• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishin report for Lake Iwanttobethere..

Bobby Bass

End Of Summer

END OF SUMMER budget report was delivered last night here at the cabin. In attendance was myself, the wife and the brown dog. I am happy report that we are showing a budget surplus at the end of the current fishing season. I was sitting at the table in the kitchen with an empty plate with just a few crumbs from a rather large slice of apple pie in front of me, The wife sipping from her tea cup looked over her glasses at me a few times and Duncan the brown dog laid at my feet giving me support. There were no major or for that matter minor expenditures on the Puddle Humper or on the trailer. Batteries, graph, tires and trolling motor have all been replaced in recent budgets and there was no need for any repairs or upgrades.

Fishing rods and reels were not a line item although I did take a hit on spinnerbaits this fall but their replacement will be addressed in next season budget. The Tahoe other then an oil change also was in the plus column as gas prices came down and stayed down. With all the rain of the past summer car washes were also with in budget. Number of fishing trips were down which was reflected in costs but that extra gas money savings has now been moved to the fall grouse hunting budget. A little extra was spent on pictures as the daughters two big bass were added to the den wall along with my neighbor Chuck’s big northern.

The new roof on the boat house was brought up but I told the wife that did not come from the fishing budget but from the cabin maintenance budget, there was some objection there but she let it go. I merely pointed out that the expansion of the garden had come not from the garden budget but from the landscaping budget which she is the chair of. Freezer is not full of fish but there are several meals of fish that with a lot of potatoes will last well into winter. I also hope that a few grouse dinners will be had an if Edd and Eddie the squirrel's cousins keep hanging around there will be a nice squirrel stew on a Saturday afternoon here soon.

Some additional savings were made this year in the fact that I never had to use any hand warmers this fall nor did I use much bug spray. I dank more bottled water this season for some reason and the price of Kit Kats has remained the same. I ended the meeting making the point that being plus in the budget is bad as it means I did not fish enough and offered a resolution that I will try and be deep in the red next fishing season here at Lake Iwanttobethere

PICKING APPLES

PICKING APPLES

PICKING APPLES CAN be a dangerous business, I found that out yesterday. I don’t climb on the ladder to pick apples anymore since I got one of them apple pickers on a pole. The other day the granddaughter was here and she went up on the big stepladder and hand picked a box of apples for me. The wind was blowing and the tree was swaying a little but that just added a little adventure to it when you are almost nine years old. Her problem is she has long blond hair and the wind was blowing it around and it was catching in the branches. I suppose if she had slipped off the ladder she would have been supported by her snagged hair.

The apples that the granddaughter picked were used to make a test batch of applesauce and no sooner was it done then my daughter, the granddaughter's mother came over. The rest of the apples and the box went home with them along with half of the applesauce. There was some where in there a promise of some apple pie and an invitation to come over later in the week. Yesterday I had a hankering for apple sauce but my test batch was gone as the other daughter took care of what was left of the first batch. Against my wife’s better judgment I went out in the thirty mile an hour winds and got out the apple picker. Everyone likes a challenge and picking apples from a swaying tree can be a challenge. I was doing pretty good and I had a new box almost half full when I had a minor accident.

I was reaching up towards the top of the tree because we all know nothing good is easy to get. I was just hooking a nice big apple when the one alongside of it decided to give up its hold and let loose. Like a good baseball player following a pitch right into the glove I watched this apple fall from the tree to hit me square in the eye. I had both hands on the apple picker and moving never was a thought in my mind till the apple hit me in the eye. It stung a little, OK it stung a lot. I dropped the apple picker against the tree and put my hands on my knees. Duncan who was watching me picking apples from a safe distance came over to lick me in the face. I shook it off but decided that a half of box of apples was enough for apple sauce and took the box into the cabin. I told the wife about the direct hit by the knuckle ball apple. The wife checked me out and gave me a cold cloth to cover my eye and told me when I feel better I can start peeling apples.

With the apple sauce made and my eye a little sore but feeling better I went outside with Duncan. Duncan was running around the yard playing in the leaf covered grass as the big maple was shedding leaves in the strong wind. Dang if he didn’t stop on a dime and as I watched he started inches closer to the edge of the yard by the high grass. Doing that one foot a time very very slow walk till he froze. Well I have seen this before and I was in the cabin and out again with the double and a handful of shells. I dropped two in and walked quickly, for me over to Duncan’s side. I peered into the under bush and I didn’t see anything. I was standing close enough to Duncan that my knee was touching his side and I could feel him quivering, he was seeing or smelling something that was escaping me. I gave him a nudge with my knee and said something encouraging.

