• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lets talk Cornhuskers!!!

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After that performance I'm almost speechless.

Callahan shouldn't even bother getting on the bus back to Lincoln. Cosgrove should have to PUSH the bus back to Lincoln. I like Ganz but he looked awful today...very indecisive.

Why would Callahan punt the ball on 4th and 2 or 3 when the defense hadn't even come close to stopping CU in the 2nd half? So much for pinning them deep and getting the ball back. Tichtner put the ball on the 1/64th inch line and they still couldn't stop them. Unbelievable. mad.gif

Quote:

I dont think the win is going to hold the coach there for another year. I have a feeling he will be gone at the end of the year.

After today and the meeting with Osborne tomorrow, I think, without any hesitation, that you will be looking at a new coach pretty quick. Huskers without a bowl game is like an outhouse without holes, at least in this state!! Too bad really, because the offense really shined this year.

For those who were doing something productive this morning and not near a tv, Callahan was fired. The odd thing is that all the assistants can stay, of course until Bo Pellini comes in and cans them. For those of you following the Husker woes this year, it was the assistant, Cosgrove, that received the most heat, including threatening phone calls. The Lincoln Police have narrowed down the search for the suspects in those threats....1.5 million. (The rough population of the state) grin.gif

What surprises me most about this season was Cosgrove's inability to be competitive on defense. They were completely clueless out there. They should do away with the blackshirt philosophy until the new defense can shut someone out in 2008. Once the defense gets its swagger back then they can have that label back. I don't care if they shut out Southern Appalachan Western State University.....it would be an improvement on this season's performance. Offense really did look good this year....unfortunately the defense got the spotlight....and deservedly so....THEY WERE AWFUL..PUTRED...PATHETIC.

I watched the whole CU game. Every painful play. It hurt to watch, but I had to. The Callahan era was drawing to a close, and I had to see it.

The offense this year has not been bad. They scored a lot of points. Usually, when you score 51 points in a game, you win. Unless you have Kevin Cosgrove as your DC. The lack of adjustment, the lack of speed, the lack of passion... They just plan lacked. I think we can all agree on that.

So, who is the next head coach? I'd love to see Bo Pelini, but I have my doubts that will happen. Looks like LSU might be open pretty soon. Jim Grobe? Paul Johnson? Glen Mason? This is going to get interesting.

Oh, and can I say I hate the all-white uniform?

I've got in-laws that live in Lincoln. Rumor has it that several weeks ago, Bo Pelini and wife were making trips to Lincoln. Turner Gill? Don't see that. But if you combined the two, I think you would see some great recruiting. Callahan definately needed to go, based on some of his poor decisions made on the sidelines and maybe for his lack of recruiting. You have to give him some credit though, he changed the offense 180 degrees and made it work, pretty well. The option was dead as Julius Caesar, but the Husker faithful wouldn't let it go.

Next year, regardless of who comes in, will be tough. It may be two years without a post-season game. The more you transition programs, the longer it takes to get back to the promised land.

What do I know? I'm a Longhorn fan!!!

I ready an amazing article by Tom Osborne's son the other day. More or less it was about the Callahan regime and how it was conducted as a dictatorship. Once he was canned it was like a dark cloud was lifted off Memorial.

Lets hope Pelini is the man....he'll bring the fire back to the blackshirts...and maybe they could bring in Gill for the offense?

Callahan will also receive $65,000 PER MONTH as a stipulation for Nebraska terminating his contract. Unbelievable.

Sounds like Watson will still be there. The offense wasn't really the problem (with some exception), and was actually a pretty bright spot. But it's Defense that wins championships, and that will be back. If you get a chance, watch the '03 Alamo Bowl (Bo's only head-coaching experience). The Blackshirts were pancaking people like crazy. By the 4th qtr, Michigan State players were having trouble getting up after the play. Sweet.

im excited to see the program change around and become a powerhouse like it has in the past. It was hard for me as a huge cornhusker fan, to watch them fall like they did last year. I hope they can turn it around and get back to where they were years past.

Courtesy: NU Media Relations

Release: 12/02/2007

Bo Pelini takes control of the Nebraska football program after a highly-successful five-year run as a collegiate defensive coordinator, including orchestrating Nebraska’s defensive efforts in 2003. Pelini will take over the Huskers with a 1-0 career record at Nebraska, serving as the Huskers’ interim head coach for a victory over Michigan State in the 2003 Alamo Bowl.

