• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scenes from Lake Vermilion

Hey all:

Went fishing on Vermilion's east bay yesterday and put a LOT of fall walleyes in the boat. Fishing was so good I got bored hauling in walleyes and got out the camera.

Here's some of what we saw

All with the Canon 30D and Canon 100-400L IS, iso200 at f7.1, handheld

A typical evening

1/1600 at 150mm, -1 EC

V-vertical.jpg

A good spot

1/800 at 235mm, +1 EC

single-pine.jpg

The moment of impact

1/1600 at 150mm, -1 EC

gull-impact.jpg

Missed that time

1/2500 at 260mm, -1EC

gull-flight.jpg

Loon in the leaves

1/400 at 290mm, -2/3 EC

yellow-loon.jpg

Thanks, guys. No. 2 is easily my favorite, too. It's really asking for printing pretty large, say 24 inches across. The rock/cedar is about 15 yards off shore, and these guys that close to the rock were in 40 FOW.

The wind line is not doctored in any way. It was nearly flat calm where we all were, and a sharp little gust of 5-10 mph approaching from the NW was pushing that line of ripples our way.

It was one of those days when there were few bites during flat calm but when even light ripples formed we started getting bit. Most fish from 25 to 35 FOW on slip sinker bottom bouncers with six foot leaders and big red-tail chubs.

Thanks everybody.

Dan, you SURE you got the right spot, buddy? Yeah, that's the one. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

We wanted to fish it, but there were boats there almost the whole time. We hardly saw anyone pull in a fish at any point, but we were a few hundred yards down the shoreline and we were getting bit regularly.

Okay I missed this thread! These are really good, Steve (and Dan). It's difficult for me to pick a favorite, but your comp is really good in all of these. A small nit if I may? The Loon looks as though a slight CW rotation is needed or maybe I'm tilting my head again. grin.gif

ELE, I really shouldn't say. The spot was shown to me by good friends. grin.gif

Buzz: Nit away if you feel the need. grin.gif I thought about rotating it a degree or two to make it look straight on and level, but the waves were coming crosswise at the time as they often do, the loon was slanted slightly like this as it was finishing a turn to preen itself, and the rotation would have rendered the scene inaccurately, so I didn't. I know a lot of people would like it better level, though, so if I print to sell it I'll print both versions and run them by Mrs. Catfish, who is the all-time champ at deciding what regular folks like.