• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

do you guys pefer plastic over live bait?

South_Metro_Slayer

I would say that 98% of the time im going to use plastics before live bait. I like them mostly for the versatility you can fish them more ways than you can even think of and they come in a wide variety of colors, shapes, sizes, and applications. When I started I bought Ratsos, Ratfinkees, and Shrimpos made by Custom Jigs and Spins. I still use these all the time, but for the most part I am using the finesse plastics and wedgees on other types of jigs Wolframs and Diamond jigs are favorites of mine. There is a pretty decent article on sight fishing panfish in the new in-fisherman thats goes into plastics and how to rig them for certain applications.

Um... Yes ! grin.gif When I started Ice fishing I used a lot of live bait but that was because we didn't have all the choices we do now. One of the main reasons I prefer plastics is they stay on the hook better and I don't have to worry about them dying. There are a lot of good choices out there for plastics so don't be afraid to give them a try.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

Couldn't agree more with the posts above... for me, plastic will out-fish live-bait for not only numbers, but for size of fish as well. You're a lot more productive with plastics and you go on the offensive instead of sitting back. Targeting aggressive fish is oftentimes the name of the game, and using some sort of plastic option allows you to increase your odds. However, when it calls for a finesse approach, you better believe a small plastic finesse tail will seal the deal smile.gif

OK, I'm going to give these things a try, but have a couple of questions.

1) Ratsos, shrimpos, ratfinkees...any other "must haves" ??

2) What colors and sizes? I have always liked smaller sizes for finesse fishing, but sometimes a pain to get them down on light ice line.

Thanks.

Quote:

OK, I'm going to give these things a try, but have a couple of questions.

1) Ratsos, shrimpos, ratfinkees...any other "must haves" ??

2) What colors and sizes? I have always liked smaller sizes for finesse fishing, but sometimes a pain to get them down on light ice line.

Thanks.

Those are great plastics... also look into the glo-tails from Lindy. They are deadly especially in dark/stained water as well as night.

If you are having trouble getting your line down... then there is an issue with what line you have chosen. You need to match the line with the lure set-up you are choosing. That is MORE important than matching up your line to a fish weight. That is what drag and back-reeling is for. You line should be light enough to drop the lure down fairly fast. If it is not, you need to either lighten your line, or use heavier jigs. The longer your jig is below the ice, the more fish you will catch!

Definitely get plenty of the smaller sizes, say 12 and up. The bigger baits are great when the fish are more active but when they're not you need to go as small and slow as you can. Yes, it can be a pain to fish that way, especially in deeper water, but you have to do what the fish tell you to do. You can always apply a small weight to your line. Pick up just about anything that's out there for your arsenal. Ratsos, shrimpos, the Lindy Techno-glows are good. There's getting to be so much available in ice plastics now. Good luck.

variety is best!! I stock the smallest size to the biggest size and try to get multiple colors....never know what they will prefer....sometimes the smaller one will get the finicky fish and sometimes the small fish won't leave the little one alone and you need to upsize......everyday something different.....plastics are good but sometimes you need to tip them with 1 euro larvae and it will make a big difference!!! Good Luck

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

It never ceases to amaze me how many will stick with live bait when a buddy is right next to them doing as well if not better with plastic when holding a rod in hand.

I like plastic over live bait for sure. There are times when you do need to add a little meat to get them going. Even then if I can get back to plastics I will do it.

For panfish I rarely even bring livebait along anymore. Maybe a few minnows if I want to set up a deastick. But most of mine are caught working plastics.

I got school several years ago by a number of FMers using plastics ans I had live bait and only caught a few. I'm stubborn but I'm not dumb. wink.gif Now I have lots of plastics.

So If I throw down a white shrimpo, should I tip it with a waxy or a euro larva? Once its down, Im assuming you have to constantly jig it? What are some of you guys preferred jigging techniques?

I have never used plastics, so I know nothing. HELP!? smile.gif

Look at it this way--if the lure has a bare hook like a rocker, Genz bug, etc., you should tip it with something, either live or plastic. A shrimpo or any other jig with a body or hook covering will catch fish just fine right out of the packaging.

Quote:

So If I throw down a white shrimpo, should I tip it with a waxy or a euro larva? Once its down, Im assuming you have to constantly jig it? What are some of you guys preferred jigging techniques?

