• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cost per # of fish

Deitz Dittrich

Reminds me of that Ole and Sven joke where after a day of fishing Sven was adding up the bills. He said "Ole, Spent 20 bucks on gas, 10 bucks on bait, 5 bucks to get on the lake, and 15 bucks on food. That's 50 dollars, and we caught 2 fish. That's 25 bucks a fish!"

Ole says, "Well Sven, at that rate, we're lucky we didn't catch anymore!"

Who cares what it costs per pound. I am only making 2% on my money in my savings account. I can get more than 2% worth of fun out of a new fishing toy! I say spend to the end! I know fishing costs me way more than I can buy it for in the store, but what would I do with all my free time? I suppose I could go to the bar and watch football and play pulltabs instead. HMM tough choice?? Not for me!!

A while back, I had a guy at work ragging on me about Wyoming deer hunting and that I was stupid to spend that much per pound for meat. I asked him how much meat he had brought back from his last trip to Lost Wages, Nevada. Quothe he " But that's different, I was on vacation." Well, so was I, and I didn't have to worry about catching a venerable disease. He also wanted me to bring him some venison, because he had a recipe that made venison taste just like beef. I wonder if he has a recipe that makes Trout taste like fish sticks.

Believe me, there are worse ways to spend the cash. I am finally learning how to enjoy the whole experience. From getting up in the morning ona fishing day, loading the truck, driving to the gas pump, bait store, food store, road time, and finally getting to my favorite spot. It's that first minnow down the whole and the anticipation of what is going to bite. I hope I never start putting a price tag on that...

$1.53/gal. -It might just be worth a road trip out to Minn. If it'll make you guys feel better I filled up the Durango here in NY at $1.75/gal on Tuesday and that was for the cheap 86 octane.

Don't get me wrong here, the price of gas has never stopped me from fishing at any time. I was just wondering if any of the rest of you were tired of being jacked by the oil companies.

The price of gas is nothing.Backed into a tree at the boat landing last weekend to a tune of $600 worth of body dammage. Now if those werent expensive fish but still had a great day. Now the truck finally has personality.

I say if money was meant to hang on to, they would print the stuff with handles on it!

being out on the lake last night with a bright moon, no clouds, NO WIND, and very few people around can really only be described as priceless!

Yes, getting hosed by the gas companies does suck, but it has been much higher in the past and until the government kicks in some money for alternative fuel research and some ag programs to promote those fuels, we are kissing OPEC butt. Maybe if they spent the time finding better ways to make fuel intead of turning Alaska in to a Texas Oil Field of the great northwest, we would not need this post.

T-BONE
Sheffenteen dollairs hows dat? How impotant is dat(oops I forgot the "r" again) Those solid cabon graphite blanks were nice, yes? I'll talk to yous Tuesday, heading up to Canada to ice my trout and take video. I'll make sure I pack a lunch and leave the "dogs" out of the mix! I'm going to talk to Paul to see if there is still a season on unwanted "geese", so I can bring up the 10 gauge shot gun with the 6-1/2' barrel. Want to make a clean shot so the unwanted ones are not "screwed".

For the third week in a row now, the price of gas on the weekend is $1.539. Then, on Monday, it starts to drop to 1.489. Then by Tuesday and Wednesday it's somewhere around 1.35. Just this morning, as I was driving past a SuperAmerica station, they were cranking it back up to 1.48 (it's Thursday) and by tomorrow, I'd almost bet my paycheck it'll be 1.539 again for the weekend. So if you're driving from, say, the Twin Cities to LOW on Friday, do we have to buy gas on Wednesday in order to keep the fish cost less than the $10/pound like it is in the store? I don't know how you people feel about being jerked around by these petroleum companies, but it sure looks to me like they are all in cahoots. I think it's time we started giving them some static about it when we pay. Almost everything else is regulated, why not these scammers?........T

TBone

Don't know about the Cities, but here in
SE Mn, the Kwik Trip chain sets the price, as they have the dominant market share (most stations). What they do, the others will follow. Ours is bouncing up and down too.

Did see gas this morning at an SA for $1.319.

UC

If I add up gas... auger... vexilar... house... heater.. poles... jigs... etc... combine that with how little I am able to get out, and how well I seldom do when I do get out, I am going to put my price per pound of fish well in the three digits (to the left of the decimal point), BUT (there is always a BUT) the good news is that with each fish I catch, my cost per fish goes down!

I don't worry that much about gas prices. Not much we can do about it. Gotta have it. The suits in Washington know that, they know they get good tax money from it, what the hell do they care if its expensive??? Its kinda like an ant trying to change the path of an elephant, really.

I close my eyes and it sounds just like my wife telling about how expensive my trip was to Mille Lacs was last weekend . I fell in a pressure ridge and twisted my back and missed two days of work for her.Reminder do not stomp on 18" cracks in -8 weather,you will be doing Landry in the house.Dumb,dumb .I know the tread was on gas and here in Monticello the gas is always $.10 higher . If someone tells you how much per pound anything is , they just don't get it.You can't put a price on bobber therapy. Its here FRIDAY!! metro

TBone, I agree with your point regarding prices getting jacked up before weekends or holidays, it's a shame.

Have you noticed 2 years ago, when gas was around $ 1.45 everybody including media was screaming "Outrageus", now after a long time we are used to and don't say too much.

What's the difference ? They are still screwing us up.

T-Bone...
You are right...I live in Hugo area and gas prices are always jumping around. I wonder who regulates those gas prices? It seems illegal for companies to constantly change prices. Can you imagine if other companies did that. You go in to buy minnows on wed and they are 2 bucks on fridays they are 4 bucks and sunday night they are back to 2 bucks! I know there is that whole supply demand thing but come one...do they think we are stupid.
Too bad those gas/electric cars are not in trucks yet. There is a new Honda out there that gets 53 miles per gallon!

It is almost getting getting to the point where you typical family will have 3 autos. One truck or suv for the fishing thing and 2 commuting vehicles for good gas mileage. It might be the way to go smile.gif

As for the money we spend on fishing as a whole...I try not too think about it. Some of the money isn't a total loss. I bought a Otter a few years ago, an auger about 6 years ago, rods and reels, and a new LX3 this years and that stuff lasts forever...if you keep it in good condition! So yeah the lodging, food, and gas thing is a loss but the other stuff isn't. That is how I get the wife to let me buy more cool stuff wink.gif

When Jap cars first started coming to the US they got much better miliage than they do now. I remember in 1987 I was driving my boss's toyota diesel pickup the size of a Ranger and it got 36 miles to the gallon. I don't think toyota makes any trucks now that will get that. They try to tell us thats because the trucks weigh more now or something. Thats bull. The US made them reduce their mileage so we would use more gas, and in my opinion, so US autos could compete. That diesel never missed a tick either, started every time. I tried to buy that truck from him every day. Didn't the cars get alot better mileage back then also?
My Ranger gets 17-19 mpg depending on speed.

Watch the gas fluxuate here in the northland.... as a local you'd better have a full tank onThurs, cuz Fri thru Sun......
Ask or talk to the owners of the stations and it's always their suppliers fault, their hands are tied...... one hand to the till and the other to the wallet.