• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hakstol suspended two games

IFallsRon

The thing is he got caught. Your son was offended by this. Hope the sound wasn't on. Come on it is big boys playing hockey. Yes there is bad language, gestures. I seen the replay on TV it must have been a whole second worth. I have a daughter play high school hockey and it is hard to believe some of the words that are tossed in the action of a game. This whole thing has been blown out bad. Hakstol got caught. Big deal!!!!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I'd post this for you short memory sue fans and the "come on it's only once" excuses:

from http://www.in-forum.com

UND coach deserves suspension

Mike McFeely

The Forum - 02/05/2008

The University of North Dakota has exerted copious amounts of energy issuing written apologies for its hockey team in the past year. So much so that “Fight On Sioux,” the school’s fight song, was in danger of being replaced by the twangy Brenda Lee classic, “I’m Sorry.”

Robbie Bina, T.J. Oshie and Jonathan Toews apologized via press release for their roles in last February’s Judy’s Tavern affair. Joe Finley – all 6-foot-7 and 245 pounds of him – had to write an apology after hacking Wisconsin mascot Bucky Badger across the shins with a stick last November. And just this weekend, Sioux coach Dave Hakstol circulated a written apology after being caught on television flipping the middle digit of his right hand at official Don Adams during UND’s heated contest at Minnesota on Saturday.

Contrary to popular legend, the toughest job at UND is not athletic director. It is media relations director. Typing all that contrition can leave a guy with a nasty case of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Hakstol’s YouTube moment elicited the expected frightening responses from cyberspace. A popular Sioux fan Web site and a chat room set up on The Forum’s site had numerous responses trumpeting two testosterone-fueled defenses: 1) Adams deserved to be the recipient of the obscene gesture and 2) this was a hockey game, not some supposedly less macho activity like figure skating or golf, so a one-fingered salute was a proper way for Hakstol to vent his frustration.

UND’s administration clearly did not prescribe to this juvenile way of thinking. Hakstol was suspended for two games Monday by co-acting athletic directors Betty Ralston and Steve Brekke. Hakstol will miss UND’s series against Denver Feb. 15-16 in Grand Forks.

Funny, isn’t it? The school is tougher on the coach than the coach has been on his players.

Here are some words not used much recently as they pertain to Sioux athletic administration: UND got this one right. Hakstol deserved to go to the penalty box for two games.

While Sioux extremists are cheering Hakstol’s obscenity and laying the blame for his suspension everywhere but where it belongs – on him – the coach’s vertical middle finger was an immature and embarrassing gesture for an experienced coach who should know better. Hakstol’s own apology admitted as much. So why the wailing and gnashing of teeth?

Hakstol is a high-profile, well-compensated employee of UND. As such, it’s his responsibility to act in a manner that represents the university in an adult, professional manner. Flipping the bird at a referee does not qualify. End of discussion. It can’t get any simpler. And while an apology was necessary, it doesn’t excuse the action. There has to be some penalty, some deterrent, for such behavior.

Those crying foul over Hakstol’s suspension are missing the point. The discussion should not be over whether Hakstol deserves a suspension. That’s a no-brainer. The question should be why Sioux hockey players and coaches are continually doing things for which they need to issue written apologies.

Forum sports columnist Mike McFeely can be heard on the Saturday Morning Sports Show, 10 a.m. to noon on WDAY-AM (970). He can be reached at (701) 241-5580 or [email protected]. McFeely’s blog can be found at http://www.areavoices.com

Fasternu, every poster on this board and 99% of Siox fans recognizes Hasktol's mistake in judgement and moved on. Fargo and GF are pretty much "rival" towns. As for the column, the Fargo Forum puts about as much praise on the Sioux program as the Mpls Star Tribune - or as much about the GF Herald sheds on the UMtc program. However, when something negative happens, the Forum is always first to judge.

