• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Going off into the wilderness

Hey all, I'll be leaving first thing tomorrow for a three- or four-day backpacking trip along the 30-plus-mile Pow Wow Trail in the BWCAW.

I'm co-authoring an Ely area hiking guide book for publication next spring featuring 20 Ely and nearby hikes, with the Pow Wow being the most ambitious of the mile-by-mile guide sections. The plan at this point also is for me to be the sole photographer featured in the book.

The hike will be a good test of wilderness and hiking skills built up over the last 20 years. I plan to be back Friday evening at the latest, and have told my wife and co-workers that if I don't report back in by Saturday noon to send out the cavalry. See you all in cyberspace then. Hope I can get some decent pics to post, too, if I don't break a leg or camera or get lost (the Pow Wow is legendary for being hard to navigate at some points) or become moose, bear or wolf bait. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I'm leaving most of my photographic kit behind since weight is a premium, and my camera pack weighs about 40 lbs when full of all my gear. For photo gear, I'll be taking only the Rebel XT w/battery grip, four camera batteries, the Canon 100-400L and Canon 17-40L, 430EX flash and spare flash batteries, and of course 8 Gb of cards.

See ya later! grin.gif

After a couple days on the trail I might smell a bit like a musky moose myself. grin.gif

I did see a fresh monster rub/scrape from a bullwinkle right in the middle of the Agassa trail a couple weeks back. Much as I want good shots of bull moose, I don't want to be so close I need a wide angle lens! shocked.gif

We wanna see some moose pics shocked.gif....well...at least I do grin.gif....don't forget the "steel lighter" for those wet morning camp fires grin.gif(Hey!...I've been watchin survivorman! shocked.gif)....have fun on your trip Steve...wish I was going with! grin.gif....sounds enjoyable!kinda thing I'd like to do before I

"buy the farm" grin.gif