Pelini comes to Nebraska after three seasons as the defensive coordinator at LSU. In that time on Les Miles’ staff, Pelini’s dominant defenses helped the Tigers compile a 34-6 record, including the 2007 BCS national championship and the Southeastern Conference championship this season. The Tigers also earned a No. 3 final national ranking in 2006.

With a 21-14 SEC title game victory over Tennessee, LSU earned a spot in a Bowl Championship Series game. It marked the third time in four years that Pelini has been a part of a team that has played in a BCS game.

The play of Pelini’s defenses has been a key part of LSU’s success over the past three seasons. The Tigers are currently ranked third in the nation in total defense, surrendering an average of 283.9 yards per game. LSU also ranks in the top 25 nationally in pass efficiency defense (3rd), passing yards allowed per game (9th), rush defense (14th) and scoring defense (20th).

Pelini’s defenses have a history of swarming to the football. That is evident in LSU forcing 33 turnovers this season, tied for the fourth-most takeaways in the country. In fact, it was a fourth-quarter interception return for a touchdown that provided the difference in LSU’s title-game win over Tennessee.

The Tigers’ 2007 defensive success is nothing new. In fact, each of Pelini’s three LSU defenses has ranked No. 3 nationally in total defense.

Pelini’s 2006 unit surrendered just 242.8 yards per game, the fewest by a Tiger team since 1976. LSU led the SEC in six categories and also ranked in the top five nationally in scoring defense, pass defense and pass efficiency defense. A pair of Tiger defenders earned first-team All-America honors in 2006, including safety LaRon Landry and defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey. Landry went on to become the sixth overall pick in the NFL Draft by the Washington Redskins, while Dorsey is again a standout for LSU in 2007, and is one of three finalists for the Outland Trophy.

In 2005, the Tigers allowed just 266.9 yards per game, and ranked in the top 10 nationally in all four major defensive categories, including third in total defense, scoring defense and pass efficiency defense. Defensive tackles Kyle Williams and Claude Wroten were both first-team All-Americans following the season.

Pelini served as the co-defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach on Bob Stoops’ staff at Oklahoma in 2004, helping the Sooners win a Big 12 title and reach the national championship game against USC. Oklahoma finished the season ranked sixth nationally in rush defense, 11th in scoring defense and 13th in total defense.

Pelini’s first collegiate full-time job came at Nebraska in 2003. As the coordinator of the Huskers’ Blackshirt defense, Pelini led an energized unit that finished among the Big 12 and nation’s best in nearly every defensive category. Nebraska finished the year ranked first nationally in pass efficiency defense, second in scoring defense and 11th in total defense. Pelini’s defense was also one of the most opportunistic in school history, tying an NU record with 47 takeaways, helping Nebraska lead the nation in turnover margin.

His tenure in Lincoln was capped by serving as the interim head coach for Nebraska’s dominant 17-3 win over Michigan State in the 2003 Alamo Bowl. Nebraska’s performance in that game reflected Pelini’s personality as the Huskers controlled the line of scrimmage with the running game and the defense held MSU to just 174 total yards and a first-quarter field goal.

Overall, the five college teams Pelini has been a part of have compiled an impressive 55-10 record, winning at least 10 games every season. His defenses have posted eight shutouts and held the opposition to seven points or less in 26 of 65 games.

Before joining the Huskers, Pelini had nine years of NFL experience, one season at a Division I university, and one year in the high school ranks. Pelini broke into the NFL in 1994 as assistant secondary coach for head coach George Seifert and the 49ers. Originally hired as a scouting assistant, Pelini was quickly promoted to defensive backs coach in the spring of 1994. Less than a year after his promotion to defensive backs coach, Pelini was coaching in the Super Bowl, helping the 49ers to a 49-26 win over San Diego in Super Bowl XXIX. Pelini held that position for three years before moving to the Patriots for the 1997 season.

As a member of the Patriots staff, Pelini coached the linebackers under head coach Pete Carroll. Pelini helped the Patriots go 27-21 over a three-year period with the club making the playoffs twice. Pelini's efforts were highlighted with a Pro Bowl appearance by Chris Slade in 1997, the first Patriot linebacker to be named All-Pro since 1989.

