• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lakemaster or Navionics Chip?

jjohnson5150

From the minor research I have done, the noticable difference between these 2 is Navionics has LOW on it. If you have the Lakemaster chip, how does LOW show up? Is it a basic DNR type map or just a big blue blob with no detail?

On paper, Navionics looks like it will help me the most. When we go to LOW, we like to get out to the Garden Island reefs.

We also go to URL, fish around the west metro & our cabin on Pelican (Grant).

Quote:

From the minor research I have done, the noticable difference between these 2 is Navionics has LOW on it. If you have the Lakemaster chip, how does LOW show up? Is it a basic DNR type map or just a big blue blob with no detail?

Lakemaster shows LOW as a big blue lake outline with no features. If you want the LOW ProMap (1' countours) you need to by the chip specifically for LOW, which is absolutely incredible by the way. smile.gif

Unless I'm totally missing something, my Navionics chip does not have LOW in the kind of detail that the Lakemaster LOW chip has. I've been told by people in the know that Nav has LOW but I sure can't find it on my chip. What am I doing wrong folks?

There is also a new Navionics chip coming out soon so if you are looking at Nav, make sure you get the '07 version. This new Nav chip sounds absolutely sweet and can't wait to get my hands on it.

The "new" Lakemaster MN chip also has the Upper Red Lake ProMap (1' Contours) on it as well.

Quote:

The "new" Lakemaster MN chip also has the Upper Red Lake ProMap (1' Contours) on it as well.

6" contours on URL.

The only punishment I think that sounds fair for getting that one wrong hanson is to go to URL with said chip and test out its accuracy. wink.gif

Quote:

I didn't know you had a Nav chip?, are you selecting the right region for LOW?

Yeppers. Problem is I don't have it on me right now so I can't play with it. I use my Lakemaster MN chip quite a bit on the highway so thats whats in my GPS right now. I'm pretty sure that will be changing once I get the Nav 07 chip.

Quote:

Navonics LOW is on the NE Map Data. The detail is not great however it does show bouys and main depths. The Mille Lacs map is tons better IMO.

Yeah, claims of superiority of one chip over the other can't really be compared apples to apples. Navionics claims "Complete, Official Govt. Data" of LOTW and Rainy, and it's helpful info as far as those markings go and everything, but it's not like there are 1' contours or anything. But, of course, to get that from LakeMaster, you have to pop for an additional chip.

Look closely and get the one(s) that best fit your own situation.

brian - That could be more a matter of your unit's EPE at the time, not the particular chip being used. 100 feet would be huge, but not totally out of the question. I notice this a lot more in the winter when I tend to have my ExpeditionC in my pocket or in the house. Set it out in the open for a while and watch the EPE drop to something more like 16-20 feet before taking readings or creating waypoints.