• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brainerd Jaycees Ice Extravaganza-Official Statement!

The contest officials just stopped in about an hour ago. They told us that the contest is still scheduled and will be held as normal on January 21st. The details are yet to be fine tuned as to whether they will hold it on Round or Gull Lake. They have been in contact with the sheriff and they have received an OK. So the show will go on! We will keep you posted on the final details ASAP.

As always we will be open early to help everyone get baited up for the big contest. We have parking and shuttle service running from right accross the street from our bait shop. It should be a great weekend. See you guys on the 21st.

Jason Erlandson

Round is the official lake of choice for next Saturday. As always the Jaycee's contest will go off without a hitch. It should be a new and exciting event. It's all about having a great time and raising money for a great cause. Good Luck to everyone at this years contest.

Jason Erlandson

I'm just curious to hear from the guides in the Brainard Lakes area on the rational for having this event on a small lake like Round. Not to take away from the great event, but it still puzzles me on why they chose this lake. This lake gets immense pressure the way it is year round so you can't tell me this won't have any effect on the resource. I understand they try to release as many fish as possible. Considering Round is pretty shallow around the outside part of the lake I'm guessing pretty much 3/4 of the fishable ice will be covered that day ? I know one guy that lives on the lake and I'm curious to hear his opinion? (CJ)? Or anyone else that lives or fishes this lake often. Was N. Long ever considered ? Don't want to put a damper on a great event, but it leaves me sratching my head. confused.gif

It a pure guess on my part, but given the weather we've had it may have come down to which lake had the best ice and good access. I'm sure safety was of the greatest concern in making their decision.

I've never fished the lake. So I'll need even more luck on my side this year. laugh.gif

This still is not a done deal.There is 13 in. of ice right now on Round lake and the sheriff dept. will not give out a permit to hold this event unless there is 14",so hold on. On Gull there is only 10" where the tournament would have been held.The final word on wether the event will be held will be made on Wed.This info comes from the sunday Brainerd paper.

You are correct it isn't a done deal just yet. The measurements on Round are between 13-13 1/2 inches as of today. With some single digits forecasted this week, the outlook looks good for the contest.

As far as the status of the lake, the numbers I've seen show the walleye population to be a little on the low side. I'm sure that the DNR has a plan for Round in the near future, but that is their call. I believe that the contest will go very well. The Jaycee's along with the Brainerd Walleye Alliance always do a phenomenal job. Remember many of the fish caught are put back in the lake. And I am pretty sure that the mortality rate is usually pretty good in the cold water months. I'm not an expert but I really do not see this 3 hour contest as being detrimental to the walleye population. Politics aside I think we all need to remember why we have such a contest. It is to help raise a lot of money for the camp. Round was the choice because of logistics and the make up of each body of water was taken into consideration. Both Gull and Round offer access to some deep water, which North Long does not. Plus the contest location had to be located along highway 371 in order to run the shuttles effectively. The main objective was not to move the contest date back. They had to do that one year in the past and it was a disaster for ticket sales, a net loss of one third of projected sales. With the amount of prizes that this event hands out, that would equal a wash and zero profit raised for the charities. So it is a sticky situation. I am just glad that they were able to work it out in this strange winter we have been having. Who knows maybe this year we may even have a huge northern win the truck. I think that would be cool to see. We could even see some big crappies. Whatever happens, it should be a fun day like always.

Jason Erlandson

Correct me if I am wrong but I think Round has special regs for pike "all fish UNDER 30" to be released?" How are they going to post this? what about people not haveing a tape? Not to mention the fact of catching a 29.5" northern and having to put it back. mad.gif just wondering what your thoughts are.

In the Official statement on icefishing.org they said that all pike under 30" must be released. They will not let you weight-in a pike under that. Its really not that hard to carry a tape on you for 3 hours. I really dont know why people are complaining about the move to Round. They had to get the ok from the DNR and if they dont see it as a problem I dont think it will be. Its going to be a fun contest so good luck to all.

