• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Sled?

Lazy Mike

I have finally decised to buy a new snowmobile. I plan to use it primarily for ice fishing on and around Lake Vermilion. I will need to pull a Yukon Fish Trap and also be able to fit my 5 yr old son and sometimes my wife. I am trying to decide between the Polaris 550 Touring DLX ($4900), or Ski-Doo GTX Fan 550 ($5800), or Arctic Cat Panter 570 ($5600). Price wise the Polaris looks like the best deal. Any compelling reason to choose another make or model?

Thanks, Mike

All great sleds. Since I'm a Cat guy I would say Cat. grin.gif This is the time of year to wheel and deal too, it's a buyers market.

Personally, if I were looking for a nice 2-up and willing to spend that amount of money I would find a used 2002 or newer Arctic Cat 4-stroke 660 touring. If I didn't primarily trail ride, this would be my ice fishing machine...hands down. Quiet, no smoke, powerful, reverse, EFI, luggage rack and hitch....standard, not to mention 25mpg. grin.gif

I have seen these used machines with under 1,000 miles sell anywhere from $3500-5,500. $3500 is an absolute steal, but it happens with a winter with no snow in the southern half of MN.

I would stay away from any sled that is EFI, they depend on batteries, at least mine does, to get fuel to the cylinders. Leave that puppy outside on a subzero night, the battery will freeze, meaning the sled wont run and you'll have to buy a new battery. Mine runs great, and starts on the second pull every time, and I mean every time, but I've gone through probably $300 in batteries for as long as I've had it. I have a polaris efi 500.

Maybee there is a new design\system for EFI's now, I dont know.

Farley, I think you have a problem with your sleds charging or electrical system. I have a 92 polaris EFI sled and I go about 4-5 years on a battery. Never have it freeze on me. I'd guess either it isn't getting charged or you have some kind of electrical drain going on. Only dead batteries will freeze. I wish I could help you locate the problem, but i'm not much of a mechanic when it comes to electrical systems. But I do think there is something wrong.

The newer batteryless EFI on Artic Cat's are really nice. I don't know if the model you were looking at has it or not.

Any of the sleds you mentioned are fine machines and will work great for your purposes. pretty much personal preference. I'd make sure you get one with reverse. Armstrong reverse is fine but sooner or later you'll wish you would have paid for reverse. My wifes sled has reverse and I take that fishing 95% of the time because of it. It's just easier to load/unload and manuver around with. Her sled is pretty much the 1991 version of the Polaris you are looking at. (91 Indy trail deluxe 500) Works great and still running after 15 years and 6500 miles on original fan cooled motor!

At the prices he mentioned he has to be buying a fairly new sled.....in which I would definintely go with EFI vs carb.

The only reason I would go with a carb these days is if i was tunning the sled with aftermarket parts or if I wanted to save money.

Hey Mike,

I haven't heard anything bad about any of the sleds you are looking at. Do they all have close to the same features? That's quite a difference in prices.

If I were buying a sled just for kids, wife, pulling my fish house, I'd have to really consider a utility type sled such as the Arctic Cat Bear Cat. I'd go with the 4 stroke engine, the longest, widest track available, electric start, reverse, two up seat, the biggest windshield I could get, mirrors, hand warmers, and I would get it in black or gray so I could proudly ride it while wearing my black Carharts or my camo suit! grin.gif

P.S.

Forgot to mention EFI is a must. I'm a Cat guy also and own six sleds...only one has carbs and one has the battery EFI. The newer batteryless EFI is awesome. I won't buy another sled without EFI. Even one of my Harleys is EFI! What's the world coming to!

If you can wait untill this fall you can pick up a carryover sled at a huge discount and still get a new sled and warranty. If you are going to be sledding across a lake that is more ice than loose snow your choices for a fan cooled engine will work better than any of the liquid cooled motors. Might want to have the track studded for a little better traction and control.

mechanictim, of course the Polaris dealers are telling me their snowmobiles are priced as low as they will ever get because the season is almost over and they don't want to pay the interest over the summer. Do you have any idea how much less a carryover would be come summer/fall?

