• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

King of the Cats 2007 Team Cat Scratch Fever

DTro

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hit another 26.75" channel, but still no upgrade. My biggest problem is that I don't get a chance to fish the river very often. In the areas and lakes I fish, it's been a challenge to catch one in the 10lb class. It'll happen thou.

Here we go...

35" x 19" Sumo Channel Cat!

Bait: Cut Goldeye

Gear: 8' Berkley Reflex, Abu Garcia 7000c3, 80lb Power Pro, 3 oz No-Roll Sinker & a 5/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle

Even remembered the control item!

hansonkotcchannelcatym6.jpg

Uff Da... I just went and checked my previously entered channel cat and realized this just squeeked out the upgrade. Old channel was a total of 49 points and this one adds up to 54 points.

I think I'm done in the channel cat division. No way am I going to get a bigger one than this, even a fall fat 36" will be tough to move up with.

You know... others will kill me for this but I didn't weigh it. I had trouble getting the circle hook out of its mouth, then needed a length x girth measurement, along with a photo for the contest. I had the fish out of the water much longer than I like (mainly due to hook removal issue), guess I didn't want to hang her on a scale as well. I've learned with the big Red River channels that they don't like to be on a scale. 9 times out of 10, they'll flop so hard they'll fall off. Being that we were tourney prefishing, I was hoping if I was nice, she'd bite again in a couple days. Didn't happen.

If I were to guess a weight, I would put it around 18lbs or so. I've caught 35 inchers that have weighed 20-21lbs but they were much girthier.

Finally got an upgrade. 5 pts exactly

Cat Scratch Fever

Tyler Holm

Channel Cat

28" x 15.5" = 43.5pts

9lbs-11oz

Caught 8/14/2007

ty_cat_kotc1.jpg

Yeah Baby!

I still have some room to upgrade now on both my channel and flattie and I'll be working on both or either 3 times in the next week.

Way to man up dude!!

Did you catch that one on the St Croix Legend?

Shamu & I are hooking up for Cat League this Friday so we'll see what happens!!! If the fish aren't biting, I'm sure there will be some Jag & Red Bull around. blush.gif

Quote:

Nice fish, Chris! Wow, how come they grow so much bigger up there?

Don't know... I think they are mutants!! smile.gif

On the serious side, I have no idea, but the size of the Red River Channels run huge from Fargo, ND all the way to Lake Winnipeg in Canada. The size typically increases the further north you go. I would guess that its a colder water thing but I believe it probably has more to do with the size of the river the further you move north, or maybe the two combined. The channels in the Red are also King, there are no other predators other than random pike & walleyes (which are sumo as well). Another consideration is the floods. Since you went to NDSU when I was there, you would know what the floods are like. One has to imagine the amount of forage that is in that watershed, or swept into that watershed.

So I really think it is a combination of things...

- Genetics

- Cold water (majority of the year)

- Forage (tons of Goldeye in the river along with forage introduced through flooding)

- Lack of predators

Quote:

So I really think it is a combination of things...

- Genetics

-
Cold water (majority of the year)

- Forage (tons of Goldeye in the river along with forage introduced through flooding)

- Lack of predators

Seems like the cold water would make them grow slower and thus they wouldn't get as big before hitting old age. Bass get HUGE down south, so do crappies, I figured that was because of the warmer water.

Maybe the forage and other things make up for the colder water and then some.

I don't know...it might be that the colder water helps them survive to an older age. I shouldn't say that the water is "colder" because it does warm up to incredible temperatures in the summer, near 80 degree, but it is only a brief period in the summer when the water is that warm. The rest of the year is very tolerable and then locked under ice for 6 months or so.

I really think it has something to do with the floods & the composition of the land the river cuts through (Red River Valley - most fertile farmland in the world).

I really wish I knew, but the fishing is typically phenomenal. There is a reason the Red holds the title of the world's best channel cat fishery.

Way to go Tyler! I tell ya, I really gotta hand it to ya buddy! You never targeted the cats on Zumbro before and this year you and others in your boat, have produced not only numbers but size too. Also your honesty in not upgrading when being so so close is good old fashion honesty. grin.gifcool.gif