Yeah because the DNR is always right??? That many people are going to carry a tape on them huh. Fishingkid, Have you fish Round much in the last 5-6 years? If you did you'd know why some of us are concerned. i.e....the walleye pop.& size as of late, the pike situation,the pressure it recieves all the time and the size of the lake. Yes it is a great event, but after the contest I hope the DNR puts forth better walleye stocking or restriction for the next couple of years even if it's only maybe a slot or minimum restriction for a couple of years.

I've helped with the Brainerd Lakes Area Walleye Alliance release effort for the past 3 years and plan to help again this year. I just wanted to comment on a couple things.

First of all, all contestants need to remember to bring a bag or a bucket suitable to hold water . When you catch a fish, put it in the water and go to the weigh station. Putting the fish in the water immediately will greatly improve the survival rate after the fish is weighed.

Second, we need a couple more volunteers to help us with the release effort this year. We're going to try to spread out down the roads that lead to the weigh station to catch the people that DON'T have a bag or bucket of water because as I said, the sooner we get the fish protected by water, the greater the survival rate. Spreading out means more volunteers needed by the Walley Alliance. If you are interested in volunteering, give me a call by Wednesday at 218-828-6362 and I'll give you the specifics. Hopefully if everyone remembers to bring their own bag or bucket, the Walleye Alliance won't need to do much but judging from past years, we'll be plenty busy filling bags with a small amount of water and distributing them to the contestants as they come up to the weigh station.

Third, you mentioned having a good survival rate. Unfortunately the past couple tournaments have had two things hurt us. Wind and Cold. The problem we see is that many fish have frozen fins when they get to the line out of water and that my friends is a dead fish. The deep water fish also had air sacks sticking out which I don't think will be as much of a problem on Round.

I believe our success rate has been just around 30% the past two years due to people bringing up fish exposed to the cold and wind. Hopefully with warmer temps, hopefully less wind which freezes the fish quickly, and more people bringing their own bag or bucket for water, we can increase that survival percentage dramatically.

ccarlson

I have fished it a few times in the last 2 years and I under stand that the lake gets a lot of pressure. No the DNR isnt always right but if it wasnt for the DNR there most likely wouldnt be any walleyes left in the lake. They do stock it every other year and with the fishing pressure if it wasnt for the stocking the fish would be gone. Natural reproduction on the lake cant keep up with the pressure it gets. If you catch a pike and dont have a tape ask around this is a friendly event and people will help out. The DNR will have to have to have a plan for Round if they want it to continue to produce fish. I just think people need to stop worrying its not going to change any thing. Just have fun out there.

Alright for all of you guys that are wining about haveing the fishing contest on Round should stop. Sound like my 7 year old sister. It is a contest the fish will be caught and released the best the officals can do. The lake will recover from it and it won't be the end of the world. If i am not mistaken, Gull is connected to it so fish could swim from Gull to Round. Lets stop whining and have a fun tournament. IF it means so much to you that they don't have the tournament on Round Don't go to the tournament then. Good luck fishing at the tournament everyone.

This will be the first time for a group of some buddies and and myself fishing the contest. I know that flashers and other depth finders are allowed to be used by anglers. My question is: What is the interferance like? The holes seem so close together that there would be a lot of interferance between all of the flashers. Has anybody had any trouble with this?

About the flasher question, I brought mine last year. Once the fishing starts, good luck!!! The interference was pretty bad. I'll still try again this year, but be prepared not to use it.

Good luck fishing!!!

Last year there was a number of people trying to use there flashers and they didnt work. As the day goes on the start to work more because people give up on trying to use them. I plan on bring mine to check depths before the start. As to the pike issue all we have to do is if you have a tape and see a person that catches a pike make sure they know about the regs. We still need 3/4 to 1/2" for the contest to happen.