After three years with the Patriots, Pelini moved to the Packers, coaching linebackers for three seasons. In three years in Green Bay with head coach Mike Sherman, the Packers posted a 33-15 record and advanced twice to the playoffs. In 2002, the Packer defense ranked fourth in the NFL in pass defense, allowing 188.4 yards per game.

Pelini got his start in coaching in 1991, serving as a graduate assistant coach at Iowa under Hayden Fry. From there he moved into the high school ranks, serving as quarterbacks coach at Cardinal Mooney High School in Youngstown, Ohio in 1993 before taking the leap to the 49ers.

A standout free safety at Ohio State from 1987 to 1990, Pelini earned four letters for the Buckeyes. He was coached by Earle Bruce in 1987 and John Cooper his final three seasons. Pelini helped the Buckeyes to a 15-8 record over his final two seasons as a starter, and he was a three-time selection to the Academic All-Big Ten team. As a senior co-captain Pelini received the "Bo Rein Award," given annually to the Buckeyes’ most inspirational player.

After earning his bachelor’s degree in business marketing from Ohio State in 1990, Pelini completed his master’s degree in sports administration at Ohio University in 1992.

Pelini is a native of Youngstown, Ohio. He and his wife, Mary Pat, have three children, an eight-year-old son, Patrick, and two daughters, Kate, 6 and Caralyn, 4.

Holiday Bowl

Iowa tied BYU, 13-13

NFC Divisional Playoffs

49ers def. Bears, 44-15

NFC Conference Finals

49ers def. Cowboys, 38-28

Super Bowl XXIX

49ers def. Chargers, 49-26

NFC Divisional Playoffs

49ers lost to Packers, 27-17

NFC Wild Card Game

49ers def. Eagles, 14-0

NFC Divisional Playoffs

49ers lost to Packers, 35-14

AFC Divisional Playoffs

Patriots lost to Steelers, 7-6

AFC Wild Card Game

Patriots lost to Jaguars, 25-10

NFC Wild Card Game

Packers def. 49ers, 25-15

NFC Divisional Playoffs

Packers lost to Rams, 45-17

NFC Divisional Playoffs

Packers lost to Falcons, 27-7

Alamo Bowl

Nebraska def. Michigan State, 17-3 – interim head coach

Orange Bowl

Oklahoma lost to USC, 55-19

Peach Bowl

LSU def. Miami, 40-3

I would expect a bowl game. I always do. I've only been disappointed a couple of times.

What I'm excited for is North Division play. If the Huskers can at least remain competetive with Mizzou and Kansas, and then pound the snot out of Colorado, I'll be happy. I would be ecstatic if NU knocked off OU in Norman, but I don't expect it.

Having grown up in Nebraska. A lot of things are expected. If you can all remember we all thought the same thing about calihan (spelling). I gave him the old saying give him a chance and things will turn around. Well all he did was turn things into a cult. Took every thing off the walls and called it his own.

ESPN says the best ever College Football Team Ever is the 94 And 95 Huskers. I really hope that with pelini's era we will get back to the old school football tradition. Once the Huskers ruled and everyone feared us. With Peline we can only hope that everyone will fear us once again. Husker fans have a long road ahead of us, but with all do respect, look out BIG 12 NORTH AND SOUTH. WE ARE AFTER YOU AND WE WILL EAT YOU ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DUANE)!!!

Dang... Nice to know there are several fisherpersons in MN who holds Huskers close to their hearts like I do... I am definitely ready and excited about what the upcoming season will bring... especially with Bo Pelini at the helm... All I can say is that the moment NU fired BC, a sense of relief was felt thru the Huskerland... then the day Bo Pelini became our coach, a sense of relief, a sense of unity was spread thru the Huskerland... I have nothing but good feelings about the upcoming season... I cant wait to see the Blackshirt tradition restored... It'd definitely be very awesome if you could musky-fish and have the Huskers play on a tv in the boat... Im sure with each avhievements during the game (TD, INT, Sack, etc etc) the elation level would be just as equal to catching a Muskie or two that day... Would it be possible to attach a DirecTV satellite to a boat??? maybe a nice 40" Flatscreen installed in the back of the boat??? ohhh... now thats an idea... Muskie fishing from a pontoon??? Plenty room... LOL