• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Choosing a Flasher - MarCum or Vexilar

Matt Johnson

Well cny tim, i hope this unit is as amazing as what everybodys been saying because i just bought one! I can't wait to use it, i'm so excited!!!! Thanks again for making my decision a better choice!! I was really looking to buy a vexilar but joining this forum and talking to you guys i went with the reconditioned marcum lx-3.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on the purchases Pary and luv2fish..you won't regret it. Don't worry, no matter what the wife says..there is NOTHING wrong with you when she wonders why you're hunched over the side of the bathtub, staring at your Marcum the same day you get it!

CNY - I bought mine from fishingprostore...you were right on here - they were great..not to mention fast. I have yet to need customer service from Marcum..but I did email them for info on the upgrade last summer, and got a response within an hour.

Well Pary and luv2fish I honestly believe you will be very happy with your purchases as I have been using Marcums now for sometime and did some of my own comparisons and other folks were along for the ride . Marcum at that time was basically unheard of in Canada and I was likely one of the first to take the jump and have never looked back .Thankyou Tim for sharing your thoughts at the time .

I even still have my original LX-3 without the upgrade and it will serve duty on the ice again this winter and I have no intention of selling it even though I own an LX-5 and in all reality if I have a friend come along and they want to use the LX-5 they can go ahead with my blessing because my LX-3 will get the job done and in no way will I feel outgunned .

Marcum Tech support is top notch and with such a group of fishermen that are here and other places using the products as we do how could you fail in making the right decision .

There is a reason we keep right on laying down the hard earned coin for Marcums and that is THEY ARE JUST THAT GOOD .I personally will even be adding a VX-1 to my arsenal later because others just can't keep their mitts off of my Marcums once they see one in action on the ice and the crowd just keeps right on getting bigger and until their own unit reaches their homes I can't always keep them at bay and be able to have the use of a unit unless I own numerous ones so BEWARE . LOL

TD

I have the FL8. I love it and at the time I bought it, it was end of the year and found one on clearance. So it was about 175 less at the time (less than the 18). For the same money I'd get the zoom!

Quote:

does the reconditioned lx-3 come with the zoom feature that can zoom anywhere on the water column also?

Yes it does Pary . You basically have an LX-3tc with zoom etc . . Only difference between it and the actual 3TC is that you have 6 IR settings instead of 12 .

TD

Pary - Yes your LX-3 will zoom anywhere your little heart desires to zoom. You have a window you can move it from top to bottom and between. It's easy and I'll give you a short cut. When you get set up and you turned the unit on and located bottom tap the zoom button once for a 5' window and tap it twice for a 10' window, this is assuming your in 40' or less depth, then push your down arrow button immediately and hold and you will be able to follow the blinking yellow lights down the right side of the split screen to your desired zoom depth, and that's it... The right side of the display will be the entire water column and the left side will be your zoom window. If your fishing flats you need not reset it and you can hop around and fish multiple holes effortlessly.

The zoom performance on the MarCum LX-3 is incredible compared the FL-18, I know I owned both and the 6' bottom only zoom on the FL-18 was inadequate to say the least you need 10' because contrary to belief not all fish reside close to the bottom. And once you have got the zoom down it will blow you away. To go from 2.15" in regular mode to less than an 1" gives you the nitty gritty in the target area to help you refine your presentations and become more productive, incredible detail. Congratulations on your purchase and were here if you have any more questions.

OK, I've been reading this post since it was started. Thanks Matt for your time and efforts helping us on the facts and starting this thread to begin with. I am about to do an upgrade from my FL8, so this entire thread has been very informative. Infact I think I've read it from front to back a half dozen times, atleast!

I still have not made my mind up yet, on the brand. But have kind of narrowed it down to the LX5 or the FL20. I think? So keep those posts coming. It will help me out for sure. Thanks!!

Deciding which unit that's best for you really comes down to your style of fishing and what you like targeting. For some people the Vexilar units are going to suit their style the best, but for others it's going to be a MarCum unit, or even a Lowrance unit.

