• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Success with plastics

slabchaser

I just used a ratso today while fishing for crappies and now I can see what all the fuss is about. I have been a die hard bait guy until today. I was saving time by not having to bait up and instead i caught more fish. There was a little bit of a learning curve but once I observed what the fish wanted it was easy pickens. Thanks FMers for reccomending plastics.

You pointed out some of the best parts of using plastics. Another thing you will probably notice in due time, is that the fish seem to hit plastic harder than they do live bait, especially as we move closer to late ice. Going into March, plan to upsize your presentation and start moving to the shallows. You might have to pop a bunch of holes and somewhat sneek up to the fish as they can get spooky in the shallow water, but once you get it nailed down, you wont have time to fish two rods.

Slabchaser - you might need to change your signature now to "First rule of fishing - must have plastics!"

Since you guys recommend plastics so much, why not name off 2 or 3 lures or plastic body combinations that people could start off with to give them a try? Please limit it to 2 or 3 as I don't like system overloads in my brain and pocket book. I do very well with euros tipped on a couple different go to jigs...but if these plastics are as good as you say they are....well I'm not too proud to try something different. Thanks...FL (Looking at this post and some others...one must be a "ratso" eh?)

Ratso and Shrimpos both from Custom Jigs and Spins make a great starting point.

If you like those you can try berkely stuff such as small power minnows, tiny tubes, maki plastics, little atom stuff like nuggies.

There are unlimited possibilities when it comes to plastics.

size 10 optic stealth and a nuggie, and size 8 flutterbug with a nuggie also. Make sure the plastic is sitting horizontal in the water although on the optic stealth I have better success running it up the hook.

Gotta love the plastics! They will indeed help you become a better angler once you build the confidence up enough to where you can leave the live bait at home. Keep at it and continue to try different techniques until you find your "plastic niche." Then it's game on from there on out \:\)

Quote:
Question....if a guy starts out using a ratso do you tip it with anything or just use the ratso with the hook showing?

Quote:
if you are getting only sniffers with plastic only tip it with a euro......I almost always tip it with a euro personally....

I gotta agree with ozzie. i pretty much always get just sniffers. I like to pinch a waxie in half and let the guts flap in the breeze (water). They hit it almost right away every time with a fresh half. If the half starts to get stale (all the guts and goo are gone) they stop biting. I put a fresh half on again and wham-o.

Maybe I am not finding the ULTRA agressive fish, but if a subtle change in my presentation like a half waxie ices fish, that works for me!

I love the Genz Bug, however I don't believe it comes with any plastic attachment.... Does it?

A question I want to add, is what type of bobber do you use with a Genz Bug, that jig weighs a ton and drops like a rock! \:\) I usually use a slim slip bobber, but even that almost goes under. (Any good bobber that still is quite sensitive but floats better that I should use?)

I've pulled all my bobbers out of my winter tackle box. They sure are useful come summer, but I've found that besides a few applications of using an ice buster, I'm better off using a spring bobber or deadstick rod so I don't have to monkey with setting and resetting bobbers while ice fishing.

Your best bet with plastics is probably a spring bobber. Give the bait some action and watch that spring.