• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mr. Little buddy or Big Buddy

Orlip

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are excellent prices on the buddy heaters.

I'm a proponent of the 2 heater system. I've got a little buddy and a black cat style heater, and fish out of a 2 man trap. Usually one heater is all I need, but if it's really cold I'll fire them both up. I also take comfort in the fact that I have a backup on hand in case one won't start. If it's really, really cold I'll add a lantern to the mix.

It's a sale. They have all seasonal heaters at 50% off. Right now I am thinking about going and getting the little bud for early ice or for late February and march. For $37.50 its hard to not take it.

I have a lil buddy and absolutely LOVE it.. I have a 1 man fishouse and can run the heat on low and its still almost 2 warm on there!! I have the big buddy at home too but never use it icefishing just MORE stuff to log onto the ice..lol

I just called around thanks to the info here. Plymouth, Oak Park Htgs are out of them, but the Maple Grove has 9 left of the lil buddies. No big buddies anywhere. The Maple Grove store forgot to put the sale price signs out, so they have some left. I have my name on one smile.gif and will pick up tonight.

Thanks for the tip guys! That is a great price, and can be used in the duck blind next year as well!

Jeez, I just had Gander price match the Buddy and thought I got a good deal. It was $56.96 at Wal-Mart, and I had a $10 off coupon, so I got it for $47. Probably not worth the hassle to return it and save $10 though.

Quote:

I just called around thanks to the info here. Plymouth, Oak Park Htgs are out of them, but the Maple Grove has 9 left of the lil buddies. No big buddies anywhere. The Maple Grove store forgot to put the sale price signs out, so they have some left. I have my name on one
smile.gif
and will pick up tonight.

Thanks for the tip guys! That is a great price, and can be used in the duck blind next year as well!

I know the Shakopee Lowes had lil buddys left. I would say there was at least 10 as of 8:00am

Last weekend in Owatonna at Cabelas bought the big buddy for $99 and the also threw in a $25 case for free to sweeten the deal...I also agree with go big or go home. For the price I would definitly go with the BIG Buddy!!

My .03 cents! laugh.gif

I have the big buddy and so far I love it! I'm able to move it around the house while it's lit. As long as I'm reasonabily careful, it doesn't shut down. I have an 11 lb tank for it, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. So far, I've just used the 1 lbers with great success. Having two 1 lb tanks hooked up at once is very convenient and I typically run a day + without having to change tanks.

My only complaint is that there needs to be setting between medium and high, instead of low, med, super-mega ultra blast furnace high. There's just too much of a gap between med. and high. So far, I haven't been able to leave it on high for more than a couple minutes before dying of heat stroke.

I should mention that I also own the regular buddy. It's nice when the sun's out or if it's not too cold out, but it has trouble keeping my Otter Cottage warm when the sun sets. Big Buddy, no problems at all. None!

I just got off the phone With Lowes in Hibbing They have 23 oh I mean 22 Tough Buddy heaters left as of 8:24 pm. They are happy to send them out plus shipping. I just paid 83.50 to get one sent to me. I hope I am not braking any rules by posting this..... but that is quite the deal they are half price. bluehat28. Fish And Live.

Quote:

My only complaint is that there needs to be setting between medium and high, instead of low, med, super-mega ultra blast furnace high. There's just too much of a gap between med. and high. So far, I haven't been able to leave it on high for more than a couple minutes before dying of heat stroke.

I said that more than once!!

I'd save your money, I used my friends big buddy this weekend and I about froze. A big buddy will not heat a two man flip over in -10 with wind on LOW. I wished I would have had my mr heater double. There is no way I'll ever bring that with again. The mr heater double is 10,000 btu's more and this past weekend you needed all of it. Funny thing is I almost bought one earlier in the week, now I'm glad I didn't.

My 5y/o daughter spent the entire day on the lake on Sat, and the big buddy was more than enough to cook us out of the yukon. I did bank the house well with the 7 extra holes I had to drill to get some snow to do it with. I will agree with a previous post, there needs to be another setting. They have 1/2 on one side, full on one side, and both sides full. Where is the full on one 1/2 on the other?

I just got back from the north with my new big buddy. It was 0 when we hit the ice. No snow to bank the house with but had plenty of heat in my voyager. Now if I could get the kid to close his vent it would really get toasty. grin.gif

Thinking now I might get the propane lantern also so I don't have to mess with filling that up with special fuel.

If you use the bigger refillable tanks be sure you get the filter and screw it on where you hook the small tank, the hose with addaptor will then screw onto the filter. The reason you need a filter is there is oil in L.P., that is filtered out when the small tanks are filled by mf., It is in all bigger tanks and will plug the orfice in the buddy heaters. wink.gif

Ok.. I need help with this... I have a 10 lb tank with my Big Buddie.. and I have the hose and I also got the filter... SO I think I have done everything right. The Buddie has worked well all year.. but then again, it hasn't been that cold. so its never really gone above med for heat.. well, saturday and sunday of this last weekend it was a tad colder... So I put her on high.. it works for a while, then wham.. it just shuts off... I can get the piolet to light but will not stay on when I got to turn the knob to high again.. Now, when this happens the tanks is frosted on the outside... Is this a tank issue, or a Big Buddie issue or my issue.. I know for a fact that I was not over o2 levels, I didn't bank the house at all had both vents open and it was windy.

I just e-mailed customer service to see if they had an answer for me as well.