• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

78 days until bow season

wow thats it sounds so close and i still havent decided on my bow yet!!!Man do i gotta get a jump on things, just around the bend im pumped...bow hunting also means ice fishing is coming grin.gif...one thing at a time i geuss smirk.gif

I dont have near the wait as it opens on Labor day weekend in North Dakota.I usually dont the hunt the first few weeks as the weather is so warm.They will wait for me a grow just a bit more.Now,time to go fishing. smile.gif

SMOG, hope you arn't putting off practicing!

The worst mistake first time bowhunters is getting started (practice shooting) just before the season starts.

Been shooting at my new target with my new release since last week. Just don't seem right shooting while your sweating, but thats what ya gotta do to get in shape for bow saeson because it sneaks up on you when you have a huge honey-do list! I trust you are practicing already! Hope this advise help!

GIT-R-DONE! grin.gif

Another thing you can do when shooting to get the sights and you right is to shoot from a elevated position like you would be in your stand.It does help.Also,for later in the year when you are hunting in colder weather,pratice with the clothes you will be hunting in.Many times someone will shoot at a deer when they have a coat on and hit thier sleeve.Pratice,pratice,pratice and you will be glad that you did when the deer of a lifetime comes buy.Good luck to you and have a safe hunting season. smile.gif

Also,dont forget to use your safety strap for your body when hunting in a tree.It just might save your neck. smile.gif

Wow, a guy loses track of time !! I just put in a food plot and ladder stand down by Rochester thinking I have a long ways to go before I use it but, this will be my first year hunting and can't wait for the hunt!!

hey, thanks for the advice guys, ive accually been told to start shooting asap by quite a few people already, accually i stop'd by the bow shop right after work 2nite but they must have closed up early frown.gif ive been building up my bow a few pieces at a time and all i have left to get is a release, a loop, and a peep sight and then i should be ready to sight it in, ive alao been told to practice with some bulky clothes on just like harvy lee said, all seems like good advice and i really apreciate it, and as a beginner im always open to any tips and advice i can get, thanks guys

Practice. Practice. Practice. Being able to make the shot should be the last of your worries come the moment of truth when the deer steps into your shooting lane.

Use broadheads for target practice well before the season opens. If your bow is tuned properly, your broadheads should fly the same as your field points. That's what I've always read but mine are always a little different. Give yourself time to adjust your sight and make the switch comfortably. I've already started using broadheads exclusively but that's just my preference.

Been out twice a week for the last 2 weeks and really grouping my targets pretty good. I know the old adage is "you should practice year round", but I've picked up my bow at this time each of the last 3 years and have gotten deer the last 2 with the same practice regime I have in place.

I won't make opener this year, but the weekend after that I'll be in the stand. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled to the forum around the 16th smile.gif