• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Are insulated floors a must on a wheel house

bbassett

I would not say it's a must.it helps I just bought a ice castle and I did'n have it done,I also just bought a shell and did all the work myself.I made sure to seal the floor with silcone real good and went with a thick outdoor/indoor carpet

I have fished from a buddies that doesn't and mine does. Believe me it makes all the difference is the world if you plan on spaending a night out an the ice. For the money you might save it is not worth cutting that corner. Insulate the floor......

As a rule of thumb, you want twice as much insulation on the floor as the walls. If you wanted to cut corners, you could as it is easy to do later,(in most cases) but at some point you will wind up insulating it.

Have not really had issues with uninsulated floors if its carpet has a pad and you keep floor dry and house banked.

BUT if I had my choice I would insulate it and be assured of better warmth.

My sons house he bought used has 4" insulated walls and a 6" insulated floor with a 3/4" sub floor. I was in it the other day with just the furnace pilot on for two days. It was 28 degrees outside and thermometer read 58 degrees inside the thing. He had all his holes open as well with the inserts only in them so I'm convinced there is a difference if insulated.

Turned the heat on high for (15) minutes and it was just shy of (100) degrees. Turned his fans on and it felt like a massive hair dryer was blowing. lol

OK, my fish house doesn't have an insulated floor. How can I attach the foam insulation to the bottom of the frame from underneith and keep it in place? Would I glue it to the plywood underneith the frame with liquid nails? Any suggestion on how to attach foam insulation under the frame without if falling off traveling down the road? KOOBA

You can glue the foam to the bottom. That is what I have done. My mistake is I waited until the weather was cold. It worked, but it did not hold very long. Maybe 4 months and the foam came loose. It should have worked,but I wound up replacing some of the foam I glued in. This year, I glued it in May and put some wood under the foam and droped my house on it to act as a clamp. It seemed to work.

Good Luck

I built a 8 X 16 Vfront and I have 2" X 3" tube for the frame. My floor is 3/4" plywood thich I triple coated with wood sealer. If you bought 2" insulation and glued it to the bottom inbetween the framing would it work to use a rool on or spray on undercoating. Has any one done this or do you put it on the inside? I would say the underside. I'll be using more propane this year to heat it but never to late to plan improvments for next year already.

I converted a camper to an ice house, The first thin I did was lay down 1" blue styrofoam insulation, bought 1/2 in plywood, water sealed it, cut my holes, and put down paded carpet. That makes a huge difference. Later boar

Do you guys ever worry about water getting trapped between the insulation and the plywood & causing problems??

I've been struggling with, to insulate the floor or not, for 3 years. Ive got a 6.5x14 Ice Castle as well. Only the coldest of nights does the floor become cold or water will stay frozen on it near the edges. Anything to save on propane and battery would help.

kooba, I had mine done by chunks fish house out of madison lake mn. I think he charged me about 125.00 to hoist up the house and spray the underside with about 2in of foam. I have a 6.5X14. Not sure who all uses this in the state but check the yellow pages for insulation.

Do any of you know anyone around the cities, or Brainerd, that does spray foam on drop downs?? I tried getting in touch with Chunks which was mentioned but had no luck. Also, can you think of a reason NOT to use the spray on insulation? I am concerned about water being traped up there no matter what route I take. Thanks.

I think an insulated floor is a must. When I built mine I put down sheets of steel then 1.5" foam and 3/4" treated plywood. Works great and I don't get water inbetween.

I did a search on google and found a company that makes fish houses and they use spray foam. (218) 644 3392. Just check out the price, if they will even do it on a house they did not make. IMO, I think if you were concerned about moisture, (a good concern) you could use pink or blue foam and use a good quality waterproof glue that would cover the entire piece of foam. That way it would keep out any moisture out. You then could seal the gaps in with Great Stuff.