• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

April 21st Sturgeon Excursion!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question, I was assuming that all the cabins have kitchens. Is this correct? Also I thought I heared that the restaurant at the resort will be open as well. There is a new Micky Ds in Baudette too, last year the bait shop and liquor store were closed for the grand opening.

I'm skipping my lunch and running my route. We're hoping to leave Sauk Rapids by 5pm Friday.

Think a flat of 500 crawlers will be enough????

Tom B

tan 1750 Crestliner Fish Hawk with a 70 Evinrude 4t

Tom,

I would think that 500 would be enough for a couple of days smile.gif

You will be able to locate FM staff at Schusters, Tom will have a general idea of where we are at. You can also reach us on Marine Band Channel 69 or GMRS Channel 7 no sub channel. Should you have any questions before then you can reach me @651-247-6053. Once I leave the cities on Thurs afternoon I cannot guarantee cell coverage much after that frown.gif

You can get them at Gander, or Vados. I would presume you could also pick them up at Log Cabin Bait in Baudette. I would call ahead though and reserve it just to make sure.

TSCTSC, Looking forward to meeting you. If you have trouble locating a flat of crawlers please let me know as I can probably secure a flat for you.

Well all of you that will be at the Sturgeon Excursion....GOOD LUCK!

I'm looking forward to seeing Dennis, Rick, Dietz, Jon and Paul holding on to some HUGE sturgeon in the pictures that get posted back on this thread. grin.gif

Have fun guys, looking forward to hearing about your trip.

captain B.R.K. Sorry to say that I was only able to fish Sat. My fishing partner and I found ourselves in good company. One of the River Pro boats (the one that had the big muggs!), Curt and Griff and the crew from Hibbing. All the boats caught some real big fish 20lbs to 34lbs. What a great day on the water!!! With all the filming going on you'd think it was Hollywood!! Pictures and some really good films will def. show up soon. I almost forgot about Catman's 1/2 hour battle with a 38 pounder!!! We're already talking about next year. Hope to see everyone on June 24th. Pat (Old Guide)

Here's a couple to get it started! grin.gifMy best of the trip! 51" Brents51incher.jpg

My friend Dave, soon to be member!!! Davessecond.jpg

What a great time, as usual the company was second to none! grin.gifIf you love to fish, these guys are the ones you wish you could be around all of the time!! Thanks to all you FMers for all of your help, thanks Paul W. for the tow back to the ramp!!! Hope to see you guys again in the future. Brent

Quote:

My fishing partner and I found ourselves in good company. One of the River Pro boats (the one that had the big muggs!), Curt and Griff and the crew from Hibbing.

Hmmm... Not sure what you are talking about with the big muggs. We really, really, really like our coffee! wink.gif

That was Papa Grump (Brian), Dtro (Darren) and myself.

We saw you guys pull in at least 1 decent fish. Curt's boat got a couple on film. We had a few with a monster after both you and Curt left.

We got this one 15 minutes or so after Curt left- 58" x 25" girth and weighed 53 pounds.

hanson58sturgeon066tz.jpg

And dtro caught this pig on Friday in the same area. Actually, Curt's boat was right on top of our waypoint. grin.gif

Darren's fish was 61" with a 24" girth and we didn't weigh it.

dtro61sturgeon062ng.jpg

Awesome time you guys! I had a blast!

Be sure to check this topic going in the Open Water Forum as well.

My Sturgeon Excursion Report

Good old Grump's Shuttle Service strikes again eh? grin.gif

I'm lost for words on how to describe the events from the weekend except for WOW! Thanks to everybody who attended and made it a most exeptional weekend!

Brian

Crud. There are topics in several different forums about this weekend. Very fun searching around and reading the reports though! smile.gif

Smallie Hawgin and I had an absolute blast.

Friday we pike fished for the most part. Got lots of fish, with 4 or 5 over 30 inches. Biggest was 35 inches. No sightings of the 40 inch class we hoped for. Late in the afternoon we figured we better anchor for sturgeon for a while. We managed one small sturge at dusk. Great day.

Saturday was interesting. We fished sturgeon for 3+ hours in the morning, and we got 6 walleyes. 4 between 25 and 29 inches. Kinda funny, because it was so disappointing pulling up walleyes instead of sturgeon. LOL

Very slow afternoon on pike and finished the day with a couple sturgeon(33 and 38 inches).