I have a 2002 Super Sport with the 550 fan and it is a great engine and I have had no problems with the carbs at all. The sled always starts on the 2nd pull. Also as far as EFI and Polaris goes, unless you want to get a older EFI 500 Indy or a older RXL 650 Indy, Polaris does not make fuel injection unless you get the 900... Maybe the new Polaris 4 stroke has EFI, but I am not sure on that. As most people have already stated all the sleds you have listed are good sleds. Good luck.

I also have a 2002 550 fan Super Sport. Without a doubt, this is the best sled I have owned. I have heard, however that there were enginge problems with (I think) the 2004-2005 models. Look at the forums on Polarisman.com for more info. Good luck with your search.

Dukhntr

Mike, you can get pretty good deals on some used sleds with very low miles. I can get you some sites to watch if your interested.

Also, I am a Polaris guy, but I can tell you after riding an Arctic Cat F6 EXT EFI (fiances' dad) it is a nice sled and I would think it has enough room for a second passenger. I also rode an 03 Skidoo MXZ 600 (a good friend just got two weeks ago) on the rev chassis and man does that thing ride smoooooooooth. Almost has me looking to buy one. I have not been on a sled that ride and better that the REV chassis. This is also nice for the times the trails get bumpy!!!

The Skidoo also has a 1+1 seat that can be attached for a second pasenger or taken off if riding solo. It looks like a fairly nice setup and you wont find a better riding sled out there IMO.

I find it hard to be talking up this OTHER brand....but I am seriously considering a brand change as hard as it is to say.....I was that impressed.

I have not riden a new Polaris Fusion/IQ chassis so I don't know how they compare.

And studs would be recomended (needed) to grip the ice in lower snow conditions if your pulling an ice house (depending on weight).

Quote:

I have heard, however that there were enginge problems with (I think) the 2004-2005 models.

I heard the same thing now that you mention it. I spoke to a mechanic that has had a few of these new Polaris 550 fans with major engine problems. Some customers had their engines blow after 20 miles...twice!

Ok.....heres the ones I am always looking at:

Along with the Star Tribune classified you can look at the Poineer Press ones also.

-Twincities(dot)com

There are also good classifieds at:

-sledcity(dot)com

-snowsnakes(dot)com

-sledswap(dot)com

Then there are also forum like this site that have classifieds. The last few are not as good, but still worth checking:

-hardcoresledder(dot)com

-snowmobilefanatics(dot)com

-snowest(dot)com

-arcticchat(dot)com

-dootalk(dot)com

-snowtracks(dot)com

-snowmobileworld(dot)com

-ultimatesnowmobiler(dot)com

You can compare sled specs at:

-maximumsled(dot)com/buyersguide/index(dot)asp

-Polarisfiles(dot)com

You can order parts and look at diagrams at:

Polaris:

parts(dot)polarisind(dot)com/Browse/Browse(dot)asp

Arctic Cat:

brownsleisureworld(dot)com

Used Parts at:

alssnowmo(dot)com

www(dot)uslink(dot)net/~mohawk/

whew......hhhmmmmm...did I leave any other usefull links out? Can you tell I have been at this for a while! LOL wink.gif

Maybe I will post this in a new post to make a possible sticky for future reference.

Mods...let me know if I can't post links like this!!

HANDS DOWN THE BEST SLED FOR ICE FISHING IS THE ARCTIC CAT BEARCAT AND THE EFI IS THE MOST RELIABLE.

CAT:REVERSE,SPEEDRACK SYSTEM(PRICELESS),BEST EFI,HEATED SEAT,REMOTE START,SENTINEL MODE TO KEEP SLED WARM,MULTI SPEED TRANS.,ON BOARD COMMUNICATION SYSTEM WHICH CAN PLAY MP3,ECT....

OPTIONAL 4 STROKE

ITS UP TO YOU CHECK OUT THE ARCTIC CAT WEB SITE smile.gif

Norball, I checked out the Bearcat and it looks awesome for ice fishing! However it gotta cost a whole lot more than the Polaris 550 Touring DLX?? Especially when you start adding 4 stroke and EFI. I will have to price out the Bearcat to see.

Thanks