• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

If I said to you right now...................

Seabass77

I would say don't walk out any farther and deeper then you wish to fall in.

Yup..That's what I would say.

It is too early. Another week if it stays cold, ahhhh..mmmmmmaybe then. And only then if with a partner and fallow all the thin ice recommended precautions.

A tip-up in spitting distance from shore may be the ticket early anyhow? Often you get nice walleye very shallow at dusk at first ice. Right up tight where they were the last time you found them.

Set a tip up or two and back off to solid land and watch them. Thin ice carries sound well and casts shadows below. Getting off the ice limits spooking edgy shallow feeding fish.

I am not encouraging that even, because I strongly feel it is too early. But if you can't stand waiting, be smart about it at least.

If you have ever been under the ice battleing for your life, you would know it just is not worth the risk to push your luck!

------------------
Ed Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
701-281-2300
><,sUMo,>

I dont think I would be to ready. I was just out in the boat this weekend catching loads of walleyes so im still set on open water fishing.
But I think if 5" of ice magically appeared, in about a hour or so I could be ready. I would have to get everything gathered and get bait. Otherwise I dont have much more to do but organize the tackle box and switch some open water stuff over to icefishing stuff.

------------------
Fish ON!

First, I'd say "Cool...we have ice".

Then I would take a look at the prospects for the ice sticking around or going away. For example, the forecast right now through the weekend is calling for highs in the upper 20's with lows in the teens.

So, I would think that - if there were 5" or so of ice now - it would be pretty good by the weekend.

When the ice looks good, one more week of good cold weather makes a big difference in terms of safety. A little patience....

[This message has been edited by Jarrod32 (edited 11-03-2003).]

Unfair Question! Due to the fact that I know no where close to where I fish is there ice, it would take me a day to get the portable together but the main gear and a chair could be ready in minutes! Hand auger and rods are ready.

Yo UJ,
Hummmmmmmm, thoughts to ponder,
well it all depends here,
do we try the favorite wally spot or the favorite panfish hole,
ten minutes allready elapsed,
so, if i do the wally thing it could be fast and quick, beings it is close and a small river spot, ice should be a ok and safe, and shallow also,
therefore 30 minutes to wet lines.
now for the panfish,
lets see, quite a bit farther to go,
so, if we skip the drive time, we can focus on the other time consuming matters,
equip is ready so once we get there it is just the safety factor,
first we must check to see that the "GUARDIAN" fish hasn't spotted us and chipped away at the ice we would like to set up on, wink.gif
then thinking back to last year we had slow fishing for the big crapps,so now it would be nice to have a guide,
maybe a good crappie guide,
what the heck, lets go for a pro guide,
there we go, time to find a PRO CRAPPIE GUIDE,
so oncce we find a PRO CRAPPIE GUIDE fishing is going to be just to sweeeeeeet.
elapsed time,
your guess is as good as mine.
but, hope to see you there.
tnt
<(((((((((((((>< grin.gif

[This message has been edited by TNT4ME (edited 11-04-2003).]

Can UJ come out on the thin ice and play? We have some safe ice here but it might be gone after the weekend.
fish on
<((((((((((((><
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by TNT4ME (edited 11-10-2003).]

After getting everything ready during a disapointing Vikes game, I just need 5 minutes to get dressed and in the truck. But with 5 inches, I'd of already been out for a few days so don't be drilling your holes next to me at primetime! LOL

------------------
Love them 'Pout!