• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tips on Silencing Your Bow?

IcEaHoLiC

Hey everyone, I am just getting started on archery hunting. Bought myself a bow 4 days ago, to which i have never shot a compound bow before that in my life. I have been shooting everyday since for about an hour, and I have noticed right from the start how loud and how much vibration comes from the release every time. I know that will need to change before hunting season so I am curious to see what people have to say about silencing your bow. I personally have the stabilizer that came with the bow (PSE Fire Flite 33 CF)and that is it. Any hints on silencing?

also......any hints on replacing fletching? instead of buying new arrows?

IcEaHoLiC-

They make things for the strings on your bow, they are called string leaches, they are made by SIMS Vibration Labs. They also have an S-Coil stabilizer that is supposed to help reduce vibration and sound, otherwise go to an archery shop and look around, see what you find. I know i've heard good things about those two products.

Also on your arrows, they make special glue, and you will use that after you purchase new fleching. I think it's easier to just take it in to an archery shop to get them repaired, it doesnt cost much either. But anyways, hope this helps. And welcome to the greatest hunting sport!

Personally I use the Sims S-coil stabilizer and it made a huge difference for me. My buddy is very jealous that my $25 stabilizer did better than his $45 one.

As far as the string, I use regular cat whiskers. These are the things that look like a jig/spinnerbait skirt. They are little rubber strings attaches by crimping them around your string. Until someone can prove to me that spending bug bucks on silencing kits works better than the old stuff I will keep using what I got.

To replace your own fletchings you will need a fletching jig to make sure they go on correctly and uniform. You will also need adhesive and a tool to remove the old fletchings and to clean the arrow for refletching. I want to start doing that this year so I can try different styles of vanes, but it takes a bit of money and practice to get started.

I would take your bow to a pro shop and make sure everything is in time and tuned.If it is a used bow you could have several things that make your bow noisy.

My Mathews is quiet without all the add ons that will slow your arrow speed down if added to your string.

And yes,sims makes some very good products if you need them.

Good luck

Unquestoinably, one of he most overlooked aspects of silencing a bow, is shooting the proper weight arrow!

All of these speed freaks want to shoot the newest super-material, lightweight arrow.

TADAWANKGGGGG

It's a really nice sound. wink.gif

I'd rather listen to a deer fall into dried autumn leaves......

That's the same bow I have and if you bought the package the arrows that came with it should be the right weight (Dominator 300's). I have mine tipped with 100 gr points and I did put the Sims string leaches in and put a sims pad on the end of that provided stabilizer bar. I think it shoots pretty quiet...but then again lots of years of rock music and big V-8 race car motors haven't left me with the best of hearing either laugh.gif

I would consult arrow charts... Arrows have a weight and a spine. The heavier the arrow with the correct spine will absorb the most energy and be the quietest. However, will be slower out of the bow. A happy medium seems best most of the time.

A good place to start is the arrow manufacturing websites. They will give you all the info on the arrows you need. Then its just a matter of tinkering to find the one that works best for you. Just make sure you don't go below the bow manufacturers minimum recommended arrow weight.

Rolly

Make sure all accessory screws are tight, maybe even take the quiver off and shoot it to see if its the culprit. Might even need limb pocket greasing or you might have problems with cam/wheel bearings/bushings. Probably the easiest, simplest route is to go to a pro shop and have someone listen to it.