Duncan didn’t need to be told twice and he moved forward, from the other side of a stump a grouse blew up. In slow motion I raised the shotgun up and as I watched the grouse jump up into the air made a little dip to the left, open his or her wings wide and caught a gust of wind that blew her sideways in an instance. I shot where she was not where she is and before I could turn the bird was gone. Duncan jumped up on his hind legs to watched the bird and came down to turn and give me a look like a seasoned hunter that he is becoming. The look said "You Missed" and with that he turned and trotted back to the cabin. He was having nothing of me telling him as I pointed at my eye that it was not my fault, here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Rambo

Rambo

I HAD A sit down conversation with Duncan also known as the brown dog a few weeks ago out on the deck here. He sat at my feet and looked at me and tilted his head from side to side as I did most of the talking. I was explaining to him that I still had some fishing to get in and there was just to many leaves on the trees to be out grouse hunting. I made a promise that when fishing is done that we will get out or try to every day till deer season. I have been keeping my promise the past week or so as we have been out on a few trails and at the very least at sundown we take a walk on the back trail here at the cabin.

Now the wind has not been exactly cooperating with us this last week as we have been having some steady strong winds and some gust in there that would carry you away. We did manage to score on a couple of birds and the wife cooked them up and it was a tasty meal, at least for me. The wind although bad for hunting has been good in knocking down the leaves as just in the past few days the yard is now covered in them. This brings me up to a certain grouse that I have been seeing just on the edge of my property that seems to have some sort of mystic powers. I can’t hit the dang thing. I think I have shot at that bird four times and have missed four times.

My neighbor Chuck was out yesterday afternoon and I took the path over to his place to chat some. Mostly I went over there to give him a hard time about the last few times that I have been out fishing and he has not. He did tell me that he has managed to get out bird hunting a few times and as we chatted we discovered we were talking about a certain bird. Chuck told me he has shot at this one bird three times and swears he hit it once. He went on to tell me he has given this bird a name, Rambo. Because he swears he shot this bird and it came down on a stump and as he watched the bird turned its head and plucked out a bb from its shoulder and spit it back at Chuck.

I nodded my head with him as we have seen stranger things then that, I agreed that his Rambo might be the same bird I have been shooting and missing. I also noticed that Chuck was drinking some of his hard apple cider he had brewed. Still it made sense to me as a couple of years back I had a squirrel that I called Wonder Woman as every time I shot at it I would miss. The squirrel would sit up on its haunches and cross his front paws just like Wonder Woman did or does with her magic bracelets.

With fishing done for me this year I have started to unload the Puddle Humper. Rods are in the den hanging from the ceiling rack and tomorrow I will start putting tackle boxes in storage. Yesterday was another windy day and overnight we did have some rain which made the leaves heavy and ready to fall. I did spend some time sitting on the deck just watching leaves fall. I always wonder what makes them just give up and let go. I was also thinking that I am going to have to get the leaf blower out so I can assist some of the leaves to leave my yard and find a winter home over in Elmers yard. Duncan and I did go take a walk but we saw no birds. I thought I did see a bird behind a blue spruce and it looked like it had a red bandana on its head, I shook my head to clear it and I think it was really just a red maple leaf and my sore eye might be playing tricks on me here at Lake Iwanttobethere.

Dreary

Dreary

A DREARY DAY here at Lake Iwanttobethere today, at least that is how Sunshine Ray described it in his morning forecast on KCUM radio. I think the brown dog would agree as he is under the deck here at my feet licking his feet. We both were outside briefly, me to go down to the dock and get the mail and Duncan to do his thing. Some light rain falling and it feels cold as I did not grab a hat. I stood for a while under the boat house roof and waited for Duncan to finish inspecting the bare garden. Yesterday was a pretty decent day, not real warm but warmer then what it has been. The big thing there was just a little breeze and there was sunshine. Together they can make a cool fall afternoon very comfortable.

