• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best auger on the market?

Dennis

Yeah i have a old eskimo thats works like new and i have used new ones and they are the way to go. Strikemasters to me feel jerky. I feel that the jiffies anre just unsafe, and unpredictable. So Eskimo all the way.

The main points are: fresh gas - mixed to the exact proper ratio - a good plug - (carry a spare) - sharp blades.

Everyone seems to love the one they own -- as long as it starts well. I have a jiffy that for some reason, ( it's a two stroke), seems to get real stubborn about every fifth time to start .

It's like an old timer told the story about his old f-14 tractor, " I cranked that son of a complaining tractor til the radiator boiled over and it still wouldn't start"

Since I just destoried my auger while digging holes in the backyard(man I need help!) I'm looking for a new one.

Just joking about destoring the auger, but if I don't get on the ice soon...

Since I mainly fish for panfish I'm only going to need one that drills a 8" hole.

I'm looking for one under $400. Brand name doesn't matter.

Thanks

ive got a strikemaster mag3000 and it works great..wish i woulda bought the 2hp one for the weight factor because 1 sec lost doesnt really matter to me in the speed column

------------------
any fishing is better than no fishing!

Renneberg:

You already answered your own question in your original post. You said brand name doesn't matter.

You're right. You can get any of the big three new for under $400. Jiffy, Strikemaster, Eskimo.

They all run well. They all cut well. They're all durable. Each brand has some folks who swear their brand is the best and the rest suck. It's like the Ford, Chevy, Dodge pickup argument, or the brunette, blonde, redhead babe argument. Such wrangling will never end.

Go shop around for the best deal, and if you take care of it, it will last at least as long as you do.

I have a Strikemaster XL-3000 with 10-inch blades. It's six years old and cuts like crazy. I'd be just as happy with a Jiffy or Eskimo, I'm sure.

Only thing to decide, really, is whether to get the 8-inch or 10-inch and what size powerhead. Ten is really nice because you've got more room for your transducer in there and less likelihood a fish will tangle in the cord. Also, I'm more comfortable imagining what would happen if I had a truly BIG fish have to come through the hole.

If you go with a 10, make sure you get a 3 hp powerhead. Yes, you can run it with a 2, but a 3 will last longer because it's got the extra power to better drive that auger. But a 3 hp/10-inch is heavy. If you don't need the 10, go with the 8 and a 2 hp head, and it'll be a good bit lighter.

Main thing is, have fun. grin.gif Who cares if some guy can cut a hole 1.5 seconds faster than the guy down the lake?

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 11-25-2002).]

I'm with iceboy, I have a two horse 8" lazer mag and i love it. I've had it for two years and thousands of holes and never had a problem. It even cuts faster than my friend's jiffy three horse! As long as you have the right oil mix, you take the gas out in the spring, change the spark plug and use a little sea foam any auger will last, you just have to take care of it.

I went through this dilemma last year. I bought a 2HP 10" Strikemaster Laser Mag, ended up going through two augers due to various problems. Ended up with a 8" 2HP Jiffy that works great. After owning both I would say that I like the Jiffy better, smoother cutting (the laser blades tend to bite in to the ice pretty hard), and the fact that I got two lemons in a row from Strikemaster. But ultimately it's a personal preference issue!

I went through this dilemma last year. I bought a 2HP 10" Strikemaster Laser Mag, ended up going through two augers due to various problems. Ended up with a 8" 2HP Jiffy that works great. After owning both I would say that I like the Jiffy better, smoother cutting (the laser blades tend to bite in to the ice pretty hard), and the fact that I got two lemons in a row from Strikemaster. But ultimately it's a personal preference issue!

Let me recommend the spoon hand crank auger. You can find one for $2.00 or less at any garage sale. If cost is a major factor read no further you have your auger. Maybe losing a few pounds and getting in better shape after the holidays is your new years resolution? Again read no further you have your auger. After operating one of these for a full ice fishing season you will be ready for the world arm wrestling championships. If weight is a consideration you have again found your auger. The spoon crank can't weigh more than five pounds. You will save gas etc.. I could go on and on. By the way if anyone has a nice used cheap gas lazer just let me know.

I was at Fleet Farm last night and saw the Eskimo Mako auger (I think that was the name) for $245. It is red and has the curved blade like the strikemaster, and the same 49cc techumseh engine. However, the strikemaster is $320.

What's the difference between the two, besides $75?