• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mr. Little buddy or Big Buddy

Orlip

I have the fish trap voyager and just purchased the little buddy. I was wondering if it will be enough. I don't expect to in shorts while fishing but it would be nice to remove my coat.

What is your opinion? Should I return it and get the Big buddy? I have yet to use it so I don't think exchanging it will be an issue.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to heat a frabill xl twin with a little buddy and about froze to death when the sun got behind the trees. I think it all depends on the weather your having and how much moving around your doing. hope this helps.

Dan

I have the same setup and it works good. The only time I have been cold is in subzero temps and there has been no snow to bank the fish trap. Even in that situation I was fine until the wind decided to really whip.

Exchange it. It'll be well worth it. I have the Big buddy and Frabill Tri-plex and it keeps it perfect on low on decent days. It's comforting knowing if the wind picked up I have some extra power to compensate for it. Plus I think it helps that it sits behind the chairs, on a tub in the sled versus on the ice. Just my $.02. smirk.gif

I have a yukon trap and a big buddy. The big buddy takes up more space but the options that is has far outweighs the size. It fits behind the seats and have the hose running out the traplink to the propane tank. Also if it is very cold it has higher settings and a fan that really gets the heat flowing.

If my memory serves me right they are 99.00$ at alot of stores right now, only 20 buck more it is worth it.

Yo- Jumboperch!.. welcome to FishingMinnesota and IceLeaders! Great to have you with us.

as for the question... I feel its best to have the more heat and not use it than to want it and not have it. I have the Big Buddie and rarely have it on high.. but its there if I need it. I have an Otter Cabin.

I have the Big Buddy heater as well. I have a Yukon and when I went to buy the heater I was wondering the same thing... buddy or big buddy? Well I went with the Big Buddy. I would rather sit around with it on low and warm enough in the house than sit around with the smaller one and being cold whishing that I had the bigger one! One thing that did weigh heavy in that decesion is I plan to bring mama along out this year and she is a wossie. Have a good one and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

I always error on the side of "more the better". You can always turn down the big buddy. The other thing is the big buddy is nice for early season fishing, duck hunting, etc. although I have had a tough time not breaking the regulators o nit. I have been through three of them. I know it is the way that I handle them. So I would also invest in one of those carrying cases, pretty slick.

Terry

I was recently looking at the buddy heaters and came out of the store with the BIG Buddy. More heat, holds (2) - 1 pounders and a fan. That's the trouble with shopping with friends, they can easly talk you into things like that. grin.gif I really like the heater! But I won't let my friend that talked me into it know that tongue.gif

"hooks"

I have one of each. For my one man I bring the little buddy with a latern. For my two man I bring the little one and the latern if it is above 20-25 degrees. If colder the big boy comes. If its well below zero I may just bring both but haven't been in that situation yet. blush.gif

Sounds unanimous. I will go get the BIG BUDD. Two more questions though.

1. I guy said it is like $99. Where?? The ones I find are $129.99. I got the little bud for $64.99. So Mr. Big was double.

2. I bought the hose kit to run a 20lb tank. If Mr. Big holds 2 1 lbers is there some other adapter that I need?

I found this on Mr. Heaters HSOforum in case some of you might have one of these.

Has there been a recall on the Big Buddy heaters?

Answer:

In 2004 Mr. Heater issued a recall on certain Big Buddy and Tough Buddy heaters. Following are some facts about the recall and guidelines for determining whether the recall affects your heater.

* This recall was initiated because the valve on the propane heaters can leak, posing a fire hazard if an ignition source is present.

* The affected Big Buddy heaters (Model MH18B) were sold between September and December 2004 at a number of sporting goods and hardware stores throughout the United States.

* The affected Tough Buddy heaters (also Model MH18B) were sold between September and December 2004 at Lowe’s home center stores.

* This recall does not apply to Mr. Heater Portable Buddy MH9B or any other Mr. Heater product.

* Only heaters in a certain serial number range are impacted by this recall.

* Your heater IS AFFECTED only if both of the following two statements are true:

o The only serial number is between MHC 000001 and MHC 294431

o The serial number does not have a yellow overlay (highlighting) over the serial number and the letter "R" following the serial number

* Your heater IS NOT EFFECTED if any of the following is true:

o Its serial number is MHC 294432 or higher

o Its serial number is MHC 748000000001 and higher.

o Its serial number is MHC 748100000001 and higher.

* If you believe that your heater is affected by this recall call the Mr. Heater Customer Care Team at 800-964-4328. Affected heaters will be replaced at no cost to you.

* If you need help in determining whether your heater is affected, call the Mr. Heater Customer Care Team at 800-964-4328.

Watch Fleet Farm...my dad bought mine there for $100 about a year ago. I was aware of the recall they had.

The hose can hook directly into where the 1lb tanks screw into the sides...pick either or. I just leave that hooked up all the time and then store the heater and hose in a padded tub in my portable and then hook up to the tank when I use it.

bought the mr heater many yaers ago, nice unit.bought the big buddy last year. used it once,seen the recall, sent it in. used it once last year, worked good. fired it up the second time this year and woof, flames everywhere.called mr. heater, they want it back to exzamine, mean while they are sending me a brand new one.not happy with the unit being at the factory more than my place, but like the service.if you have the little extra room needed for the big buddy i highly recomend it. be sure to use the filter if using a hose with out the regulator in line.

Alrighty then its back to fleet farm. Guess I'll have to do a self rectal exam and find the other $65 plus whatever that filter cost's. Sure would like to start using this stuff without having to drive 2 hours confused.gif

I paid $65 for the little bud. The big bud is $129.99 that's why I said I need to find the other $65. I think the filters are around $8. I paid $19.99 for the 12' hose. I have seen those for $29.99 at another retailer so I came out okay there but I would sure like to find out where big bud is a c note.

Sure glad I posted this. Just picked up the big buddy $68.50 grin.gif I think I got the last one in the metro. Went to lowes in shakopee they had the little buddy but no big buddy so I had them check the other stores and Plymouth had 1 left and I got it. Other wise if you are in Hibbing they have 26 left.

They did have a few Little budd's in Shakopee and still a hell of a deal at $37.50.

They also have the sunflowers for $20

I HAVE A LITTLE BUDDY AND A 8X8 HOUSE AND IT KEEPS IT NICE AND WARM IN IT. IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE OUT ON THE ICE FOR A LONG TIME IT IS WORTH IT TO GET THE 20 POUND PROPANE TANK HOOK UP. THE LITTLE GREEN TANKS ONLY RUN FOR ABOUT 3 HRS ON HIGH AND 6 ON LOW. BIGGER IS BETTER THOUGH, I WOULDN'T MIND HAVING THE BIGGER BUDDY, DOES IT RUN OF THE LITTLE GREEN TANKS TOO?