The wife and I spent most of the afternoon outside working in the gardens. I went after the big garden and the wife cleaned up her flower beds. The last row of potatoes were dug and I was a little disappointed in the yield. Not in the best spot and they gave up some small potatoes that with a lot of fish will make a couple of meals. With the garden all cleaned up I got the tiller out and broke up the ground. The straw bales that I got from Old McDonnell’s farm were spread on the strawberry patch and the wife pruned the raspberry bushes. Sunflowers were cut down and the heads left out for the birds to come and snack on. Still have my two rows of tobacco leaf standing tall, they are still green and appear to still be growing. I think I am going to cut a few down and hang them and see what happens. The others I am going to leave in the ground and see if they die off and if the leaf will cure on its own.

Another box of apples was picked and I didn’t hit myself in the head this time around. Leaf blower was gassed up and I blew the deck off and around the Puddle Humper. The sound of my leaf blower joined in the chorus of small engines that have been running all afternoon. With a lot less leaves on the trees to absorb the noise you can hear the sound of chain saws, leaf blowers, lawn mowers and weed wackers echoing across the waters of Lake Iwanttobethere. One thing I did not hear was the sound of any outboard motors and I looked several times out at the lake and saw no one fishing.

Around five or so Duncan came to the garden and gave me that look of his. I looked at him and he looked at the back trail and back at me. I looked at the wife and she looked at the dog then back at me. I looked at the trail then at the dog and back at the wife. The wife just said "GO." I put the rake I had in my hand up against the fence and a few minutes later Duncan and I were stepping of the yard grass to the back trail. You could tell with the first step that the wind had done its job. The trail was now deep in yellow leafs and there were places that you almost had to wade knee deep through them. The quiet walk was not going to happen today as with each step there was that rustling noise. Even Duncan plowing through the chest deep leaves for him was making noise. Watching the brown dog go through the leaves I think he was actually enjoying himself. An unstoppable force as he plowed through the piles only stopping from time to time to drop his head out of sight and then come back up to snort out what ever he was smelling.

No birds were seen, not to surprising we were not exactly very stealthy. The walk back to the cabin is always quicker then the walk going out and we hit the yard grass as the shadows were getting long and there was a little cool in the air. I had a passing thought I should pack a flashlight in the bird vest so I don’t get caught in the dark on one of these trips. As I was walking to the deck I saw a flash of headlights over at Chuck’s place and the unmistakable sight of trailer lights behind his pickup. I took the path over and Chuck was just unhitching his boat trailer. He had better luck then me as he had caught a fish for dinner. I told him no birds but I did find a cucumber in the garden here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Jays

Jays

SPENT A GOOD part of yesterday relaxing watching it sprinkle out and keeping an eye on the jumping bass thermometer on the side of the cabin. It was not cooling down and the forecasted snow for the afternoon never came. I did have to make several trips outside to let Duncan out, he was sitting by the glass deck door and when there got to be to many birds in the yard he would come and get me to let him out so he could run them off. I spent some time under the boat house roof watching the light rain fall and leaves from the big maple. A gang of blue jays came through, I always refer to them as a gang but I am sure there is some birdie name for a group of Blue Jays. They came to raid my bird feeder as they were just passing through on there way to warmer places. I lost count but there was more then twenty of them, a blue blur as they squawked and chased each other off the bird feeder.

The bird feeder is intact, the blue jays were to interested in running each other off that in the end no one got any seed. I was thinking of picking apples but I still had a box in the kitchen. I did go peel some for pies and left a big bowl on the counter as a hint to the wife. I was in and out of the kitchen as I was making my "No left over chili" and also had some bread rising. By three I was getting bored so I decided to drive into town. The wife asked where I was going and I told her, she said I should take her Jeep and give it a little fall drive. I caught her keys and me and Duncan were in the Jeep a few minutes later. First thing I noticed it needed gas, I was going to get back out and take the Tahoe but I was already in the space capsule as I refer to the Jeep as.

First stop was the Gas-N-Go where as the Jeep sucked up gas I lifted the hood and checked the oil, down a quart. Have been meaning to change the oil but have not gotten around to it. I checked the box in the back and there was a quart there so I dumped it in. Gallon of window wash to and I carried that up front and sure enough the Jeep was low on that. As I was doing all of this work I was thinking of the old days when you could work under the hood and hear the ringing of the bell on the gas pump. It told you every time you put a gallon of high test in and you could keep track by counting the dings. Currently everything is digital and I just heard the click when the pump went off. With the windows all washed and the attendant paid I squeeze back into the Jeep, next stop The General Store.

