• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice fishing 2007-2008

Well guys be careful I went to bb and dec spill response were cutting up the shoreline with ice saws and putting containment floats in.Then proceeded to Leb. couple small gills there real slow so I figured Id head to Oneida down by damon pt try to catch the perch and sunnys in the shallow water.Well I ended up wet up to my crotch ,The shoreline was a bit iffy but its shallow there so I got up on "safe ice" seen alot of small gas holes 1-2" diameter. then went another 50 yds and went through ice seems safe on top but is very honeycomby there I think it was a combo of the sun and the sand under the ice melting from the underside unevenly.Needless to say my trip to the big "O" was a short one and my last of the season. Be careful guys im sticking local the rest of the season.

Chris

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the report Chris that is good to know, it is a good thing you got out safe thats the important thing.This weekend is going to be my last outing for this year untill open water.I think we got real lucky this year with the ice conditions.

Kirk - Atleast it was shallow and your fine. Scary stuff though. Beth still want to fish but she's done for the year. I dont want any chance of that hapening to her...

Thunder - I'd say we had a good year. We were on the ice Dec 11th and can still get on it. See you tomorrow...

Chris I tried to call you... Glad your o.k. I don't know that area of the lake very well but I'm very glad it was not over your head. That's scary stuff right there. E-Banks is still good to go if you feel like you want to do a bit this weekend.

Well guys if these weather idiots are remotely right I see the wind at 9 mph from the NW for early morning diminishing to 6 mph through the afternoon. Sounds great, see you in the morning...

Tim-Sorry dont get any cell rec. here it rings but I cant here anyone when I answer I tried calling you back from the home phone.Todd and Doug both have my home # feel free to get it from them good luck today.I have an easter egg hunt today with the young ones andhope to get out this afternoon.

Ok Chris will do..

Way to go King that's a dandy brown!

Tank, Billy, Dark Cloud, Lee and Todd all fished together and Rich fished with us as well for a little bit. We had a working/moving day, all day and except for a few hot holes Dark Cloud and Todd led the way. I had one decent flurry in a hole That was over to quick.. cry.gif We ripped and ripped looking for concentration but only a few holes paid off. I caught more crappie than sunfish, go figure.. I took a couple shot's with the digital and naturally a couple of them didn't come out??? Well here's what I have... Last time for fishing Oneida for me probably finish up on C the rest of the season if I feel the need to cut more holes.

Here's Tank with a nice snaggle...

1001146dh8.jpg

Billy with a nice sunfish..

1001145bc4.jpg

Here is my one and only hot hole..

1001147ao8.jpg

Itook a couple more pics but this camera is about ready to get dropped down the hole. Maybe I can put a little scratch together for a new one for next season.

Thanks for Barbecue kielbasa Jay and also the meat sticks, as always great fishing with you guys...

Great fishing with the guys today we didn't set the world on fire but we all caught fish cool.gif.Thanks DC and Tank for the snacks and nice meeting you Billy.Lee get that boat ready when it thaws it will be time grin.gif.Timmy thinking about a half day tomorrow at e-banks I haven't heard anything from the Chef yet I am sure that tomorrow will be the last outing for me ICE OUT.

Nice job on the pannies guys I guess fishing was slow all over today?

I went out for bluegills this evening from 5:15pm-7:15pm Me and my buddy combined only managed 5 dink perch, 3 dink bluegills, a 8" crappie and a 15" pickerel not even many bigger fish marked on the fishfinders \:\(

Looks like we'll be hitting Southern C tommorow for gills/perch

"some days your the dog, some days your the bone". Everyone had a great day on the ice; the four F's - family, friends, food, and fish. I had an even better day thanks to a few hot holes. Getting to sight fish those crappies and big sunfish in that last hole was alot of fun! That ice is about shot. I didnt like how it was drilling towards the end of the day, with the bottoms of the holes blowing right out. Plus the ice was getting that grey look.

Probably another trip or two on C or Sandy and trout will be open anyways...

BTW - nice brown FishK, even if it was caught on a tip-up. whistle.gif

Looks like it was a good time guys sorry I missed it im going to try to get out during the week after work might hit chittenango creek for trout(open yr rnd on a stretch)water is crystal clear have to put my slippers on and sneak up on em ;\)

Happy Easter all!

Chris,

I've got an interesting video on sneaking up on trout. Pretty simple but it's cool to see it in action. I'll have to make you a copy and give it and the others to you. UL tackle, and small spinners on the one, threaded live worm on the other. Ever thread a worm and keep it alive? Pretty cool and it makes 'em bite! We'll hae to test that "Bait Stick" too. I've seen it used and it's amazing how the bait is stuck on the hook and doesn't come off! Imagine the possiblilties!! Lively crickets, bugs,hoppers......hmmmmm. Good for panfish too!!! Heck, anything!!! Great for use with kids. Well, got to run. More later....

Where's Todd and Doug??? How was the panfish bite guys I heard the ice was great at Damascus, how was E-Dog? Shore ok stll or gained? Send me the pics Todd..

Her'es the pics from Todd and Dougs trip today..

picture037vy4.jpg

picture038ha1.jpg

picture039vu4.jpg

Chef and I hit leb res and e- banks for a few hrs today Ice was about 10 to 12 inches thick we pretty much walked right out on both cool.gif.We caught a few gills(chippers) and perch and the chef with one nice crappie.If we get any more rain thats it on the ice out there shore lines will be shot.Thunder out

Hi guy's

Closed out the season with a bang Saturday. Fished out in front of Bernards Bay. Started in 31 fow and caught one nice perch and a 17 inch walleye. was not marking alot of fish, so i moved in to 28 fow and caught 1 8 inch perch. I saw some guy's out by the pressure crack and had been watching them. They seem to be getting a little action on the tip-ups, but seemed to be not spending much time jigging. I started my walk out there and stopped about 150-200 yds. from the two that seemed to be having the most action on the tip-ups. After afew minutes i saw a fish and caught a nice perch, and then another one a couple minutes later. I decided i would camp out there till i had to leave around 2:30. I cut another hole about 15 ft. away to set my dead stick in, and was about to put a minnow on that rod when i looked down at my vex and saw a scool of fish from the bottom to about 7 ft. off the bottom. I scratched the dead stick and put that minnows head on a blue fox spoon chartreuse/silver and let her sink. It lasted about an hour straight, but as fast as i could get it down there i would be reeling one up. Needless to say, i ended up with 27 perch, 2 more big walleyes about 3 1/2 to 4 lbs. and 3 big silver bass. I have never seen anything like that before. I got a little wet coming in the shore was gone out about 4-5 ft. But after the day i had, i did not mind getting wet.

Mike thanks for the update, I would have called in sick with a report like that and finished the day strong with a limit.

Those fish didn't move far and they will stay packed up outside that bay till ice out..... We have seen this off Bernhards Bay and Taft Bay late ice... Well boy's it's been pretty cold and I think Tuesday may be the final day I take off for ice fishing this season. Jay I don't like the winds for Wednesday...

Big O and yes 40 are watching now... Just talked to Mike and that spot was slow yesterday, a buddy of his went out to his GPS spots and picked up a few but they didn't mark or catch many.. Z and I will be west of them, cutting and moving until we can find a pod..