• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod building classes

MUSKY18

I've made for myself G. Loomix IMX spinning rods for Walleyes. Alot of the blanks start around $125. or so. Then it all depends on what type of guides, and handle you want.

You can purchase GL3's or GL:2's that would be cheaper. You could purchase St.Croix's also that would be less.

I went for my first session at thorne brothers and it went really well. Took me a while to find cork since I went with the lower grade took a little while longer to find what i was looking for. The guy was very helpful (wish I could remember his name). The blank was a st. croix 6'6" and cost me 95.00. I am making it for Bone fishing in mexico and the guys there were very knowledgeable on that subject. There were blanks that cost well over 200 that were shown to me but never was I pushed to buy anything. Even when I started buying components he showed me the pros and cons of the low end to high end and still never pushed a sale. I went middle of the road for everything so far so I will probably be in the $200 to $300 range when finished. I finished the handle which was cool to shape my own, and will be going back in 2 weeks for the second process. One last thing I liked was you only paid for the blank up front, you do not pay the remainder until you are done. I will post again after my next trip.

I would guess you worked with, Mike, Matt, Scott or Kurt. Glad to hear things went well. Just make sure you book your shop time soon. This is when it gets really busy up there!!

There is alot of things you can do (as you found out) in making the rod to your specs.

I will be starting my rod building class next week. I have always wanted to build a few of my own rods and this will be awesome working and learning from Bill and Al at Midwest Rod & reel. They offer what looks to be a great class and are more than willing to work with you.

http://www.midwestrodandreel.com/

Harvey, enjoy the experience. "Rewarding" was my take away thought after the first build. Then to catch a fish with it.... oh so awesome!

I bought a blank from the folks at midwest rod and reel last summer at a show in Mpls. Good folks to deal with.

Downside to building your own rod is that is the first step towards an addiction with no know cure!!!!

Lets see pics once it is done.

Hey Northlander,

Check out john's fly shop downtown, otherwise, there are a couple guys that might do one with you upon request at the superior fly angler. I have done a walleye spinning rod and steelhead fly rod over there in the past.

Went back to Thorne's today and finished up all the wrapping and first coat of epoxy. I will be finishing it next Wednsday and can't wait to try it. I told my self I would keep it dry until Mexico, but there is open water about 1/2 mile from my house begging for a cast.

Originally Posted By: upnorth
Kinda exciting thinking about trying out a rod that you just built ain't it? \:\)

I have a pond about 150 yards off the back portch with nice bass and bluegills in it. Every rod I build gets a test drive with a few fish grin.gif Actually the gill in my avitar was caught there...