Big Earl was standing out on the sidewalk wearing his orange apron with a see through plastic rain poncho on. His broom was in his hand as he open the door for me and told me it was a great day for ducks! I went inside to see a big banner declaring huge Halloween Candy Sale and a big arrow pointing down. I nodded my head at Barb the cashier and followed a guy dressed up in his winter parka down the aisle to the Big Sale. I arrived to see a couple of kegs of the white and orange Candy Korn and a stack of white paper bags. Another sign said "Please buy some" but I passed and worked my way to the real Halloween candy. Like most stores you have to walk past everything you don’t want or need to get to the stuff you do need. Big Earl at Deer Camp always tells me how much money he makes on impulse items in his store, matter of fact he would like to make his entire store an impulse store.

I arrived at the back and quickly located some Kit Kats and what the heck I grabbed a bag of Butterfingers to. I made my way to the front and Barb rang me up. She put the bags of candy into another bag and made a comment about how the wife was just in yesterday and bought several bags of Kit Kats. I walked out of the store already trying to figure out where she hid the Halloween candy that she bought here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Clerk

Clerk

STUCK IN A rut here weather wise, another day starting off with a gray cloudy sky, damp out and some wind blowing. Yesterday afternoon I was over at my neighbor Chuck’s place hanging over the side of his pickup truck exchanging manly talk. We talked of the almost cheap price of propane and the dropping price of home heating oil. Of course we did this as we looked over the overflowing pile of firewood coming out of Chuck’s wood shed. Grouse hunting was spoke of and we started making some plans for what needs to be done up at the Hotel this deer hunting season. I told Chuck I was down at our local Salvation Army outlet looking for some reading material. They do have a wall of donated books there and from time to time I stop and look over them.

I came into the store and there were signs all over the place advertising 50% off Halloween Classic clothing. Thing is most of the Classic clothing hanging under the signs was the same stuff I was wearing into the store. I looked over the books and didn’t see anything interesting. I walked over to the cooking section in search of pie pans, can never have enough pie pans. As I spoke Chuck nodded his head, he agreed with the never enough pie pan logic. As I came around the shelving were the glassware is displayed I found a very attractive gal working on the bottom shelf moving saucers. She was wearing a black and white camo pattern blouse and had big round brown doe colored eyes. Our eyes met and I had this thought go through my head that I wished I was about thirty years younger.

She stood up and I noticed she had an hourglass figure with a few extra minutes in the right places. Not wanting to lose the moment I managed to get out "Do you know where the pie pans are?" She smiled at me and reaching up she pulled out a yellow number two pencil that was holding up her hair. Her dark brown hair fell out of the bun with the pencil gone and cascaded down past her shoulders like a spring waterfall. She then took the pencil and pointed at a shelf behind me. I turned and spied two deep pie pans which I grabbed before an older lady who was ease dropping on my conversation could reach. I turned back to say thank you to the clerk but she was already walking away.

I made my way to the check out and paid for the pie pans, forty-nice cents each a good deal. I was also thinking I should come down to the store a little more often. I got into the Tahoe where I was parked nose to nose to another SUV I put on my seat belt and as I looked up the clerk who was not a clerk got in the SUV in front of me and flashed me a smile. I gave her a stupid grin back and I pulled out of the parking lot. I went left and she followed me out but turned right. I told Chuck this and we shared a sigh, "Yup, they don’t even see us any more Bobby, we are just old guys" I nodded but told him that this morning I had apple pie for breakfast and the wife made a comment on why I had a smile on my face. I might have been thinking about a certain clerk who was not a clerk but then again it could be because the wife makes good apple pie here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Time

Time

THE NEXT WEEK here might be the busiest week of the year for me here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Last night my neighbor scored on tickets to the local college hockey game, just cost him a couple of bottles of his Lake Iwanttobethere Maple Syrup in trade and while we were there and enjoyed the victory we managed to score on tickets for tonight’s game. Tonight is also Halloween but the grand kids are going to a party so will not be trick or treating. We don’t get many trick to treaters after dark at the lake anyway so the timing should work out. After the game we will stop at the Lodge to check in as tomorrow is the first and I take over my duties as the Lodge manager. We also have to turn clocks back tonight which is good because tomorrow granddaughter number two is having a kid's party. Football game is on at noon which I hope to watch somehow. Almost forgot about the football game today but I will have to listen to it in the Tahoe between running errands.

