• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It can be a tough draw. The Watford City area is a very popular area to draw for. But it is tough to get it. I work with a guy that applies every year for a mule deer buck tag. He went one time 4 years with out a tag and then got one two years ago then he didn't get last year but then this year he got it again so it was only two years. I have another friend that will be on 4 years next season. But you have as good of a chance as any resident does Tom with the lottery ND has. But the draw is tough. Land isn't terrible to get on but you would want to do some research before heading out. Since you are a bow hunter have you ever considered bow hunting for them? Then you don't have to draw for it you can just get your bow license and go hunting.

Tom,

If you get serious about bowhunting for them, let me know. I can get you some useful info. As far as gun hunting, I have no experience. However, from what I've heard, IFF hit the nail on the head.

What do you mean you dont have to apply for nonresident archery any deer? We've always sent in an app., always gotten drawn but as I understand it there is a limited number of permits issued first come first served, correct? ( funnest hunt of the year by the way!)

Quote:

I understand it there is a limited number of permits issued first come first served, correct?

Yes, I believe this is the case. You still must apply (on-line, phone or by mail), but licenses are first come first serve.

marine_man

Harvey,

4 of us bow hunted mulies 2 years ago in western N.D. We did a do it yourself hunt on a guy's ranch that was between the north and south unit's of the Teddy Roosevelt park. We were out there around Thanksgiving time and saw tons of deer. The spot and stalk hunting style was new for us, but we ended up 2 for 4 and I should've had a nice 4x4, but didn't have a good angle to shoot. The next week 2 bowhunters hunted the place we were at and the one guy shot one the scored over 200 P&Y and the other guy shot one that scored in the 170's. I made a stalk on that 170 class buck, only to flush a covey of sharptails that flew into the bowl he was bedded and spook him and his harem! LOL It was a great trip and I'd love to do it again. The place we hunted was very reasonably priced and the property 5,000 acres? was archery only. I'll find the outfitter's info and get it to you.

Brian

Harvey I have hunted with rifle in the North Dakota badlands for over 25 years. We hunt in unit 4c which is North of Medora. I go with 8 family members every year and we draw 3-4 licenses per year. With work I do not have enough time to make more than one time per year there so I have never bowhunted. A majority of the North Dakota badlands are national grasslands which are public use areas. We never hunt on private land, always fill our tags, and usually shoot 1 quality buck each year. Fortunately this was my year to shoot a nice one. I would put up a picture but I do not know how yet. I can get you maps and suggestions on where to go if you are interested.....shoot me an e-mail address.

klw - I have said this before to some pheasant hunters, but party hunting is illegal in ND - deer, pheasants, walleyes - each individual must shot or catch their own.

It is in your deer proclamation.

Here is a ND Outdoors story:

http://www.gf.nd.gov/ndoutdoors/issues/2004/nov/docs/both-sides.pdf

While I really do not have a strong opinion either way, you may want to avoid posting we have a "party" of eight and usually get 4 licenses.

Now if the non-licensed people in the group do not hunt ... that is fine, but it is not what you posted.

Be careful - do not know who is reading your posts....

thanks for the tip but I am well aware of North Dakota laws. Those of us who do not draw tags either pay the 25.00 for a nonresident furbearer and chase coyotes or try shoot a pheasant or grouse. Nothing illegal from me

klw, I think Brittman was just trying to help you out. When I read your post I have to admit, I thought the same thing that he was posting about. However, you're right, you didn't say anything about party hunting. I did kinda sound like that's what was happening though. Glad to hear you're out there on the "up and up".

Quote:

I knew what you ment. We do the same thing every year. Nothing illegal about walking and drive deer to the guys with tags. It is just fun being in a group of guys that love to hunt.

amen!!!