• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog Name

Cheif Catchemall

How about Artemis. From Greek mythology, she was the virgin goddess of the hunt. The Roman mythology equivalent would be Diana.

Whe have a male and a female lab. Oscar and Maggie. I had to laugh when I saw Wigglin's post because my wife does the same thing to our Maggie when she has been naughty.

First dogs name was Jasmine. Little Black Lab Waterspanial mix. She live to a little over 16 years old. Then came Gunner a head strong Golden Retriever that had a fettish for eating socks and gloves. Current do Gus' Winter Blizzard "Gus" a Yellow Lab. Already decided the next dog if the attitude is anything like Gus will be "Dozer" short for Bull Dozer. Gus will charge through the thickest stuff you can find and keep going for more.

I've got a female springer named Benelli - Nelli for short - and a female black lab mix named Winnie. I tell people meeting my lab mix for the first time that her name is short for Winchester but if my wife or daughter are within earshot I am quickly corrected with her real full name, "Winnie the Pooh"; another victim of letting kids name the dog.

Have fun with the names if you haven't already picked one yet.

I had to pick a name for my pup about a year ago. Like all you others I had troubles. My brother and I were driving from Mn to Oregon. We started at A and went through all the names and words we could think of that started with A. We then went on to B and so on. I wrote down all the names I liked from each letter. Once I had a big old list I showed it to my Girlfriend who also is the proud parent of our baby springer and let her choose. This is my second springer and one of the names on the list was Deja-Voo. She really liked that name and we went with it. Ever since day one we've called here Deja, and she cought on real quick. Next time you are gonna be stuck in the car for a while, mite as well brainstorm names and let the time fly by.

Good luck and have fun!!! cool.gif

I am in the same deal you are in. We are going to be getting a new female lab pup and trying to come up with a name for her. I like the name Dakota but the neighbor's kid has a dog that name. I also kind of like Chazz but everybody thinks that sounds like a name for a male. My other two dogs are Molly and Megan so I kinda want to do something a little different for this one.

A guy I hunt with has a dog named Venus, it was his son's dog but he moved away and his dad ended up taking care of her.

I have a friend who just got a lab cross and named her Elway "Ellie" for short. He has been a huge John Elway fan his whole life. Good luck and have fun picking a name, I will be watching your thread to see if I can get any good ideas off of it.

When we got our GSP we tried to figure out how to name her.

We had the kids help and settled on Moca because she looked like Mocha, but changed the spelling to make it unique.

I remember somewhere someone told me to keep it simple and not too long or cumbersome.

You have to use it in the field and the dog needs to understand it, and sometimes quickly.

Our second GSP is named Mae.

I like naming dogs about something that is important to me, my male dog is named Harley, when I bought him I used to ride a lot...my female is named Kenai. Me and my wife honeymooned on the Kenai peninsula in Alaska. I think my next dog will be either Gretzky or Freely (for KISS guitarist Ace Freely).

A buddy of mine has a english bulldog and they named it Brutus. After a while they were just calling him Bru. Well the dog had to be reprimanded often so they were always saying to it Bru "No". The dog got so used to hearing this it would only answer to that name. Now the dogs name is Bruno. smirk.gif

I just got a female black lab and named her Wren. smile.gif

I think my next dog will either be Nelli after the Benelli or Reload. I always liked the name of the Duck Commanders dog.(Phil Robertson)

I have had 3 Yellow labs in my life. First was a male Sam. That one could work either way. Then there was Tippy. She had a little white tip on her tail. Finally there was Canouse. Named after the Canouse River in Alaska.

As indicated earlier most trainers will tell you to stick with short one sylabol names. Dogs will responde better to them. If you think of the commands we us on our dogs most of them are short Sit, stay, down, over, come, hup. Just to name a few. Try to keep it short.

This trend is making me want to get anougher dog.

Good Luck

Todd

I have had dogs all my life. I have decided that every dog I ever have from here on in will be call "Cookie". It never fails when the dog is out of sight and a little bit slow to respond I yell cookie and my dog comes running trying to beat all the other dogs that recieve cookies for treats. I have had many heartfealt conversations with Bailey but all he hears is BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH COOKIE.

My labs are named Buddy and Barney and they are brothers. The next dog ( which I hope is a long ways off) will be another lab and I'll name him Harland. Just sounds like a big brute dog name smirk.gif