• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hauling the dog

davidr

Hello, just want some ideas on how to bring the dog with when 4 wheeling...with winter fast approaching(lol) i am wondering what type of bag...box..etc i can fasten to the 4 wheeler for the dog. I have a german shepherd thats 7 months old so she has plenty of growning to do but is still to big to put in a back pack or anything. Its mostly for ice fishing or just tooling around so no need to really lock her down, but i would like someway of keeping her on the wheeler.

My lab rides by laying over the seat, on my lap so to speak, with his rear paws on the large footrests for support. He's a bit large for the riding on a rear rack. smirk.gif

If you want a dog to ride along, train it young. I adopted an adult lab that won't have anything to do with riding on anything, but she loves to run after them.

So does the dog ever fall off the back rack ? I guess im just worried without sides the dog will just fall off going around corners and bumps and such...but then again they be alot more agile than us. I was almost thinking of strapping her kennel on the back rack but that wouldnt be very intertaining for her.

Buy a tall rail to go around the back rack if you're worried the dog will fall off. Also, remember, passengers need a helmet wink.gif Once saw a guy pulling a small trailer and his dog was laying comfortably as they made their way down the trail during a hunt.

My dog has never fallen off the rack, but I started her as a puppy. I go slow around corners with her, and she has amazing balance. Sometimes she will ride in front of me as ChuckN's dog does.

She usually prefers to run along side me, but when I plow snow, she will ride when she wants a break. When she wants to get back off, she'll wait until I slow down or stop, or start nudging my left arm to let her off.

It is funny to watch her when we walk by the parked wheeler. She will jump up on it, and sit down on the back rack hoping it is time for a run.

I have used several methods over the years. First I made a box and put it on the rack with u-bolts. When I got a 4 wheeler I used a kennel strapped on and now they ride in a Swisher rear drop basket. Now that I added a rear bag and seat cushion combo they appear to like that.

10-4, going to pull the wheeler out of the garage this weekend and see how she handles tooling around the yard. Thanks for the input guys. I like the bag idea with a pillow...granted the honda is a pretty smooth ride but trails/ lakes can get pretty bumpy.

just checked out Moose and they have a easy access drop down rack that is just about perfect for dogs...catch is they want $200 for it. So anyway, i know what im looking for now so thanks again.

I looked at that drop rack also, when trying to find a solution to your question, but, I didn't anyone would've got that just for the pooch to ride in. You should probably pad it, too. Honda's are smooth confused.gifsmirk.gif

Places like Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse carry those drop down racks as well.

10-4, looks like the cabela's is a little less expensive...so lucky me i get to take a ride to cabela's.

oh and the 05 rincon rides like a dream...now the buddies forman is a different story.

In my opinion you would be much more comfortable with your dog in a kennel on the rear rack. Jumping from a moving vehicle is very dangerous for the dog. Think logs or fishing holes in the ice and it would be pretty easy to see that a broken leg could result. Even a well disciplined dog can be startled or see something to chase/investigate and if unrestrained may try to jump from a moving vehicle. Put the dog in a kennel and it won't even try. In my opinion you owe it to your dog to keep him safe. Just ask yourself, What day and time am I going to have my next accident? If you don't know, drive defensivly.

Yeah i looked at some drop down extension racks and it just didnt seem like the dog would wanna stay in it so im going with the kennal mounted to the rack....for 1 main reason...she already lives in her kennel and is comfortable with it. Plus with a plastic kennel it will be easier to cover it to keep the heat in and the cold/mud/ice out. Anyway, thanks for all the comments.

ps...Dave, what ride could be more smooth than a honda ? smile.gif

Quote:

A lumber wagon comes to mind
smirk.gifshocked.gif

Ok Dave.....lets not get sarcastic!

Besides, even if it were a bumpy ride...its better than NO ride at all because you are home working on your smooth riding ATV. (remember now, I have pictures!) smirk.gifshocked.gif

As for hauling the dog....don't forget about the exposure to exhaust if a dog is riding in a drop rack. It may be a problem depending on where the exhaust comes out.

I have a Honda Foreman with the backrack. What I did was cut a piece of plywood that fit the rack. Used U bolts to fasten to rack. Built two boxes for each side. 8" X the width of the rack and about 10" high. Then in between the boxes I put down two inch foam and covered it with leather like material. Total cost about $15 total time maybe an hour. My purpose for the unit was to give my kids rides around the yard. Now that they are to big for it the dog has found a new spot. He is an eighty pound golden and sits there like he is the king dog. The neighbors giggle when they see me out plowing they think it is the funniest and craziest site to see. The newspaper thought so too. Our home town photographer had to put it on the front page. Many comment about that. My dog is so spoiled everytime I start the wheeler he is sitting and waiting for the OK to jump on. Now I need to find him a helmet. I will try and picture and post it for you.