• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye tactics you want to try this season

I thought I'd start this post due to the Mille lacs post with favorite cranks. We started to get side tracked with info other then just favorite cranks. What techniques are you looking into trying that you have never tried before. My personal technique is going to be trolling leadcore and spinners either on or off boards in the basin for suspended fish in the summer. I am also looking to try some great lakes tactics on some of the bigger bodies of water to see what happens. The other technique I am going to try out is jigging heavy jigs with plastic lizards in fast dirty water on the river this spring to try and catch some hawger eyes. What is the new tactic you are thinking about trying out this year for eyes?

Tunrevir~

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to refine casting cranks into shallow weeds.

Also work on pulling spinners on bouncers and cranks with three ways.

I'm thinking those new X-rap Shads might be a nice lure for working some emerging weedlines in a bit deeper water.

Originally Posted By: TrophyEyes
I have always wanted to try casting crankbaits for walleyes and never done it.

I also want to try Tubes for smallies.

Fishing Tubes for smallies is a blast, Highly recomended.

One thing I will be trying this year, is casting swim baits thru the deeper weed lines and edges. I really want to give it a go on Miles Lacs- you never quit know what your going to catch doing that.

I want to get better at finding the big pigs that are cruising for tulibee along the thermocline. It's a highly underfished section of the lake and there are trophies to be caught doing this, but when you are sitting over the deepwater basin there's a lot of water to cover. Still, I think it would be great to get on a good bite.

Oh, and casting crankbaits for walleye is awesome! A great river pattern but also good on the lakes along the weed edges at lowlight periods. Find an area that has current, a weedline, deep water nearby and a good shelf. Rip a Rattlin' Rap or Rogue or Reef Runner through there and you'll do awesome for walleye.

Now I'm fired up for summer! Dang!

TO, I have always had so much success with Bobbers, Lindy Rigs, Jigging, and trolling cranks that I have never stopped to cast a specific area. I also want to try some of the new shad soft plastic [jerk-bait]/swim baits.

Originally Posted By: Team Otter
 Originally Posted By: TrophyEyes
I have always wanted to try casting crankbaits for walleyes and never done it.

Holy Buckets! You definitely need to try that...

Yes, most definately! Casting rip rap shorelines on the river, casting weedlines and flats on metro lakes can be very productive!

Tunrevir~

I've been doing some drop-shot rigging with plastic baits in certain situations and catching walleyes (and lots of other fish) on them. I want to do some more of that this year and get better at it.

Also, trolling with leadcore. I do it, but haven't done enough of it to be really good at it yet. In the right situations it can really put fish in the boat.

I like a bunch of others would like to do more crank fishing and also more slip bobbering. I fish a few lakes that have developed into weed walleye type lakes and those two techniques should help me boat more eyes. And if they pass the two line legistlation I could do both at the same time. Man that would be a hoot...

I've tried dropshotting in situations where I would normally vertical jig or drift with jigs. A couple examples are deep holes in rivers where there's not much current, and vertical jigging reefs on canadian shield lakes.

Another place where I've tried it, and where I really like it, is working deep weedlines, steep breaks, and weedy mid-lake humps that quickly drop off to deep water.