• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod building classes

MUSKY18

Does anyone know if there are still going to be some rod building classes offered around somewhere? I had heard of one possibly happening in Mound, but I don't think that it was a very certain deal. I believe that there was also one in Hastings, but can't remember when it was to be.

If you talk to the guys up at Thorne Bros, they will do a specialized class with you for the cost of the rod blank plus a small fee based on the rod you want to build. The fee includes the cost of tool use and the rest of the standard supplies to get it done. You can go crazy and do plenty of options, and the price goes up accordingly. I just talked to them a few weeks ago about it. They said it is about a 6 hour process, and they can spread it out over a few evenings or you can bang it out all in one day if you want, but it is only Monday through Friday.

You could also check with any colleges or schools in the areas that offer community education as to whether they offer classes on rod building, some do.

Something else to consider is there are many good books and videos on rod building basics out there. This would be a good option if you learn well that way. And there is something that doesn't make sense you can post a question looking for an explanation. If you have a book or video you can always use that for reference at later date.

Call Scott, or Lonnie @ Thorne Bros. I've build rods up there for years probably around 20 or so. They are awesome to work with.

They work one on one with you. Once you build one, you'll be back to build more. Makes for a great winter project. grin.gif

I took Gary Wick's class last spring and built a muskie rod. He does a great job teaching and helping you out after the class as well.

I am not a person that wants to read books to learn something so for me, a class was a great start. You learn the basics in one afternoon and then you can go on your own from there.

I have come to enjoy making what I want and how I want it to look. I am currently making a pink princess rod for my daughter, a Chicago Bears themed spinning rod for a co-workers father-in-law, and a 8'6" split gripped, all black, muskie rod for myself. Why? Because I took a class and it was fun. No way I would have tried it from reading a book.

That being said, now I read the books to learn more.

It is a great thing to try, if nothing else, you get to spend a day making a rod you will use for years.

i took garys class 2 years ago. built a baitcaster then an ultra lite and now trying to make time to get down to his house to make a couple ice rods. hes got a web site just add customrodnreel to his first name. like mike said he takes his time to make sure you understand the steps to making the rod. i also like the fact that he has his own blanks made to his specs. the ultra lite as a feel like no others.

chad

I haven't checked this year but Big Lake Community Education had a series of rod-building classes last year- if memory serves they did an ice rod, a walleye rod and a muskie rod.

In Rochester, There are Roch Community Education classes each quarter. Dan at DLF Custom Rods also has individual classes and will teach anybody how to build a rod. Mel at Wild Goose will do the same. Both Dan and Mel teach Community Ed classes, as well help with Rod Building in the Roch High Schools.

There is a great class coming up in Bemidji. I fish exclusively with the rods of the Teacher. I would have to say that learning how to build rods is rewarding and can really offer some great info for buying factory rods as well.

Your drive wouldn't be an hour, but I would recommend to anyone in the Twin Cities to go to Thorne Bros. in Fridley. Call them (Lonnie, Scott, Mike, Matt) and they will work with you from picking out a blank in your price range. They will not try and push the most expensive blanks they have.

From there, you can set up your building (they work pretty much one on one with you)and then set up times with them based on your schedule. No experience is necessary to do this. I know of 12 year olds who have built their own rods up there. It wouild be worth your time!!!!! grin.gif

I went to Thorn Bros on Thursday morning and picked out a blank, I will be starting it on Monday. I am really excited I am building a 3 piece for my mexico trip in a month. Hopefully by building this the time will go faster. The guy at Thorns was so friendly and didn't push anything on me. He asked where I wanted to be as far as prices and showed me both more expensive and cheaper ways to go. Should be a great experience I will post more as I go.

For you south of the river guy’s (& gals) Build to fish which is Midwest Rod & Real has one starting Tuesday March 18th. There are a series of 4 classes and are held on Tuesday and Thursday (3/18th, 20th, 25th, & 27th) at the Savage city hall. Openings available according to Midwest Rod & Real.

Post how things are going when you build. That's what's nice about Thorne Bros. . They listen to the kind of fishing you do, and won't push the top of the line blanks, unless you want them grin.gif