• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice fishing 2007-2008

John that trout was mad that he actually got caught it was a pretty good battle. The suit looks so clean because for one I just washed it a couple of days ago and two i don't own a power auger that spews oil \:o I am acutally thinking about buying a new one this summer as my suit is getting pretty beat up its got a couple small tears near the boots and a messed up a couple of the zippers guess they are only rated for about 1,000 hours of abuse \:\)

Jay and Tank I'll have the C report midday on friday Timmy will be calling with the update. Far as I know the shorelines are solid and the ice is still 10-12" with Fridays and Saturdays high/lows it will be perfect

Fished a 10-12 acre private pond that ive never fished before for 2 hours this evening 5:30-7:30 got into some (around 17) nice 8-9" pumpkinseeds and a 2lb Largie along with another nice bass? that broke my 3lb test line like nothing. my buddy set up his tipups and pulled in 5 2-3lb largies a 4lber and a fat 23" pickerel and a skinny 15"ish pickerel.

only got a picture of this guy \:\)

DSC02979.jpg

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Change of plans guys will be heading up to fish C off the Hygher water area. Will be leaving here in a few minutes. Coop school is closed today but every other school in the area has a 2 hour delay. Little O is pretty slushy looking but we will see how C looks. Got 2-3" of snow in town here but my buddy said he's got 7" on the mountain and his old man got 6" in the valley just south of me.

Timmy I'll be calling with a personal report around Noon so Jay, Tank and the boys can get their plans set for Saturday. \:\)

Talked to the King twice and C's good to go, going off LC in the morning. Bite was slow of hygher still in single digits at 1:10 p.m... Thanks Tim for the info and good luck tomorrow. Ice conditions 9" black, 1 to 2" of white ice on top of that and 2-3" of slush snow on the very top, may lock up with the cooling tonight. Getting towards the end here guys. Todd call me and let me know what you want to do. I'll be in Frankie's area in the morning searching for slobs and big hooey's ;\)

SLOW SLOW SLOW Fishing C off hygher water fished 6fow-40fow few fish marked and the ones we did mark would race up to the jig then turn back around without even a nibble. Did manage 7 perch from 9-11" and 1 8"ish bluegill. The 2 guys I was fishing with ended up with 10 nice ones combined. Bite might be on tomorrow and fish might be off the LC.

Chef - No worries I'll send you the email list. I kept it for such an occasion ;\) just didn't think it would be you again grin.gif

I am fishing in the morning Chef so hollar at me when you get a break... Todd's 50/50 for tommorrow, we got pretty beaten up off LC, pulled off there at 1:30 p.m. with a few and a couple of rockbass. Very slow... Jay found a few more and some bigger fish but it was a slow grind, most of our fish never came out of more than 8' of water. Talked with Z and Tim and him were off the restaurant, seemed they were starting to get some nicer fish while I was on the phone with them. I took a pic of Todd's nice smallie and a couple of a nice perch I caught. Relaxing now and waiting for Jay's final report.

Ice was a good 9" of balck with very few air bubbles and the shore was fantastic going on and off. Little crusty slop ontop of the ice that likes to bog the trap down a bit but not too bad walking...

Here are some pics from today and a couple of nice macro shots from Todd's cam.

picture039ez4.jpg

picture041li9.jpg

picture042vw0.jpg

picture043lz3.jpg

picture044yt6.jpg

picture045jv3.jpg

Nice going on the Perch guys \:\) Fishing has been really screwy there the past couple of weeks

Fished little O from 9am-2pm had a whole crew out today beers, bbq the whole 9 yards

got a total of 5 keeper perch 10-13" lost another 6 or so at the hole

DSC02991.jpg

a bunch of pickerel again around 25 including this little guy all of about 8"

DSC02988.jpg

the one guy got a nice 3.5lbish smallie pic of the release \:\)

DSC02990.jpg

My buddy got a real nice 23" Brown Trout(on the gaff ruler) Had to be darn close to 5lbs He wanted me to pull this fish in but i was letting him get most of the flags since he only fishes on the weekends with us

DSC029866.jpg

Back from C and cant complain. The three of us tallied 35 keepers and I lead the way with 15 beuts. The two best ones were 14 inches and just short of 14. Im paying for it now but sightfishing them in 5-6 foot of water was awesome! I lost 2 that were around 13in and missed one that I dare say was over 14. I drilled a ton of holes but every 4th one would pay off.

We are officially done for the year - that ice will be good for tomorrow and monday but time to play it safe and switch gears to stream trout...

Timmy and Todd to the left with Tank and Billy working the deep stuff...

p3290764bh2.jpg

These things look huge when they come in on a jig and what a fight!

p3290774rp5.jpg

I got your hair jig right here buddy!

p3290776my2.jpg

Not as bad as dropping a phone down the hole whistle.gif, but a tragedy none the less. Solid carbon is no match for the scissor like action of a fish trap opening. Some saving grace is the fact that the rod is now cut down to 18 inches and with some sanding and repositioning of guides - i'll have a new sightfishing rod...

p3290778zc8.jpg

Worth the pain? You betcha!

p3290784od2.jpg

Comming of the ice for the last time tis year...

p3290782is5.jpg

Awsome pics Jay! You worked your butt off and were rewarded with some beautiful slobosauras's... Good fishing with you... Sorry about the rod, but you gotta few months to sand her down and get her ready for next season.. Ican't stop looking at those perch, HUGE!

