• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do I improve/clean up this pic?

With all of the knowledgable folks in here, I thought I'd post this pic and get your feedback on how I can "clean it up" so it's ready for a frame. I'm not remotely close to a skilled photographer, so I'd really appreciate the thoughts of you in here who have a sharper eye and mind for this sort of thing.

I really like this photo (as you can see by my avatar), but I'm sure it can be improved with a little work. If I print out the photo, I get more detail than I'd like- it's not silhoutted enough. So, I'm thinking I should darken the figures a little so it's fully silhoutted. Also, what do you think about the grasses in the foreground at the bottom- do I black them out or leave them? What else?

Sil-1.jpg

It's a good shot, Scoot. I'd leave in the grass, though I'd clone out or darken the bit in the lower righthand corner that's really bright because it's distracting.

I agree it should be a total silhouette. Even if you brightened it to get more detail in the hunters it would bring out a ton of grain and digital noise. I don't know what pp program you use, but darkening it in photoshop I'd go to levels and grab the shadow slider and move it to the right until it was dark enough to suit me. Then give it a saturation boost to bring out the sky colors.

That's just IMO. Here's how it looks after I did those things. If after saturating you find the grass in the foreground too yellow, it'd be simple to lasso the whole foreground and then desaturate it a bit.

silhouette.jpg

Steve, thanks much! I hoped you'd give me your feedback. I didn't expect you to take a shot at cleaning it up too- awesome! Thanks a lot.

Ya know... for a Sioux fan, you're alright! ;\)

X-tackle, thanks. I can't tell you how much fun we had chasing them down!

I like the total silhoutte as well but I don't care for the grass at the bottom, it keeps pulling my eye down to the bottom and away from the main subject the hunters. I would darken the grass completely or just allow a bit to show through. Just another opinion. It is a really cool shot no matter what you do. Oh and...Go Sioux! (Class of 82')

Great shot! Steve, nice job of touching. Although, like Dbl, I think the grass distracts a little. \:\)\:\)

Scoot, you can't make a good photo from one that was composed poorly to begin with. All the clean up in the world won't help. This is an example of a GREAT photo that can be made even more appealing with a little PS work. Well done! \:\)

Scoot, I remember when you posted your story with that picture in it, and it is by far one of the best photos I have seen of a self-guided elk hunt. I like what Steve did, and I don't think the grass is distracting, IMO, although DBL and Finnbay are the experts grin.gif

Nate, it's a completely level playing field when it comes to what a person does and doesn't like about an image. In that arena, the only expert is one's self.

Not to take anything away from Dan and Ken. They'd tell you the same thing. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Originally Posted By: stfcatfish
Nate, it's a completely level playing field when it comes to what a person does and doesn't like about an image. In that arena, the only expert is one's self.

Not to take anything away from Dan and Ken. They'd tell you the same thing. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Yep we sure would, it really is the eye of the beholder. Everyone looks at a photo and will see something just a bit different, what they like and dislike. It is all subjective and there is no right or wrong. That is why it is nice to get a number of responses to these posts. I find it very interesting and helpful to see what others think works or doesn't work in shots.

Thanks guys. I agree with you that it's definitely a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" kinda thing and is subjective. However, there's definitely skill, talent, and a knack for it-- all of which I lack. I knew I'd get some great suggestions and help in here from you guys- thanks very much!!! I appreciate all of the feedback.

Quote:

Couldn't agree more! I enjoy the feedback from all of you and have learned a lot.

I would do what Steve has done but I would crop a lot of the grass from the bottom and the brush from the side. I adjusted the levels similar to Steve's upped the saturation and then ran it through noise ninja to bring the noise down and this is what I came up with. I love the shot no matter what you do with it, just my 2 cents. (Go Sioux!!!)

Sil-1edited.jpg