• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good luck/Be safe/on opener

USPENAMC

Hope all FMers and all hunters have a good hunting opener. Post some pics and remember to help out hunters in need. Sometimes they are in need of some GUIDANCE too. Its easier to be upset about someone walking near your stand/near your location or plain out being dumb. Sometimes all they need is some guidance. be patient be carefull and be safe.

My first season too, and I'm 49!! I didn't even get broadheads or license yet, because I wasn't sure I'd be my shooting skills would be where I could ethically hunt. I've been shooting about 10-20 arrows a day in my yard (in the country) and I think I'm ready. 10, 20 yards are all good, 30 yds I can keep the groups within a pie plate!! Guess I'll have to make another trip to cabela's to spend my $150 gift card from when I bought my bow!!

For your first year archery hunting, go out and enjoy the woods and nature first. You have many things to learn archery hunting. When to draw and where to draw with the deer approaching and more like that. One is going to make mistakes if they have never tried to arrow a deer at close range with the deers keen sense's.

I know every one wants the big buck but since one is out for the first time, nothing wrong with shooting a doe. Another tip, if a deer comes by and you don't plan on shooting it, still draw back and go through the motions as it's good practice. I have always looked at archery hunting this way, if you can get drawn back on the deer, game over.

Most of all be safe and have FUN.

Second year for me. Been studying everything I can get my hands on and my wife says "are you going out in the woods again?" so yes I have been doing alot woods time and scouting. 4 different stands set up and 1 groundblind to use. 1 trail camera. laugh.gif I am pumped. May God be with you all, and may you have a safe opener.

i plan on going out this weekend, and I want to make in out in the morning. Not to sound wimpy, but Im hunting private land up north of DL and Iam fairly familiar with it. Anyway, I know there are alot of bears up there because I have seen them, and about three weeks ago, someone spotted a mountain lion behind there shed about 1/2 mile from my stand. This is way out in the boonies too. Im actually a little unerved about going out in the dark. Does anyone else get scared before heading into dark woods alone?Hopefully someone can help me feel alittle better about this. Its a bad feeling to have when it is based on your favorite thing in the world.

Good luck and be safe this opener. OF r all the first timers there are so many awesome things that you learn form bow hunting. When rifle hunting I never let a deer get within 50yds of me and that was great. I shot my first deer with a bow at 6yds. Almost too close.

I totally agree that if you don't plan on shooting the deer, still practice trying to move and draw on the animal. That kind of real life practice will translate into experience when it comes time to take the one you want.

Again, for your first bow deer its about getting the kill. Everyone will get a chance at a big boy, but until you've actually done it its hard to get past that block in your mind. Take the best shot at a doe or whatever. Its about getting that first one under your belt and working out the jitters.

I like to bring a book and my camera. It helps me to focus and stay still. I've had many deer within 20 yds in the last 2 seasons and its been great.

Don't move, stay upwind and shoot straight!!

We all may be a little rusty with our hunting skills after the long off season. Remember to think everything thru and move slow. Take your time getting into the woods, climb your stand carefully, make sure your hooked in to the saftyharness, and know where all your gear is in relation to your sitting possition. I find myself most openers taking many deep breaths and long reflections on how lucky I/we are to have this great oppertunity called "hunting". Enjoy Mother Nature and all her splender. Tell Father Time to slow down. Most of all relax.

Here's to you and a great hunt!

HootTooten

ah hour ago I was in class daydreaming out the window when the snow awakened me. YES SNOW! IT WAS SNOWING!! I am soo pumped for tommorow. our freezer is bare and Im craving a deer burger. I will shoot the first deer that walks by unless its a small buck. that being said, good luck tommorow, have fun, be safe, and may your memories last long and your arrows fly true. grin.gif

Hunter4life. This will be my 25th year bowhunting and in all that time I have never been attacked by a bear or mountain lion.

That being said, you could always hunt with an overweight buddy. Then you don't have to be faster than the mountain lion, just faster than your buddy.

Good luck everyone.

HAHA! That would work! I know the chances are almost non existant, but i just cant help being rattled about the situation. Im gonna go out in the morning for sure Ive decided, but it wont be fun until I get nice and situated into my stand!

Hey hunter4life, I was in my stand once, with a rifle, right at dusk when 3 wolves came pretty close to me howling the whole way. Normally I don't have my gun loaded after the evening hunt but that night I did, I was 14 at the time. Just have a good bright flashlight and you'll scare off any wouldbe attackers. Everytime I walk in the woods by myself which is everytime I go bowhunting I get the heebiegeebies, but think all your effort to get to your stand would be wasted if you didn't walk out there. I also walked in a pine plantation long grown up a week after my buddy spotted what he thought was a lion in his back yard, I found a tree it climbed up but had no problems, put it at the back of your mind and get to your stand.

Be safe, and don't forget your release in the truck! (Powerstroke you know what I'm talking about) smile.gif

For the first timers out there - don't pass on any deer you can ethically and humanely take your first year out.. its tough getting that first one out of the way!

Be calm, take your time, and let the deer present a shot. Don't hurry it, don't force it, let it happen. You'll know.