Talked to Z he had 5 keepers, marked and caught alot of smalls on the north end..

Dougy I'll call you in a bit..

Well boys, I may hit Short tomorrow. It's locked up even more after the last 2 day and after tonight it should be good for a couple of more days. If it's iffy I won't do it then decide on Ebanks, D-Res or Sandy. I drove by all the local places and most have open water but short was still ice with no water in sight and even looked like that old timer was there in the morning, I saw where someone walked out and drilled holes in that back corner. If I go I will leave from that shore and not mess with the creek or that nice metal break wall that's been eating up the suns rays and melting the ice there and I will have a partner for sure.

Good luck tomorrow Lee and be safe the south east shore on Oneida from marion manor to callihans marina is open water for about a 1000 yrds out or more from shore.The middle of the lake where cannaseraga creek dumps in is open water from larkin point to freemac marina she is going to go quick now.

Jay it was nice to fish with you Tank and billy today Nice fish Bro those are some SLOB perch good luck on the trout fishing.The next time I see you guys it will be on the open water.Sorry to here about the ice rod, look at it this way we know a guy that can fix them or can make another one ;).I know you put allot of time into makeing these rods but sh!t happens see you on the openwater Bud Thunder out grin.gif.

Todd - Lee is gonna fish E-Banks with us.. Lee will be a little late, he has to make a stop on the way down. Manlius Mike will be off LC and Bibik tomorrow early fishing the shallows if anyone is heading south east from CNY. Mike will be going light jet sled, no shack, probably wearing his Cabela's forest green guide wear.

Originally Posted By: Thunderman

, look at it this way we know a guy that can fix them or can make another one ;).I know you put allot of time into makeing these rods but sh!t happens see you on the openwater Bud Thunder out grin.gif.

Things happen and rods break - I havent broken one in a few years but it was the closeing trap last time too! Honestly I needed another sight rod anyways, lol...

Good luck tomorrow guys, we are packing the stuff away and dusting off the flyrods...

Jay - Mike didn't bring his otter and they are not catching much of anything down there since when I talked to him at 12:45 p.m. Mike already moved to deeper water. A couple of other guys were in the shallows during the morning and didn't fair well at all for the perch but got some nice rock bass.. Mike didn't try the shallows very long everbody was pulling back into the basin from 27' to 38' looking for active fish... Wow!!! Just got a cell phone from Mike and there doing pretty good in the deep water now, he just sent me a pic with 6 nice perch (2 slobs) from his phone, maybe there picking up in the 38' he's 200 yards north of Bibik in the basin, he's on the phone right now and got his 7th keeper, sounds like a nice hole. He wen't out from the southwest corner where the bluegillers come out of...

Todd and I fished E-Banks and caught just a few fish, 3 crappies about 5 or 6 nice gills and I lost a nice largie at the hole... Here are some pics...

1001157nu1.jpg

1001158uc8.jpg

1001160mk3.jpg

And then we moved to Lebanon and caught some small gills. Took this shot of this horse and buggy by the launch..

1001161cu8.jpg

Nice fishing with you Todd..

Fished little O today from 8:30am-1:30pm in one spot and from 5pm-8pm in another spot fishing was slow in the morning but better in the evening even if most of the flags were pickerel

ended up with a grand total of 10 keeper perch 9-12" around 35 pickerel, 5 largemouths 1 1/2-3lbers, a nice 3lbish smallie and a 19 1/2" Brown trout. lots of flags with no fish on the other end \:\)

Brown Trout 1st one he's ever pulled through the ice \:\)

DSC029933.jpg

Surgery

DSC02992.jpg

a nice shot from the other days snowstorm taken from the C parking lot \:\)

DSC02980.jpg

Heard a couple of guys went swimming on the North end of C today near the inflowing creeks not sure if they got out alright or not.

Last I talked to Timmy - they were haveing a rough go of it. A few fish here and there and lots of rain!!!

I got a bad feeling this rain will mess up the creeks for tomorrow bad! I dont mind high and murky but out of the banks and chocolate milk color is not good. We'll wander around if our first spot is bad and should be able to find some small creek somewhere thats remotly fishable an has some native brookies...

Fished C off Bibs got beat up pretty bad 8:30am-1:30pm saw one hogger in the shallows that barely nipped the bait and caught 5 really small perch

got 3 nice ones in the deep and 3 more under 9"

my buddy who rarely jigs for perch got a 13 1/4" real fat female in the shallows and a nice smallie and another 2 nice hoggers in the deep along with 2 more under 9"

13" fattie sorry for the haze it was raining all day and the lens was a bit foggy \:\)

DSC02996.jpg

12 1/2" male probably the biggest male perch I have ever seen

DSC02999.jpg

Well like you guys said it's the end... Tough day on C, 2 perch shallow 3 deep and a wet arse. I was soaked through pretty good. Will get em next year.. This weekend the gear is coming out and the seats are going back in the van.. Open water here we come. Good luck with your trout opener if you can get out ina creek that's not at flood stage...