A vast majority of things the article is referring to have been minor offensives, such as a party complaint. Last I checked, these are college kids . . . I'm not gonna start listing all of the things other hockey programs have done, because it's all apples-to-apples.

What, a writer from Fargo speaking ill about Grand Forks? \:o Say it isn't so, I am shocked!!!!! \:\/

I think Fargo still has Nickel Trophy envy, don't worry with UND going DI now we can soon re-establish and extend our dominance in the Nickel Trophy rivalry. And yes it is relevant to bring up football in a hockey thread since NDSUCKS doesn't have a hockey team.

Robbie Bina, T.J. Oshie and Jonathan Toews apologized via press release for their roles in last February’s Judy’s Tavern affair. Joe Finley – all 6-foot-7 and 245 pounds of him – had to write an apology after hacking Wisconsin mascot Bucky Badger across the shins with a stick last November. And just this weekend, Sioux coach Dave Hakstol circulated a written apology after being caught on television flipping the middle digit of his right hand at official Don Adams during UND’s heated contest at Minnesota on Saturday.

PURE CLASS RIGHT HERE. PATHETIC

And the Blarney boys at the U are doing that school proud.

College kids will make mistakes. I would be writing for weeks if I had to apologize for all the stupid stuff that I have done. Maybe we should all have coaches that make us own up to our mistakes when we act like richards.

Quote:
After u watch the video, notice the other videos that UND is always involved.

Thats what I love about the Sioux!!! They'll drop their gloves when they can, they'll score when they can and get a win out of it when it happens. The NHL does it. GO SIOUX!

Originally Posted By: PierBridge
Actually the Sue looked horrible Friday I'm sure Hakstool reamed the arse's before Satudays game .

Horrible enough for another victory, and a 4 point weekend against a tough Denver team. Gelling at the right time, no matter who is calling the shots behind the bench!!!!

Go Sioux!!

Originally Posted By: backstrap
The Sioux still won on Friday I do remind you. How did the Rodents do against Denver recently???

Yes the Sue won Friday but they didn't play very good.

Quote from Hackstool!

"Friday was nightmare I'm not sure we can get away with playing 1 bad game a weekend in playoffs our defense has to tighten up and not make the big mistakes we have been making early on in Games"

Carry on children.........My dad "gopher dad" is tougher then your dad "sue dad" and has more recent NCAA and WCHA "both regular season and playoff" Titles than your dad also.

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: yakfisher
Recent? It's strange that you feel the need to use such a qualifying term. If I were to use a qualifier I might say something like;

"The Sioux have more titles than the Gophers, Period."

Stop living in the past!

True story!

My Uncle "wolverine" said to tell both of the gopher and sue fans that we "MICHIGAN" have more Hockey National Titles than the both of your overrated teams.

I then said to him "uncle wolv" stop living in the past old man and his answer was...... "not only do we have the defending National Hockey champions in our conference we "MICH" are the #1 team in the Nation and we "MICH" have the same amount "2" of Hockey National championships the Gophers or Sue have in the last 12 years"

He's a Lawyer so I quit arguing after that! crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: PierBridge
I was over the Gophers season before it started a rocket science course wasn't needed to determine the Gophers were going nowhere this year.

I predicted in these forums that the Gophers would not Finnish in the top 4 of the conference and an NCCA bid for the Gophers was a pipe dream......So I don't need a hug!

Actually it seems a few of the ND posters are the ones whining and taking this a little to seriusly.....get over it the Gophers have more recent NCAA's titles "2" and Conference championships then the Sue.

Deal with it!.... grin.gif

Seems as though the Chokers are staring down an 8 or worse finish, no where near the 4 you predicted. But recently they did win the Final Five... but then they lost to the Sioux when it counted. Maybe you do need a hug after all.

Quote:
no where near the 4 you predicted.

You sure make my job easy...LOL

Ummmm.... I said the Gophers WOULD NOT finish in the top 4 of the conference.

Yes the Sue ended our season as theirs was ended without a NCAA title....so the drought continues for the Sue!