• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The "bad for you" food question....

this question is spawned out of a conversation I was having at work- about "bad for you but it tastes so flipping good" kind of food. Google the Heart Attack Grill and you'll see the inspiration....... oof da.

what sort of recipies do you all have that involve large amounts of things like salt, lard, etc...? the kind of stuff that sends doctors and nutritionists into convulsions when you start telling them about it?

Personally, I was going to try doing my homemade potato chips done in lard instead of canola oil just to see how the taste changes.

Ahhhh, bacon fat! When on a fishing trip all will always one time cook the eggs in the bacon fat left after making the bacon. Sooo good! The crispy edges with the perfectly cooked yoke. Nothing better. Many Years ago I dated a girl from Alabama and her mother cooked eggs in and inch of bacon fat. Also the first time I ever had grits I had no idea what they were so I looked at my girlfriends brother with a blank stare and he tells me "do you like salt, pepper and butter? Thats what they taste like". he was right.

These are oh so good with ham or fried fish. My doctor would have a nervous breakdown if he saw this recipe

Hash Brown Casserole II

Prep Time: 20 Minutes

Cook Time: 40 Minutes Ready In: 1 Hour

Yields: 12 servings

"Cheesy and delicious, this hash brown casserole has a crunchy topping."

INGREDIENTS:

1 (2 pound) package frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed ( even more fantastic if you use O'Brien Hash browns)

1/2 cup melted butter

1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup

1 (8 ounce) container sour cream

1/2 cup chopped onions

2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

2 cups crushed cornflakes cereal

1/4 cup melted butter

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. In a large bowl, combine hash browns, 1/2 cup melted butter, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, chopped onion, Cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. Place mixture in a 3 quart casserole dish.

3. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, saute cornflakes in 1/4 cup melted butter, and sprinkle the mixture over the top of the casserole.

4. Bake covered in preheated oven for 40 minutes.

Deep fried hotdogs. Put a slit in your hotdog and fill with chedder cheese, wrap with bacon and hold together with toothpicks. Cook in deep fryer until bacon and hotdog are crispy, place on bun and cover with chili and onions.

To follow up on Walleye118's hot dog suggestion... If you've ever eaten at Dyer's in Memphis, you can't beat a good old deep fried hamburger.

This whole list of bad foods has put a big smile on my face. What's wrong with being a garbage gut?

Biscuits and Gravy are a staple of my diet, and the reason for my love handles. LOL.

Mashed potatoes and gravy. Fried Chicken, Fried Pork chops, triple bacon double cheeseburger grin.gif Bacon and all the goodness that is added to your favorite foods with bacon.

"For breakfast I have bacon, for lunch, a bacon sandwich, and I usually drink my dinner."

Not at all but I am afraid it starts with go to cub and buy two pepper gravy pouch mix's. I use milk so it gets creamier and buy a log of Jimmy Dean. I end up using about a 1/3 of the sausage in the mix and save the rest for patties.

As for my homemade biscuits whistle.gif I go to the dairy aisle and buy a can of butter flavored biscuits, the kids (and I) still like popping the can open when you peal the paper...

I have an aunt who makes it from scratch, I'll see if I can get her recipe the next time I see her.

For the sausage gravy, from scratch, what I always do is as follows.

Cook up your sausage patties like sutty said, save about 1/4 to 1/3 of the log for crumblies, as the patties near completion on the cooking, throw in the remaining sausage and start to break it up like browning ground beef. When the patties are done, I leave the grease in the pan and sift in some flour, start slowly, about 1 Tbls or 2, and wisk it to make sure it isn't lumpy, then I start to add milk and water, pretty much even up, but only a little at a time. You have to let it come to a boil and thicken a bit before you add more, and wisk it in each time to thoroughly mix it in. Keep adding and mixing in the milk and water in equal parts until you have enough to satisfy the family. You will need to add some salt and pepper to taste.

I make a lot of it, cause I slather it over my breakfast taters, my eggs, my sausage, and my biscuits. Guess what I am doing for breakfast tomorrow?

By the way, just to make sure you have gravy, have a packet just in case as a backup plan. It is easy to mess up the first time, and takes a bit of practice. Don't feel bad if you don't get it right on the first crack at it. I have messed up a couple times, but just don't leave it sit alone, pay attention to your gravy and it comes out great.

We used to drive in to the Falls from being "out to the lake" and stop at the Western, the first evolution of convenience stores. That was the choice (or a several-mile drive to the Country Kitchen for a burger) after 1 a.m. and the menu was one of two gutbombs: ham and cheese or mystery meat burger, each with the appropriate amount of mustard, a bag of chips and a can of V-8

My sister was telling us about this sausage gravy stuff after we were done playing cards last night and she says it is just great.

I guess we are gonna have to try it? An "A" rating in taste and an "F" in the health factor.

How come it is that everything that tastes good is bad for you and everything that is bland and unexciting is good for you? "Wow, last night we had a dynomite dinner, plain goat yogurt, unlevened bread, some lettuce leaves, and for desert, some plain, white, unlined paper! Yum!"

I'm wondering if a person used some moderation in their eating habits (No eating 2 sticks of butter and a package of crackers while your watching "Wheel Of Fortune") and got somwemore excerise, would all this stuff be as bad for you as what they say?

Oleo was supposed to be much better for you then butter, then that was disproved somewhere? Read meat was supposed to be bad for you and then they came out with diets that consisted of eating nothing but red meat?

Don't ask me who "They" are, I don't know....I never have, but THEY are always right and you know what THEY say..."Where there's smoke, someones cooking brats!"

Now all you wild game eaters out there are gonna have to stop eating venison, cause in a new study THEY say it's chock full of lead spatter...I suppose game birds that are shot with lead pellets also.

3M takes care goofing up the drinking water, Federal takes care of eating wild game, and the surgeon general takes care of eating anything that might actually taste good...and THEY take the joy out of everything else! I think I'll go have a piece of tree bark and a raw potato for dinner...gotta go.

I have a recipe for a pheasant chowder that I got from a co-worker...it makes a huge batch (think big kettle and many, many servings)...but it contains some less-than-healthy ingredients.

It features a roux of equal parts (one pound each) butter and flour; several slices of chopped bacon; and a couple pints of heavy cream.

It goes over well in the resort cabin on ice fishing trips, though...

I hear ya Grebe, all the Theys can just go away and not tell me how I should live my life. But I guess the majority of society cares about what They say.

I tell ya what, my buddy made some country fried venison steaks with mashed taters and gravy and biscuits last night. There wasn't a drop left over.

Originally Posted By: hoggs222
One recipe for things that are bad for you. Drive down snelling at the end of August. It's called the State Fair. Just thinking about that place makes my arteries get smaller.

good lord I know that feeling.. I used to work down on the East Bank U of M campus, and if the wind was right I could smell the mini doughnuts at my office... made work a little difficult.