• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Greatest American

Kodiak

look as far as your nearest veteran....the ones who would die for America and her freedoms....is there someone greater??? If so, would they matter without our veterans???

We have had many great leaders, etc. in our times, but to me the common man that would leave his wife and family to go fight a cause for which he probably has little to do with, is more of an american than I can ever hope to be.

Thank you ALL for your unselfish efforts!!!!! I stand in your shadow...

How about a high-five to all our Moms and Dads - without whom we wouldn't...........

But then again got to add in all the kids - who keep Mom and Dad on their toes.

Seriously, lots of greatness over the history of our country so it is hard to pick a person alone. But as a group, lots of Teachers are great Americans in my book too.

My dad! He was a Korean war vet and was one of the reasons that I enlisted in the military and ended up spending 20 years in the USAF. Concur with Blake, I lived the GI life for 20 years and every, day whether at war ot not, I made sacrafices for this country. It was no 8-5 job that is for sure. A lot of the "kids" that were coming in when I retired thought that but if they were not up to the challenge then they did not stay in my Air Force, simple as that. When I got married it was during the first Gulf War. I got that day and the next day off and that was it! Most of the guys that came to our wedding were in uniform and had to go back to work. Lives in the gulf were directly dependant upon the equipment that was in our shop and we did not take that responsibility lightly!

My hat is off to all vets wherever they might be! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

I thought Air Force life was pretty easy and laid back. Seemed like a party compared to life as a Marine or Army person. I dont think I've ever met anyone who thought Air Force life was too hard (though getting up for work at 7am after spending all night in the club isnt exactly easy). And if they did they probably got a wake up call when they had to go out into the real world and find out that security net is gone.

Anyway Im pretty disappointed in everyone that they did not agree that Gen Chuck Yeager was the greatest American. Ive had the honor of meeting him and seeing him fly "his" F015. Where the USAF and the USA is today is a direct result of the greatest pilot ever known to man.

Yeah... there were slackers in every unit that I was ever in. I had a hand in getting quite a few of them back to civilian status. I never said that it was all that tough... I worked in secure communications and we took our jobs very seriously... peoples lives depended on us. Those Marine and Army troops on the ground around the world relied on our commnications to keep them out of harms way. That is about all that I can say about that.

Chuck Yeager was a great man but don't be dissapointed that no one else picked him, that does not mean that they do not respect him. Have a good one and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

When my brother was stationed in Saudi, and again during the second gulf war in Jordan (patriot missle site), he used the air force e-mail system because they were more reliable than his army e-mail system. grin.gif

As for the Greatest American - I would have to go with Abraham Lincoln. Things would be much different today if he had buckled to the "popular" ideas.

For my hero, I would have to say my dad. My mom passed away just a couple of days after my 2nd birthday. Dad was fighting Hodgkin's disease at the same time. He made sure the four of us kids were taken care of, even when he was so weak. Dad remarried when I was four. He never turned bitter, he never had a pity party. He passed away in 2004, a very well respected man. He had many other trials and tribulations in his life, but he always set a good example for us kids on how to deal with adversity. He taught us that faith is important, the difference between right and wrong, and how to tell a good joke. He would always listen to us when we had problems, and helped us to figure them out. What a hero.

Fishinchicks It sounds like your dad was truly a great man! We do not meet near enough people like that as we make our way through life. You SHOULD be proud of him... sorry to hear that he is no longer with you but it sounds like the memories will live on forever and what truly great memories they seem to be. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo