• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Importance of a fish-finder

jegerjack

For x-mas I received a pretty good gift certificate for Cabela's. Now I was thinking of putting it towards a fish-finder. Now my question is, being that I do not get out as much as I like should I invest in a expensive finder, such as a higher end Vexlar. Or should I get something simple such as a fishing buddy, or should I pass on both until I start to fish more? What does anyone think? Thanks, JegerJack.

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

Get a Vex!!! Go with the fl-8 since it is cheaper than the fl-18, and for a beginner will suite all your needs just fine!! Not only are they great for catching fish, but help in finding the right spot depth wise before you even drill a hole. You can check depths by pouring a little water on the ice and placing your transducer in the puddle. It will shoot right through the ice and give you the depth and even show you fish sometimes. This helps because the noise of the auger will spook the fish and it will take a few minutes to see fish on the vex.

It all depends how much ice fishing you do. There was a thread not too long ago talking about 'essential' ice fishing gear and the consensus was that you needed shelter, heat, and an auger, then after that the fishfinder would be next. My own opinion is that once you have a fishfinder, you wouldn't go without it. Its great. It would be like going pheasant hunting without a dog - not!!

Thanks, for the input. I will look at the sale's area. I went to cabelas.com and I did not see any Vexilar finders, I am not sure if they sell them. They had MarCum finders. Thanks, JegerJack.

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

here is a simple solution:
fish more smile.gif

you dont need a flasher if you dont fish alot, flashers are nice, but that is what depth bombs are for. now if ur a crappie fisherman it might help alittle bit. but yea definitely got to fish more.

------------------
Good Luck Catchin Dos PigZ!

It is true you don't have to have a fish finder but then you must have a good quality lake map and then more around a lot. Old school ice fishing still works if you don't just sit is on spot.
With that said if I had you gift certificate I would go to Cabelas and buy a fishlocator. The best thing about ice fishing and hunting too is the stuff lasts forever.
Good luck

Let me put it to you like this:

If you buy an FL-8, FL-18, or a Marcum LX 3...You will find yourself on the lake more then you ever imagined, eating fish dinners at least once a week, with a fishing fever by Tuesday....Then in the spring you'll buy a boat, put your Vex or Marcum on it, enter a tournament trail, win a sh!t load of money and be happy, earn national recognition, and become the FM Hero....Now isn't that what you want for your family?

PCG

Heres what I do: go to a flea market or Garage sale, and buy yourself an old flasher for pennies! I got mine for $5 at a garage sale. It's an old "Cricket" mono flasher-- but the idea behind them remains the same-- minus some detail and pretty colors. The copywright on this one is 1978 wink.gif. It's a bit finiky, and I need to buy a transducer floater to keep the ducer level. It's portable and selfcontained; and takes two 6 cell batteries. I have seen numerous other old mono portable flashers for sale at Garage sales before, some Hummingbird ones that came in metal yellow or blue boxes.

The cost of new flashers is ridcuouls, espically seeing that you can get an underwater camera (altough there are certian moral things about actaully seeing the fish; I wouln't mind taking a peek, then shutting it off) for around the same price. LCD's, which are NEWER technology you can get as cheap as $80, with decent ones going for $120-150-- HALF the price of a flasher. If Vex, Zercom, or Markum ever lower their flashers into the $150 range, I MIGHT consider buying one. But for now.. the Cricket does me fine, and I saved myself $295 to spend on other goodies.

Just wondering out loud about the Marcum... What transducers are available just in case you would want to put it in your boat for the summer?

[This message has been edited by lumpy (edited 12-26-2002).]

I dont have one YET!
so dont take my word for it, but after reading other peoples reviews and getting the low down at 2 different scheels stores,
and seeing the Vex. video, I'm sold on the FL-18.
If you dont mind spending the money, I would go for it.
I understand the FL-8 is a VERY good unit as well, but for better and clearer readings, why not just spend the extra.
Heck, just put it on lawaway.
If you fish open water, it sounds to me that the FL-18 has better viewing.
But like I said, dont take my word for it, I'm just sold on it from what I have heard and read. Cabelas does sell them as well.
Fl-18 and marcum LX-3 are about the same price, so this leads me to believe that the guys at scheels aren't just trying to sell me something more expensive.

Just to clarify one thing,Cabelas no longer sells Vexilar products. If my memory serves me right, there may have been a thread on this here already started.If not, Vexilar punted on it's sales to Cabelas,because Cabelas was making there own pro-packs with the FL-18, instead of selling Vexilars pro-packs. There's more to the story than this, but that's what I understand about that situation.

