• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fishhouse breakins/vandalism

I posted a similar question on the metro lakes forum and figured I also post here to see what happens in other areas across the state.

I'm building my first permanent fish house and wondering what can be done to deter breakins/vandalism. I'd rather not have to leave my door unlocked but it sounds like it will be broken into if I don't? What are some of the worst lakes for breakins? What type of things are people stealing from fishhouses? Is it just kids looking for something to do or thieves out to get free fishing gear?

Thanks in advance.

Fish houses no matter where they are, metro or not are great targets for thieves. There is no difference if it's kids or someone else when your door gets torn off to see what's inside. Anything and everything will be taken if someone does break in. Leave nothing behind and you can't lose anything. Leaving the door unlocked is a good option even though that does not mean you won't be a victim of vandals. It's to bad it's that way but it's been going on for as long as I can remember. CYA and take your gear home when your done fishing.

Fishing is Life.

Put anything of any value, especially booze, out of sight or remove it completely and daily.

Keep the windows uncovered so they have a chance to look inside before they bother busting the door down. Covered Windows only breeds curiosity in crooks.

Outside of leaving it unlocked that is about the only effective thing to do.

Vandalism, Hell who knows? There is no rhyme nor reason to vandals or vandalism?

Keeping an eye out for you neighbor is a good plan, they will likely do the same for you given the chance.

------------------
BACKWATER GUIDING
701-281-2300
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

Spreading the word around that you own a 22-250 Magnum and can see the entire lake from your upstairs patio works pretty good too!! Just Kidding of course!! smile.gif Windows clear to view through, doors unlocked and nothing inside with good watchful neighbors are about the best safeguards against vandalism and theft! Good Luck and be Safe!!

I say we get all night stakeout possies going. the only thing that will actually work is catch one of these little home wreckers and make an example of them, how bout walking off the lake with nothing else but their boots? Or trashing their vehicle and letting them walk How about all the houses go together and hire a rent a cop from sun to sun? Now that we covered all the trouble we can get into why not take the money that you are about to invest in a permanent and buy yourself a nice portable. I never did as well hardwater fishing since getting rid of the shack (now my shed) and getting a portable. If you really need all the comforts of home then check out a Road King but remember no early ice fishing with all the weight. Fish dont always bite in the same spot you gotta stay on the move if they aint bite'n.

------------------
Pies and Eyes for all.
Stay dry and on the fly if you find them they will bite..

Leaving the door unlocked for us helped, but then people used our shack as an outhouse - took steamers right over where our holes were.

That was a long time ago when I had part ownership of a shack with friends from high school. The only way I can think of to avoid things like that 100% of the time is to use a portable. Maybe when I retire I'll build another permanent because I'll probably be in it 5 or 6 days a week. Until then, as long as I'm able bodied, I can't see it being worth it for me.

Not having a pattern helps too, show up and leave at various times, get to the house as many days a week as you can. That way if it's another local he can't really predict when you'll be there.

an ex-sheerif friend of mine agrees with you on windows clear to view. also make false walls or space behind the cuboard for storage of any things of value. cant steal what you can not see. one more reason for crank-up portable shack.

Vandilism just stinks I would like to use another word but it isn't proper. I always take all of my big stuff out of the house like my auger and electronics and rods and tackle but I am sure there are somethings that some pucks would still steal if they got in. I have always locked up my house and pulled shades down. Now I am thinking that I will leave th shades up this year. We had a simliar deal years ago with our deer camp. We would always lock it up with a padlock and every fall the lock was cut off there wasn't anything to take but they wanted to see what was in there. So finally we just started to put a stick in the hasp so that they could go in and look around and this has worked ever since. One year way back with copper was pretty valuable someone stole all of the copper tubing for the gas light out of the place the week before deer opener. Luckly one of our guys was a plumbing/heating man so he had things fix and running in no time. It is really to bad that people in our society can't respect another person well enough to leave our stuff alone.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

If you fish within a community of other fish houses, become friends with your neighbors. This way, an unofficial "neighborhood watch" can be set in place.

[This message has been edited by smartguy (edited 11-12-2003).]

I knew an old duffer that used an ignition coil from an old car, wired to the door handle and a switch that he put out of sight. When he left he'd just lock the door and throw the switch. I'm not sure exactly how it worked electronically, but I can tell you it was quite a deterent for the vandalous little punks in the neighborhood.

Just for the record - I am obviously not condoning this, just thought I'd share an interesting story.

It's probably a moot point.

The thief would end up with a burnt hand from the electric shock and would be so [PoorWordUsage]ed off he'd kick your shack down before he'd notify any authorities of your little homemade electrical deterrent. Last thing I want to do is make a thief more [PoorWordUsage]ed off as he's already thinking about damaging my ice shack.

Back in high school I couldn't stand the swill dished up in the cafeteria at lunch time, so I packed myself a lunch each day and left it in my locker.
Well, one day my lunch was gone. This happened with increasing frequency, and the teachers located near my locker pretty much told me "tough hop - eat cafeteria food."
Having sought help from the authorities and being turned down, and spending several afternoons with grumbling tummy, I took matters into my own hands.
Arriving early one morning, I placed my lunch bag in its usual spot on the top shelf of my locker, strategically placed some folders and small books in front of it creating a "cubby" effect, and placed a 110 conibear between the tunnel of books/folders and the lunch bag. The ring of the trap was wired through the holes in the back of the locker.
That morning, as I headed to my locker to check my set, there was a knot of laughing students, and a red-faced thief unable to wiggle away.
A teacher who came to see what the ruckus was laughed also, told me to release the thief, and asked that I please not trap anymore in school. He then walked away, saying he was shutting his door and I had a couple of minutes for revenge er.... release.
That was the last problem I had with my lunch.