Monday and Wednesday Sunshine Ray is forecasting that we may hit sixty, Chuck still has not put his boat away so there may be a fishing trip in my future. But Monday is also my granddaughter birthday dinner and Wednesday night is the oldest daughter's birthday dinner. Somewhere in there I need to go to Ma and Pa’s grocery with our food list as this next weekend is the deer season opener. Did I mention I have to get up to the deer camp, better known as the Hotel to check on it? A few walks in the woods with Duncan are also on the schedule as once deer season starts he is not allowed out in the woods. Mail and paper delivery also stops tomorrow on the lake and now we will have to get our mail and paper from the boxes back down on the road. Guess I better add that to the to do list to make sure they, the boxes are in working condition. Mornings will be spent at the Lodge this next week then I go on vacation for deer season, I know it is a pretty tuff job right!

Raining here right now, nothing hard but enough to get things wet and keep them that way. Maples are still dropping leaves in my yard and with no wind they are not going anywhere. Sometime between now and the first snow I need to mulch them all up or hope for some wind to blow them into Elmer’s yard. Have been on the phone a lot talking with the guys from deer camp. As we get closer we start talking more. One of the reasons for the Lodge trip tonight is several of the guys will be there so we can talk altogether. I am not the only one who checks on the Hotel as the other guys also do during the summer and fall when they can. I have just not hunted any birds up that way this season so I have not been able to check the log book.

Of course with daylight saving's time ending the afternoons will be shorter. I always seem to have much more to do during daylight hours then I do after dusk. Elmer tells me I am to busy and I should be more like him. He actually looks forward to Halloween as he just puts a big bowl of Candy Korn that he has had for around twenty years out on his porch. He has a little sign there that says "HELP YOURSELF" and later that night he picks up the full bowl because no one ever takes any but instead the kids feel sorry for him and leave him candy bars here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Edited by Bobby Bass

Vac

Vac

HAVE THE DRAPES open wide here at the Lodge this morning, letting in some rare sunshine. I was out on the deck here enjoying the fall view of Lake Iwanttobethere. The hill where we have the ice house fling is covered in yellow leaves and the parking lot below has cleared areas where the county is hauling in the orange barrels. Every fall the county stores their construction orange barrels down in the park. This morning several loads have already arrived and Hammering Hank is down there supervising, Skinny and him are working on stacking picnic tables and moving fire rings. The boat landing dock has been pulled up on shore and the pink fishing cleaning house has been power washed for the last time till next spring.

Gus has the week off and it is just me this morning, breakfast is toast and cereal as I don’t feel like firing up the grill. The few Lodge members who have come in this morning ask for Gus and when I tell them he is on vacation they just order toast, juice and Rice Krispies. If they are nice about it I offer them butter for their toast. One guy asked for a bagel, really a bagel, after awhile he just ordered some wheat toast. Honey Sauce will be in at nine so some guys are just holding off on their breakfast order. A few guys did order second glasses of OJ, they smacked their lips and said for some reason my orange juice is better then Gus’s. I just smiled and didn’t mention the few drops of vodka I put in the pitcher.

Yesterday afternoon I went to the Hotel after leaving the Lodge at noon, was not there a whole day as I think it is best if I ease back in to my job. Duncan came to work with me and he made himself comfortable on the couch in front of the Lodge’s TV. He was laying on the pillows for most of the morning only getting up to greet certain members. Only a few Leafers came in as most of the leaves around the lake are finally down. Anyway at noon Honey Sauce took over and Duncan and I took a ride up to the Hotel. The road into the place was wet and I had to be careful not to start making ruts. A couple of spots are going to need some fill and I started a list in my head of things to do.

I drove into the clearing and stopped, place looks good I thought as I turned off the engine and just looked for awhile. Duncan was up on his seat making whining noises till I open my door and he slipped past my legs like it was a race to be first one out. With tail up high he set off exploring and I followed. We walked around the Hotel looking for any damage and I finally climbed up the wood steps which I see need some paint and slipped my key into the padlock under the protective piece of rubber that keeps the weather off the lock. The door open smoothly and I stepped in to the kitchen and saw the flies.

Guess the warm weather has been good to them as there was more then a few of them buzzing my head trying to get out the open door behind me. I waved my hand in the air helping a few out and that is when I noticed movement on the kitchen window, Asian Beetles and not just one or two but bunches of them. The list in my head just got bigger as I was thinking we are going to need the shop vac here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Ring Tones

Ring Tones

I ARRIVED AT the Lodge this morning to find Honey Sauce already working in the kitchen. We exchanged HIYA’s and I asked her why she was in so early, she told me to many of the Guys were complaining that they are missing their morning flapjacks. They can get burnt toast and cereal at home from their wives. I acted offended and told Honey that I tried, she brought up the guy who ordered a bagel and instead I gave him wheat toast. "What, the toast is better for him" I replied but then Honey said I toasted the bread like it was a bagel, heating it on just one side. "So I put the toaster on bagel, I did kind of try" I said. We stood and looked at each other and I turned and went out into the Lodge proper, smiling to myself as now I will not have to worry about kitchen duties, Yup, I still got it.