Get the Vex. FL8 ! It's cheaper and does the job very well.Money you will never be sorry you spent!
I have one of the first ones made and it still works great! Just make sure you get the transducer with the float on it.
Made my own box for it too out of scrap 1/2" plywood and saved a few more bucks.
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

If you fish mostly with tip-ups for perch, pike and walleyes, don't spend the money on a high-end unit. Buy a used Lowrance greenbox, which can be had at garage sales for $5 to $10, is portable and battery operated, and will find out how deep the water is. With tips, all you need to do is pinpoint the structure you're fishing (with the depth finder), then use the lead bomber to figure out how far to keep your bait off the bottom.

But the Vexilars and Marcums shine when you're jigging. No matter what fish you're jigging for (walleyes, perch, crappies, pike, lakers, etc), that flasher will tell you when there's a fish eyeing your lure. Then you can use a whole variety of actions on your lure and see which keeps the fish's attention the longest and eventually triggers the strike.

Like practically everyone else who ice fishes with a Vex or a Marcum, I don't know what I'd do without mine. It opened up a whole new aspect of ice fishing. That being said, if you've got the cash I'd get a used FL8 and spend that gift certificate on something else. Used units commonly go for about $150, way less than you'll pay in a store for a new one.

Good luck. grin.gif

Over the years, I've fished with the green box, Bottom Line screen, FL8, FL8slt, and now the FL18.I've made 4 trips to the Vexilar service center in Bloomington and they are great people to deal with. No red tape or hassle.Twice they repaired and tank tested the units while I waited. No charge, even though it was my fault it needed fixing.[don't ask, its embarrasing]My FL18 is a reconditioned unit I bought there with a 9/19 degree transducer. Great price and full warranty. The only problem I had was with Sue at the front desk. I asked her to write a note to my wife explaining that since the FL18 would be used to gather food it should be paid for out of the food budget. She told me I was strictly on my own. And then she laughed at me. Women just don't seem to understand what's important in life.

You sure Cabela's doesn't sell Vexilar? I just got the Winter Sale book and it had their "Pro Packs" that they offer. Oh well, could have been a back issue considering I never throw out old Mags. smile.gif

Im 3 blocks away from the cabelas here in mitchell sd. i spend the majority of every day from 12 to 1 oclock (lunchbreak)They do sell vexilar products. there are mucho displays there right now with everything your little ice-fishing heart can imagine. Just a FYI to put the issue to rest.

A point to ponder. A friend of mine and his friends have been fishing LOW with out any electronics and today he borrowed my Vex FL8-SLT for the weekend. When he brings it back {if he does LOL} we’ll have to see if it helped or not. The pictures he emailed me shows they are doing well with out it. smile.gif When I’ve used it my catch was a lot better when I knew a fish was eyeing my bait or came in higher or lower? I’ll let you know.
“FISH” grin.gif

------------------
http://www.icesaws.com/

I think it depends on the fisherman. I am very lucky to live in northern MN and fish about 3 times a week throughout the winter. I live on a good crappie lake with a half way decent walleye lake a mile down the road. Ninty percent of my fishing takes place on 11 lakes that I have been fishing for 20+ years.

I never bother with the Vex unless I'm fishing Lakers, then it's such a time saver it's almost a must.

My two fishing always bring their Vex and I out fish them as often as they outfish me.

I just came off the lake, there was two guys out there one had an fl-8 one with an 18 (got it for Christmas). I kept 7 fish in 50 mins. and when I left they had three fish on the ice. I already knew what there Vex was telling them, the big difference was luck. I just happened to setup in the right spot, however, I did know where that spot was. We were about 30' apart, but hey, that's the way crappie fishing is. By the way, they were marking fish.

You gotta love those crappies, 10 outa one hole,four feet away - not a bite.

Dakota Iceman, go to Cabelas HSOforum, and type in Vexilar into their search engine. You will come up with nothing. I never stated that the stores were not selling the remaining stock of Vexilars that each store had on the shelf..Get your facts straight before you 'put the issue to rest'. Besides, the catalog you were referring to was mailed before X-mas, so it is out of date already.Again,get your facts straight.

It's a crutch us electronic age ice fisherman can't leave home without, however in shallow areas under 7' it can be a disadvantage trying to fish alot of holes in short order. My buddy Tony without a flasher and hole hopping can put 4 times the fish I can catch on the ice, because he can move to open holes without a flasher and capitalize on the aggressive bluegills and crappies. Mobility in shallow water is the key. More holes fished more opportunity in this scenario.

[This message has been edited by CNY Tim (edited 12-27-2002).]

Rman:

Welcome to the forum. Good to have you.

I will quote from your original post on this issue: "Cabelas no longer sells Vexilar products."

That sounds to me like a regular fellow could think you meant there are no Vexilars on the shelves at Cabela's. That's what I thought you meant. You made no distinction between catalog sales and in-store leftover inventory sales.

Thanks for clarifying what you meant. grin.gif

P.S. -- It's nice to be right. It's better to be nice.