Sunday we fished from 8am to noon. Man, what a top off to the trip. SH got a pair of 55.5 inch sturgeon 1 hour apart, and I got the "don't be shy" 50.5 incher.(Inside joke in the boat)

The best part was that we didnt sit out in the "gaunlet(4 mile bay)" with the flotilla of boats on Sunday. We sat with less than 6 boats in view all morning, and loved every minute of it. ChuckN and Aaron were within casting distance of us(I know this because I casted a lure into their boat to prove it). They picked up several sturgeon as well. A couple mid 40's if I remember right.

Pics to come. Planning for next year already.

I would like to thank,Rick,Dietz,Paul and Dennis for putting on this event.I have fished alot of different species and places and this past weekend ranks as one of the best ever. smile.gif

Paul, A big THANK-YOU for putting up with me in your boat for the weekend and very nice to meet you Mr.Walerak. smile.gifI simply cannot wait until next year to due battle with another one of those beasts.

For anyone who could not make it,plan ahead for next year as the event was perfect and all the Fellow F.M.er were great to.

Also,it was great meeting all the other F.M.ers. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

I want to thank every one who came.

There is nothing better than sharing a fishing trip with buddies and there were a LOT of buddies there!

It was good to meet some new faces and poke fun at some of the old ones!

I wish I could have talked with everyone, but since there were so many FM'ers up there, I didn't have the chance to meet everyone.

I was realy looking forward to meeting barnyard, CatmanLee and Hibbing, but either didn't see you guys or walked by in a "stupor". crazy.gifgrin.gif

Maybee we'll meet next year?!

Some of our pics.

What a great weekend.

35" pike

img00010ia.jpg

28 inch walleye

img00076cn.jpg

26 or 27 incher

img00096lu.jpg

Giddy

img00107ug.jpg

38 inch

img00141rn1.jpg

Preparing for a real giddy moment

img00199pz.jpg

55.5 inches

img00257ot.jpg

1 hour later another 55.5 incher!

img00369mx.jpg

50.5 inches. The "token" sturgeon for me. Long story.

img00471de.jpg

Extremely great time up there! Glad to meet a few new guys, and didnt get to meet enough.

Better to be lucky than good.

One thing.... notice no boats around us or very few where we got the sturgeon.

I think being in a quieter location might have helped???? I dont know.

It sure was awesome.

We sure have a good method to try for big walleyes now.

We got 4 between 25 adn 29 inches Saturday in 3 hours of fishing. I guess 30 lb leaders, 8/0 hooks and a huge glob of nightcrawlers and some cut bait is the ticket for big wallys.

Did I say cutbait..... shocked.gif

Quote:

One thing.... notice no boats around us or very few where we got the sturgeon.

I think being in a quieter location might have helped???? I dont know.

Don't be fooled by these guys. Key into the boat in the background on the picture "preparing for a real giddy moment"....that was my friend and I dying to get on that spot....we were there the day before and they parked right on my GPS coords by accident!! smirk.gif LMAO! I call that skill!! grin.gif

I was looking forward to meeting alot more folks than we did.

We ran out of food on Saturday, so we ran uptown after fishing. Got back, sat down and fell asleep. Go figure.

I ran my tale off Friday, skipped my lunch and arrived at Schusters pretty much beat.

We're already planning to do things different next year....

We did have a TON of fun though. We caught lots of fish and met a few folks and exchanged tips.

Tom B

I was up and had a great time also. I am able to put a few faces to names here but didnt get a chance to meet many of you... Maybe next year. Harvey I was in the boat next to you guys when paul caught a 52 in and I had another about 40 on while they were taping. I did get to meet Paul on sunday just before we left.

We had a blast in that spot on saturday!!!! Some big fish and a little comic relief to go with it grin.gif I couldnt help but to give him a little dump when we got back.

Biglake we were next to you guys on sunday from about 10:30-noon on sunday and caught a 45 in just after your 50. We spent a little time there on saturday as well but the bite was much better on sunday! Next year I will have to stop by and say hi!

sturgeons0037jx.jpg Heres a pic of the one from saturday I was talking about

Steve caught the biggest in our boat 54 in. It was his first sturgeon he had ever caught. Not a bad way to get started!!

sturgeons0019vx.jpg