A few members started coming in the door and making their way to the bar. Orders were taken as soon as they found out I was not doing any cooking and things were back too normal. Drapes were pulled back to let in the sunshine except there was no sunshine to let in. Another damp overcast day here at Lake Iwanttobethere. I made small talk with some of the guys and of course deer hunting is the number one topic followed by weather. There is some hope that it will cool down and this damp will become snow, maybe enough for tracking? Sunshine Ray is on the radio and he is calling for daytime highs to stay in the forties and maybe fifty on Sunday, if there is sunshine we will be in the stands in tee shirts, never a good thing for deer hunting here.

Yesterday my neighbor Chuck set out to go fishing but did not make it too far, he got a flat tire on his boat trailer and had no lug wrench the right size to get the tire off. Had to park his trailer on the side of the road and run back to the cabin for a lug wrench, by the time the trailer was ready to go the wind had come up and the afternoon was pretty much done. He is going to try it again this afternoon. I asked if he got the flat fixed and he told me no. I just shook my head at him and told him he is just asking for trouble. The odds of the other tire going flat are, well I can’t even figure them but they are high. He asked if I wanted to go out and I told him I have the daughter's dinner to make, her birthday today. OK so you have just read how I am not very good at making breakfast but tonight we will be having a fish dinner and everyone here knows how to cook fish, there is even a required grade school class on it here at Lake Iwanttobethere.

I was eyeing the clock as I will once again be gone by noon, shortly before that the FELLOWS showed up for lunch. They were all sitting at the big round table and Honey Sauce brought over a platter of conies and a big bowl of chili, their standing lunch order. Some were eating and Tiny was fiddling with his cell phone trying to change his ringer tone. Up here at Lake Iwanttobethere we like our outdoor ringer tones. Tiny was trying to change his from the grunting buck to something that will not attraction attention in the woods this weekend. I don’t have that problem as I was just going out the back door when my phone went off and the sound of a loon echoed in the parking lot here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Camp

Camp

LOOKS LIKE EL-NEATO has arrived early here at Lake Iwanttobethere. The thermometer here at the Lodge is nudging sixty and we have the windows open. A warm breeze from the South is making its way into the main room and it smells almost spring like. If I didn’t know better I think winter has already been here and gone. Then I see the heads sitting around the tables here and most of them are wearing orange hats. I am done working, well at least I have hung up my apron for the day and I am waiting on a few of the guys to come over. We are going to discuss deer our plans for deer hunting opener. Not really much to talk about that we have not already talked about a mess of times in the past month or so but it is good to double check.

My neighbor Chuck didn’t get out fishing yesterday, he mumbled something about having to do something when I talked to him this morning but he did go up to the Hotel and did a walk a round. He confirmed the swamp is full of water and if you are not planing on bring boots you better add them to your list. He did run into a couple of the guys from the camp on the other side of the swamp. They were out checking their trail cams and fiddling with a drone that had a camera on it. Our camp is not nearly as hi tech matter of fact we are not even low tech or even tech. We still run an old fashion traditional deer camp. We have a wood stove, propane for lights and coolers with a lot of ice. Our stands and trails all have names and even some of the big trees are named to be used as landmarks.

Most of us still wear wool under our bright required blaze orange and if it gets really cold we bring out coffee cans with charcoal that we light and keep under us in the stands. Rifles stand in the rack by the door in the Hotel and in our camp a good old 30/30 is the weapon of choice. Of course there are a few 308’s with scopes but here we are in the heart of the woods and shots are not often more then a hundred yards and most of the time they are half of that distance. Guys take turn splitting wood and if the creek is not frozen we take turns hauling water. Cell phones are kept in a wicker basket by the door and the only music in the place comes from a battery power radio with an antenna wire strung up in the trees.

