• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice fishing boots?

redhooks

Mickey Mouse boots are by far the warmest thing I've ever put on my feet. I've had them on in some very nasty conditions hunting and ice fishing and never, and I do mean never, had cold feet. The only down side to them is they are heavy. If you do alot of walking, you may need to weigh the pros and cons. If you're not familiar with them, you can buy them at military surplus stores and Sportsmans guide, not sure of the other sporting goods stores carry them or not. The other big benefit, they are cheap. I think you can get a pair for about $30?

I've been using the same pair of "Mickry Mouse/Bunny boots" for 15 yrs. and have NEVER had cold or wet feet. They're not made for a lot of walking, but they are perfect for icefishing.

hawgTime

[This message has been edited by hawgTime (edited 09-26-2003).]

Me 2! I have had mickey mouse boots for about 5 years or so. I love them. By FAR the best boot I have ever warn.

Many times last winter I have had ice freeze up all the way around my boots on the outside and inside, my feet are nice and cozy! They are 100% water proof.

I too have had them in some nasty conditions. Only once did my feet get cold and that was when snowmobiling in -20ºF. So we stopped and dumped warm water in the boots to warm it up and then dried the inside out and wallah! Nice warm feet for the rest of the ride home. I was happy after that one.

The only thing against them is they are heavy compared to any other boot. But if you walk in them for a while and get used to them, they are fine.

I would recommend a pair of these to everybody.

------------------
Fish ON!

I have tried a lot of different boots,and the Mickey Mouse boots are by far the warmest.I was hesitant to get a pair becuase they are all rubber and don't breath.I thought with all that moisture in my boot my feet will surely freeze once I get to my spot and start fishing.The sealed insulation inside the boot never gets wet so your feet stay nice and toasty even when they are a little damp from your own sweat.I don't know how it works but your feet never seem to get hot in them either.

Hearing all of the positive comments about Mickey Mouse boots reminds me of the time Sugar Hills Ski Area, now defunct, allowed a bunch of Marines from Camp Lejeune to train there for two weeks. This was '80 or '81 and we had little snow but it was cold. Too cold it ends up to be sleeping in tents and wearing their Mickey Mouse boots. Many had frostbitten toes before it was over. It was kind of funny to see these guys learning to ski as most had never seen snow before. It was a pity that so many were ill-prepared for the weather. I hope current footwear for cold weather military (and fishing)operations are much better than what these guys put up with.

Kevin

I prefer ice kings or icemans I usually get the safety toes they work good for punching out half frozen holes and breaking the house loose and LaCrosse safety toes are about as light as non safety. I find the Lacrosse boots are as warm as bunny boots I had a pair of bunnies but the soles were hard leather and slippery.
What ever you do dont try to save money on cheap boots it isnt worth it. I would also recomend a second pair of liners to swap out in case of moisture.
Keep dry
Tim

I have bunny boots, LaCrosse Ice Kings and Muklucks. Ill take the bunny boots for snowmobiling because of size and can be beat up more. Ice kings are okay if you dont have to walk much and they dont fit well in the spot on a snowmobile. But the Steger Muklucks from Ely are the hands down winner for all around use!!!!

------------------
End of the Line Charters
Lake Superior
1-888-U-HOOK-EM
www.fishontheline.com

I have a pair of Rockey Bear Claw II. They are 1000 gram insulated gore tex boots. They have kept me warm enough the last 2 years that I havn't even worn my Sorels. They are warm enough yet small enough that you can be mobile.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

Wool socks and Big Ol' Mickey Mouse Boots do me fine in serious cold and wet. Add 1/4 sheet metal screws to the lugs and run like a Wabbit on the ice.
B9301_F.gif
Going on 15 years on one set. Might just get me a new set this winter, maybe?

Mild dry/cold with long walks, then wool socks and my Gore-Tex and Thinsulate leathers are sufficient.
69617.JPG
Georgia Boots Men's Insulated Waterproof Gore-Tex Millenium 2000 Trekker. - Guacho Waterproof Full Grain Leather. 2000 Gram Thinsulate Ultra Insulation. Full Cambrelle Lined Gore-Tex Bootie. Leather Padded Collar. Achilles Tendon Pad. Extra Heavy Ankle Pad On Lateral Stabilizer. Pull Thru Eyelets & Hooks Clinched On Steel Washers. Double Fluted Cinch Hooks For Ease In Tying. Poliyou Removable Orthotic Insert. Notched Storm Welt. Repairable Goodyear Welt Construction. Exclusive Georgia Ice Trekker Oil Resistant Rubber Outsole With Removable 10mm Ice Spikes & Metal Filler Plugs. Double Nylon Pull Loops For Easier Entry. Attachment Tools, Spikes, & Filler Plugs Located In Side Tool Pouch On Both Boots. (Not cheap but very sweet.)

------------------
Ed Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
701-281-2300
><,sUMo,>

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 10-30-2003).]