New to plastics? Yes... tip your lure with some meat. If I were to fish a white shrimpo for bluegills or crappie, I would probably start out tipping the lure with 1 or 2 eurolarvae, probably a red one and a white one.

Hook the Euro through the end which has the 2 dark dots on it and let it hang off the hook. Don't thread the Euro onto the hook. You want to hook it through one end and let it hang or dangle off the hook. They are tough, they will stay on for multiple fish.

At this point, hole hop around with your flasher until you locate fish near the bottom. Drop your lure down until it reaches the top of the fish and start jigging right above them.

I prefer a very, very subtle jigging motion. Dave Genz describes it as a "pounding" motion, some describe it as a kicking motion. With a horizontal lure like a Ratso, you want the head of the jig to essentially remain in one place, while the hook end or tail kicks up and down every so slightly. Just lower your lure a couple inches under water and practice and watch what the lure does. You'll notice the lure stays put but the tail just quivers and dances in place. I would describe this as a desired action.

Once you have the action down, watch how your fish react on the flasher. Do they immediately rise and hit your bait? Do they slowly rise and then proceed to watch it for awhile? Can you raise them up in the water column 2-4' and then they hit? Do they even come up to look at all? These are all indicators to the mood of the bluegill and will tell you whether or not you need to adjust your presentation larger or smaller, meat or no meat, different plastic, different color, etc...

Have fun! Experimenting with different plastics is a whole lot of fun!

Quote:

do you guys perfer plastics over live bait i have never used plastics ice fishin im thinkin of givin it a try what should i start with? thanks

Yes! It sure is fun tricking a fish into striking plastic, artificial, feather/hair, or just some metal. Live bait is like a tradition, a passage for any fisherperson.

Take it from a salty old dog that's been pan fishing for over a half century.Take both live bait and plastics. You can't go wrong with waxies.I agree with ozzie about variety. Keep you options open and give the fish what they want. Dont get stuck on one thing.

Color of jigs is important.Some colors will out fish others hands down.

I have been fishing plastics for bluegills and crappies for quite sometime.

Here's my go to list..

Maki Plastics - Maki, white, glow, red and brown

Custom Jigs and Spins finesse plastic tails in glow, black and chartreuse

Little Atom - Nuggies glow, noodles and duppies in hot pink, pink/red

I think glow is probably the most important color. This season I have not used live bait at all maybe one spike added to plastic if things slowed once or twice but that was it. Little Atom and Maki's stuff comes scented. If you haven't tried plastics give em a whirl they do work and work well.

I've caught all my big crappies on a verticle jig tipped with a minnow head. It always seems to catch fish for me and I trap my own minnows so I never have to pay for anything. Theres was one day they were biting on plastics for me, but they were also bitting better on minnows.

I seem to always get the fish to only sniff it when I have just plastics. I do the best with a ratso, when i have 1/2 a waxie on it. And, the more stringy guts waving in the water the better.

Well I've bought two boxes of waxies in the past two winters. Both boxes maybe had 2-3 waxies used out of them. I don't know how many times I've been asked what I was using as I caught fish and the guys I was fishing with had a tougher bite.

Part of the effectiveness of the plastics is unlocked once you get a feel of what color, jigging motion etc the fish want. It's all about gaining confidence in your bait. I've been able to work different fish diffferently based on their response to what I was doing as seen on my Marcum LX5. Believe or not I've caught several while deadsticking plastics without any livebait.

Good Luck!

I've caught them deadsticking the plastic too on Tonka Crappies. It's all about getting that confidence in your bait and technique. It helps a lot using plastics with the flasher, to me you almost need a flasher to use plastics unless you're sight fishing they can be used then too.

Originally Posted By: Borch
Believe or not I've caught several while deadsticking plastics without any livebait.

You aren't talking about the URL crappies we picked up last winter on deadsticked Berkley Power Minnows? Craziest thing I've ever seen.

When I fish two rods up on URL, I fish a jig & minnow on my "deadstick" and then actively jig a Power Minnow on my other rod near the bottom. When the deadstick rod starts making the bend, its drop everything time and run over the 5-10 yards to grab it. So I catch the fish, rebait, and while I'm monkeying around, I look back at my other rod which is a Power Minnow now sitting a couple feet near the bottom as I just set the rod there to get the other one. And guess what? Crappie on! Unbelievable... This seriously happened about 6 times that day.