Poker is played nightly and we always have steaks Saturday night. Bunks are made of plywood resting on dark aged old pine 2x4’s and covered with foam pads and sleeping bags that fit like a second skin. Mouse traps are set as they snap and the stove is stoked as needed. Every fish and hunting story is accepted as the absolute truth and no one ever goes home without a good story. Smoking is allowed and even light beer, but you will be teased if you are caught drinking it. I will be heading up tomorrow late afternoon. I have to make a stop at Ma and Pa’s to pick up our groceries and then over to The General Store for some boxes that Big Earl says he does not have enough room in his truck for.

Later this afternoon I am going to take Duncan for a walk out the back trail, the last bird trip for the two of us for awhile. He will be the wife’s dog here and I just hope she does not spoil him too bad while I am away at Deer Camp. Weather looks to be cool for a couple of days then sunny and in the fifties most of next week. Of course this is coming from Sunshine Ray who has been wrong in the past, well actually he has been wrong a lot in the past so for all I know a blizzard is on its way. Might be awhile before I post another story as I am really going to try and spend most of my time at camp this season. I have a mess of books to read and I am all caught up with my do list at the cabin so I should not be missed here at Lake Iwanttobethere

DAY LIGHT IN THE SWAMP my grandmother used to yell that up the stairs at me to tell me it was time to wake up when I would visit her back when I was young. For some reason sitting on the stand Sunday morning as I watched the sun rise in the swamp I thought of her and her morning wake up call. Sitting in a deer stand gives you lots of time to bring up old memories and to solve the world’s problems. Sunday morning in the stand it felt warm and as the day went on it did get warm, sixty-two was reported by one of the guys checking the thermometer at the Hotel. I spent the morning on the swamp stand, my usual place. I watched as the sliver of a moon was chased by the morning sun and the gray of the swamp turned red from first light.

Shadows became trees and brush piles and tall brown grass stopped being deer. I could hear the cawing of a distant crow and the fluttering of sparrows just passing through. Just after full light a gun shot rang out, not from my side of the swamp but from the other side. One shot, a clean miss or a clean kill, I sat in the stand and wondered which and I strained a little listening for a following shot, nothing. I turned a little on the bench seat so I could face the trail that leads into and out of the swamp, Maybe it was a miss and as I watched the trail I could imagine a buck creeping down it from the far side of the swamp to my side. After a half an hour I figured it, the deer was taking its sweet time coming or it was not coming at all.

Around ten or so I made the slow walk back to the Hotel, I moved slow as I was over dressed for the warming day. Half of the guys were already back and the inside of the Hotel was littered with orange hunting coats and sweatshirts. Hats and gloves and laughter. Coffee pot was resting on the black potbelly stove and it was warm inside the Hotel. Already some of the guys had moved chairs outside and the rocking chair on the porch was already occupied by Elmer. Big Earl was making flapjacks as the second breakfast was being served. The night before we had our steak dinner and guys this morning were still full as they went out to the stands. No one had seen a buck, a couple of does were seen but they are off limits this season. Two grouse had buzzed Chuck’s stand, he descried the experience like being in the tower in Top Gun and having Maverick do a fly by. Never saw the birds till they were right on him.

The plan was to gather and watch the football game on the old black and white TV but I went back out to the stand to sit. I shed the long underwear and by kickoff I was back in the stand enjoying the warm southern breeze and listening to the football game. I had brought the little transistor radio from home and had an ear plug stuck in one ear, the other one I had cut off. Gave me the football game and let me listen to what was going on around me. I was not really expecting to see a deer but have learned a long time ago that deer like fish are not always where they are supposed to be. To prove my point I spotted four gray squirrels leapfrogging across the ground. When I first heard them in the leaves I thought I had a herd of deer heading in my direction and I didn’t move. I watched with my eyes and I waiting for the sound of the crunching leaves behind me to get out in front of me. Pretty hard to do when someone scores a go ahead touch down in your ear. Don’t see gray squirrels here very often and four of them at one time had me thinking they were a family just passing through. Things got quiet after they moved on and I sat in the sunshine wondering to myself why I don’t just sit in a tree more often here at Lake Iwanttobethere

( Nephew is heading back to town so he is going to drop this off for the wife to post, maybe Monday? Weather is suppose to turn cold by midweek with rain maybe snow up this ways. Welcome the snow, not to thrilled about the chance of rain )

November 11th

Today just happens to be the tenth anniversary of Lake Iwanttobethere, never thought I would still be writing about this small hidden town of fishermen.. Bobby

Keep up the good work, Bobby. You take me there when I can't be there.