• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pro's and con's of a tilt bed vs drive-on/off

dustin85

Now to reverse slednecks post ( I have to be different) I prefer a drive on ramp trailer. I blew my back out a while ago and I like driving the sled on and off instead of tugging on it to unload.

Although as Sledneck stated ramps are a hassle, if they are not froze in they are missing plus the ramp style is more money. I do like how the front ramps make a HUGE salt shield.

I have an 8.5x10, and bought an aluminum ramp that I use.

Well, this is for ATV's mainly, but its nice to drive one up, move the ramp over and drive the other one up.

No hassles needing someone to tilt the bed, drive one up, strap it down, then battle tilting it for the other ATV.

I then set the ramp next to one of the ATV's and just use 2 bungees and lock it to the side of the ATV.

I borrowed the set up to a buddy for opening deer and he laughed at the ramp thing. Well, when he brought the trailer/ramp back, he raved at how fast it was to load and unload.

Quote:

When I bought it, I figured I could buy or build a ramp if needed. The price diff in trailers was about 400....a ramp is much chaper if I decide I like using that more.

That can make a guy's decision pretty easily, eh?

I have a 8x10 aluminum tilt as well for my 2 sleds and it has been fine. My only complaint, if I do have one, is unloading them heavy beasts. Man, do I wish I had reverse on a sled now. Best thing you can do is drop both of them onto the ground and then pull the truck/trailer out of the way. Sleds are just too heavy to be muscling around.

Loading them is pretty easy and I can load 2 sleds all by myself. The balance point on my trailer is pretty neutral so if I don't load the first sled too far ahead, I can still get the trailer to stay tilted back for the second sled. Once the second one is up, it'll flip down.

I have a heck of a time with my Triton tilt bed staying up as well. Does anyone use ATV ramps to load their snowmoblies on their tilt trailers? I do have a fiberglass salt shield on the front of the trailer and that may be just heavy enough for it not to stay tilted up.

Quote:

Do you have a shock to assist the bed in staying up?

No, I don't think I do. The balance point of my trailer is just in the right spot.

What I do when I can't get the trailer to stay tilted down is run a sled right up to the back end, flip the trailer down, and then pull the sled by the ski tips so the trailer will catch under the front of the ski tips. Then hop back on and run it up. Sleds load a lot easier with studs on them as well. If I had a track with no studs, I would definitely cut 5-6 short pieces of old hifax crossways to make a ladder up the bed and give the track something to grab. You can buy these kits as well from Dennis Kirk or Shadetree.

Quote:

I have a heck of a time with my Triton tilt bed staying up as well. Does anyone use ATV ramps to load their snowmoblies on their tilt trailers? I do have a fiberglass salt shield on the front of the trailer and that may be just heavy enough for it not to stay tilted up.

I bet that salt shield is just heavy enough to keep it from staying up.

I have a tilt, and can say they are cheaper, but I did spend the money to get plastic slides to mount on the trailer to help in unloading. the plastic ski pads are not too expensive, and have saved my back. these work great, just get out of the way fast, because the sled will come down the bed quick grin.gif

I had my trailer built by a friend. He did it so cheap, I think he lost money. LOL. I had a problem with the tilt not being down all the way. My friend put in a spring on the bottom to hold it down. The spring runs from the axle to the Frame near the back of the trailer. It keeps it in the correct position when I put the sled on. No problems at all. A "shock" like you see on Tonneau covers or trunks may work as well depending on how your trailer is built.

Good Luck!

If you are looking for a cheap alternative to the manufactured ski slides and track traction bars for your trailer you can try this:

Find the vinyl lattice material in you hardware or builders store and get a 4x8 sheet of your color preference. Cut two strips about 10" wide for the 2 outside edges of the trailer, the larger leftover piece goes in the middle for both sleds to use on the inside ski. I don't remember how I cut it so I had enough to also get the extra length I needed for the 10' trailer but you can figure that out when you look at it.

Then also get the "U" channel that matches the vinyl lattice and cut that into 10" chunks and use that for the track traction bars on the back half of the trailer on each side. I was surprised at how durable this product was. Much more so than the actual lattice.

I spent about $20 total for my trailer and it sure helps with loading/unloading.

A few little chunks of the lattice have broken off where it caught on something but for the price, I can't complain.

Be sure to pre-drill.

ccarlson