Is there a wrong choice? I don't really think so. Both MarCum and Vexilar make a quality product that help anglers catch more fish. I don't think anyone here can say one or the other is not going to help you catch more fish.

Some people are comfortable with their FL-8 because that's all they've known for years, and it suits their fishing style just fine. Those same people might be interested in upgrading to the FL-12 because they don't care for the zoom features but would like the low-power option and the new screen. And if that's what they want, then I say go for it and I'm not here to talk them out of it.

I gave the MarCum units a test several years ago, and they just struck me as incredible units. Since then I've used the LX-3 and LX-5 as my go-to units for both personal adventures and when guiding. The adjustable zoom really grabbed my attention, but that's because I spend a lot of time chasing suspended fish. And with the added feature of the push-button narrow beam that the LX-5 introduced, I found myself even more happy with the products that MarCum have designed.

Some of my best friends use Vexilars, and they catch more fish than most people I know. So the last thing I'm going to do is sit here and say Vexilar sucks and that you HAVE to get a MarCum. I will say that I personally like and use the MarCum units, but I'll also say that I'm a fan of a Vexilar units because they make an excellent product that has helped, and will continue to help, anglers catch more fish and have more fun on the ice.

Confidence in your flasher is first and foremost, because it's probably the most important piece of equipment that you'll bring out onto the ice. If you're comfortable with your flasher and you can understand what you're seeing, then you'll be just fine no matter your decision.

Matt, matt , matt . Let's not wishy washy this . If you can get zoom or not to get zoom for the same price or less what smart man would turn it down if price is same and quality is . I'm sorry lad as I enjoy your posts and vids etc but please keep it real . Nothing wrong with vexes as you say but why would ANYBODY buy and pay MORE for something that is less ? Vex made its mark but there is much more out there for the buck and it's Marcum Tech .

ps . That low power thing is just talk and same as "S" cable and FL-18 's have it so really meaningless . Marcum just DEALS with it in shallow water without a bandaide .

TD

I have had a fl 8 for a long time now i never had any problems with it what so ever, great unit.... I read all the forums between the vex & marcum, before I upgraded and i was leaning more toward the marcum. UNTIL i went to a few different dealers and all 3 told me go with vexilar again. The one dealer would not even sell them because they said too many problems and told me to spend my $ wisely and go with vexilar. So I bought a fl 20. My last vexilar was dependable till the day I sold it, a week ago....Happy Fishing..... cool.gif

I'm a vex guy too and I use my FL-18 all year. I also like some features on a marcum, but the guy at Gander sold me on the Vex. And I'm glad he did. I can find the transition line between mud and hard bottom on Mille Lacs.

Pary - I ordered my reconditioned LX3 with the true color upgrade about the same day you did. I just received mine last night. I believe mine came UPS, but when you ordered it you could pick UPS or USPS. I am so ready to get out there and use it!!! The unit looked to be in really good shape. The cover however looks kind of dirty, and has a musty/smokey smell. That is fine with me as long as the unit works. Let me know the condition of yours when you get it.

luv - got my marcum today n it looks brand spankin new!! also smells new!! one question though how do you charge it? it says to plug in positive terminal only n plug in wall jack n it reads 100% but when i unplug wall jack n plug n both positive n negative terminal it says 0%? i'm lost n e body can help me out? how do i test at home if it works or not? what colors does it display? red,yellow,orange or red, yellow, green?

Yeah I just got a LX-3tc used off another HSOforum and I'm wondering about the charging also. When I got it the digital charger was plugged in so I knew the battery would probably be drained, it was for the most part. I plugged it in for about 8 hours and when I unplugged it read 100%, then it read 60%, and when I got home from work it read 40%. The owners manual I read online wasn't very helpful, but my experience with vexilars is that you need a full ten to twelve hours of charge time or more to fully charge a new or drained battery. The good thing is these digital chargers will shut off when full charge is reached. Worst case a new battery will be needed. Hope this helps. Bob