• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Airgun advice...

Ok.. I like to shoot, just target pracice type things... anyway.. I bought a Winchester 100X air rifle, and have been nothing short of bummed out about this rifle. It shoots probably 8"groups at 30yards.. I assume the scope may or may not be the culprit. But after 4 times using it now and trying to get it sighted in, the trigger will only go off every now and again.. then I have to re-cock in and try again... and yesturday it went off once when I just closed the action... way dangerous.. so that will will either get the burn barrel, or winchester will be getting it back.. weather they take it on return or not.

SO, looking for advice.. I want a nice air rifle. One that I can hit a pop can at 30-50 yards consistantly.. any suggestions?

My pops has a Gamo that is little critter/pop can death. Think he paid around $175 for it and has a cheap 4X BSA scope that works fine. Nice for practice cuz its size/weight is more similar to a hunting gun than the standard 10 pump plastic cheapies. I can call him and get more details(model and price) if you'd like. He's had none of the problems you've mentioned. Later double D.

I have the same model, it shoots great but the range isn't the best but I don't know of any that are. I had problems with the first scope that was on it but the second is alot better, the trigger thing I could not get over how heavy it was it has to be 8 lbs or something, not as smooth as the gamo's that I have shot. I seen that there is a new pellet that claims to be faster and more accurate. They are like $5?? for 100 and are created for hunting I would like to give them a try. I had to mess around with different pellets and found that they can very a bit and helped with accuracy.

I picked up a 100x this spring after my Daisy powermaster died after only 1 year mad.gif It took quite a while before we could get it to shoot any groups less than 2" and every group would have a flyer or two. There is a trigger adjustment on it that makes a big difference in accuracy. I think the thing is set to 30 lbs from the factory smile.gif There's a set screw behind the trigger you access through a hole in the tigger guard.

I love this HSOforum!... Its not just about fishing!!!(which I love by the way)...

Well against my better judgement, I took the air rifle apart... cleaned it(I am clueless to where things should go and or were.. LOL... but it went back together and the safty and trigger now work again.. I never did fire pelets through it yet, but it does fire.

I did not however find any trigger ajustment? And you were guessing 30 lbs?.. I was thinking 50?.. LOL

in my search today on the net, I found 2 air rifles that I am somewhat interested in.. anybody have any thing to say about either?

Remeington Genesis

Gamo Silver Shadow Supreme

Dietz

If your willing to spend $150 on up for an air rifle check out the ones made by RWS from germany and the ones by Beeman. Both companies make absolute tack drivers. My dad gave my brother in law a RWS that is almost as powerful as a .22 rimfire. He uses it for pest control on his acerage. Quality guns for sure.

Beeman has been the big name in these airguns for years. I've not heard of the Gamo's before though. The real quality airguns, from the little I've seen of them, are well built quality weapons. Always wanted one when I lived in town, but now just use the .22 whenever I need to dispatch of unwanted critters at the acreage. Plus its cheap enough to shoot for plinking/fun too.

Double D - Its a Gamo Hunter 220, .17cal at 1000fps. Came with a BSA .22 Special 4X32 scope and he got the rig at Scheel's about 3 years ago. He paid under $200 for the rig, I think it was on sale for about $170? Hope this helps. Later.

Thanks Cooter...

Actually- I went into Gander today(where I bought it) and asked to talk to a manager... He was quite nice and allowed me to exchange for store credit for any instore pelet rifle... Picked up a Remington Genesis... looks like a nice littel shooter.. cant wait to try it out.

Thanks again all...

havn't even picked it up yet... but its on hold.. as soon as I get it and have a chance to shoot it I'll let you know.

I read a lot of reviews on the net.. seems like the only complaint is that its a tad loud(for an air gun) and that the scope may move if not fully tight.

I have the RWS Model 52 W/scope. It shoots the .177 pellet. I think is shoot about 1100fps. I can shoot a group the size of a quarter at 25yds. So if you are willing to spend the $$$$, I would highly recommend. I do not seem to have that squirel problem at my feeders any more. wink.gifwink.gif

I was into air rifles a few years back and one "very" important item that I found out through experience is that a high end air rifle kicks more then a 30/06...(not that the shooter even feels the recoil) but the mechanics of the piston inside the barrel which is spring loaded ,builds up tremendous pressure slammimg back and fourth when the trigger is pulled...that's the reason why one "cannot" mount an ordinary rifle scope on a top end 1,000' fps plus air rifle...one has to have a scope that can take the recoil from an air rifle...and here's a very important suggestion..one "must" have a "scope stop" mounted behind the scope to keep the scope from "walking " back after each shot...I experienced that when I first started into air rifles...one may think that the screws are sufficient to hold the scope down ..they arent!...a suggestion is a scope mount with "hex head" mounting screws(NOT REGULAR SLOTTED SCREWS) and a "one piece scope mount"(not a 2 piece scope mount)...if one doesn't do this,the scope will move and the point of impact will start changing down range at your target....i actually had the scope shear the mounting screws on a gamo "hunter series" air rifle I owned a few years ago(the scope mount screws wern't tight enough out of the factory)...another suggestion.....make sure the scope mounting screws are reallY "tight" when taking the rifle and scope out of the box when first recieving your air rifle...after really doing my homework ,I even went as far as to use "lok-tite" on the scope mounts........once I did these things to my air-rifles,the pellet pattern stayed consistent at 40'+ even got groups the size of a pea at 40'...the gamo series was a good air rifle but the air rifle (I preferred) was a chinese model.the XS B-21 (counterpart would be the RWS) ...this chinese air rifle was a "tack -driver" and super solidly built....made in the Xsisco factory that made AK-47's during the cold war in china...anyway...hope you enjoy your new air rifle Dietz!...jonny grin.gif

the movement is definitely backwards,Dietz....I'm attaching a very good "tech" article that somewhat explains what I said previously....there's alot of info there...you'll notice the part in the article in regard to "recoil stops"(scope stops)...it's a "must have"...if you don't install this clamping device(usually a small dovetail clamp with one screw that locks behind(rear) of the actual scope mount...more then likely the scope will "creep" slowly "backwards" toward the shooters face...there's a lot of info out there on this and a good idea to look up scope stops.etc...the article here will head you in the right direction......jonny grin.gif

http://www.airgun-express.com/pages/techarticles/telescopicscopesmounts3.asp

So if I wanted to spend $200 max on an air gun with a scope for swatting rabbits in the city ... what would be the best gun to purchase? The quieter the better! I'd think 1000 fps is of interest. I think I'd get most of 'em within 30 yards but any accuracy/killing power beyond that would be a bonus.

Ok.. I had the chance to run about 100 pellets through this Air Rifle today.. .Put the scope on it and sighted it in... This is totally an un-paid endorsement... I was able to put a 5 pellet grouping in the size of a penny at 25 yards... I was amazed. I'm a very happy camper!

And G-man.. its right about that $200 range...and comes with a 3X9 scope as well...

Not at 1000 FPS... I put up a piece of 3/8 in plywood behind my target today thinking it would stop the pellets...There is nothing but woods behind my cabin for about a mile so if it went through its still safe.. good thing.. not even sure the plywood slowed the little buggers down. I just really like to shoot, and this is a very cheep option!