I don't want to take Tom! It'd be a crying shame if we wasted these yummies and they'd have to be tossed once they got to me! \:\(

I'll find some. I have a lead with someone's mother in law up in my area. Thanks for the offer buddy! \:\)

Thanks everyone. Ken, it looks like the morels will be out right around the time laker season opens, so I'll be looking to score a fresh lake trout to leave in the fridge overnight and some fresh morels picked the next day.

Mmmmmmm. grin.gifgrin.gif

Icing lakers will have to wait until January skiinglady and I would definitely not be the one to teach anyone! I'm a newbie too! It is fun though! Super exciting-it makes your heart pound! You should really make it up to the Burntside Bash in Ely next January if you want hands on laker fishing. The guys up there really help people out. All the FM get togethers I've been at have been such a fun time. My friends all think I'm a little cuckoo for sitting on the ice for hours too. It sure is a lot more fun hibernating all winter though isn't it! grin.gif

Quote:
Check out the Travel Channel right not (8:30am).

Dtro, I missed this! But I think I got good pictures of what they look like. I should really buy a book too though.

I can't wait for morel season to start! I think they will start popping a little later this year due to the colder winter we had. But who knows...if we have a stretch of 60's during the day and warmer temps at night it could come sooner. I still have a lot left from last year. I always dry them and they last forever. I never wash mine prior to drying...just cut them in half and brush off any excess sand or dirt. I usually string mine up with fishing line and then put a fan on them for a few days. They end up as hard as a rock. Be carefull when you eat them for the first time. Start with a small quantity and stay away from too much alcohol when eating them. Some people get very sick and will never eat them again. Last year was an average year at best for me...it was too dry. Hopefully I will hit the jackpot this year. I am pumped!!!!! \:\)

Well initially I thought we would be off to a slow start this season...but this warm weather is starting to put things back on track. Does anyone have any thoughts as to when the first finds of the season will be? Looks like we have a lot of days ahead with highs in the 60's and lows in the 40's. I am guessing it will be about the same as last year. I found my first ones the first few days of May.

I think they will be in my area in 4 weeks. We got 6 inches of snow last night and it is blizzarding out today. It sucks but it is adding water to the ground this will help the shrooming. I am very excited. Do any of you hunt in the ottertail county area?

I would guess the grays will be up within 10 day only if we can get some temps in the 60's for highs and lows of high 40's for a week with an additional inch or two of rain. If you see Lilac's blooming, they are out for sure.

Any of you southern folks find any yet? We just got the book "Morels" by Michael Kuo in the mail today. What a great author! He's got a very entertaining writing style and it's loaded with pictures and facts. Here's a couple of quotes from his book that I thought were funny:

"Paper lunch sacks: $1.29

Gas Station pocket knife,if you don't already have one: $5.00

Bug spray: $4.00

Walking stick: free from forest floor

A day in the woods and a bag full of mushrooms: Priceless"

And some sayings that I'm sure all you morel people already know:

If it ain't hollow, don't swallow.

If it's wavy, don't make it gravy.

If it's reddish, you could be deadish!

I just was on the phone with a work associate from Wentzville, MO. Wentzville is just west of St Louis. They found 17# of morels yesterday. I'd guess 3-4 weeks here in southern MN before it is prime. I hope we get some warmer weather.

Nothing yet Lisa. Still need a week of upper to mid 60's for highs and upper to mid 40's for lows. I will be starting to check around Wednesday next week and will keep you posted. This is the time we were finding them last year but this darn cool weather slows everything down. One thing is for sure the deer ticks are out and thick so make sure to check yourself after each mushroom outing. I found 3 yesterday after going to a fishing hole luckily not stuck just crawling around. eek.gif

not to throw this post off course, its kind of related but lisa is there frost up north yet? frost? no mushrooms right. see it is somewhat related to this post. ok a tad far fetched but.

Frost EVERY morning so no mushrooms, ticks, mosquitoes, grass or leaves on the apple trees. \:\(

This has been one chilly spring up here. On a happier note, the front page of the Duluth News-Tribune has some guys from Blaine netting smelt off of Minnesota Point so that's a good sign of spring.

glenn, you NEVER go off-topic. I don't even know where you get these silly ideas! \:\/\:\/\:\/grin.gif You REALLY have to get some smileys up someday too. At least the smirk ones! \:\/

im meaning frost in the ground. frozen ground? yea i know some day i will make my wife show me how to do it. like ive said before i know just enough about the computer to make me dangerous. but when i do learn about them smiley faces, look out!!!!! 90% sure headed north sat am. gotta get the cabin ready.