• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishin report for Lake Iwanttobethere..

Bobby Bass

Maggots

SNOW CHANGES EVERYTHING come deer hunting. Thursday night into Friday morning snow fell here at camp. I would say there was about six inches on the Hotel’s porch railing when I went to walk out to the swamp stand. Almost didn’t make it off the steps as there was some ice underneath the snow but I had a hand on a railing when one foot slipped out from under me. I went back in the Hotel and told Elmer to watch his step when he comes out then set off to the swamp stand. By ten I had not seen anything and the wind was up and the sun was breaking through the clouds. Snow was melting on the branches and I could hear and see dripping water falling on my stand. The family of gray squirrels came through I am guessing around nine or so. Not just passing through like I thought, they live around here somewhere. They work their way across my line of vision leap froging in front of one another, for some reason they reminded of clowns coming out of a VW at the circus. Only now with the snow on the ground they are quiet, as the leaves are now wet and buried.

By ten thirty I am ready to head back to the Hotel and I get out of the stand and work my way back slow like. In my footprints I find a set of hoof prints waking in my steps. I stop and look around where the tracks head off the trail and into the woods. I make a note that I better keep a better eye out on the trail. Seeing some deer tracks always helps the sprits, lets me know that I am not alone. I return to the Hotel and find the steps shoveled off, and Elmer’s tracks heading toward the stand of cedars. I get some coffee and some cookies and go back out and sit on the rocking chair and wait for Elmer to get back.

Just after dark the first set of headlights appear in the darkness coming from the gravel road. I am sitting in the rocking chair and I watch as the convoy of white pickup trucks lead by Big Earl in his Suburban with the plow down make their way into the clearing. They look like a UN peacekeeping group until they all step out in their blaze orange. The first Friday of deer camp which happens to be the second weekend calls for us all to drive over to Maggie’s for the all you can eat spaghetti dinner. After gear is all stowed away and everyone is caught up we all pile into my Tahoe and Big Earls Suburban. With all the extra weight of the guys I have no problem making it out on the now plowed trail.

We drive over to Dave Maggots resort where he puts on a big feed for the local hunters. For the longest time no one would really eat there as he called the place "Maggots" then he renamed the place after his dog Maggie and business picked up. We still call the place Maggots and enjoy telling the younger guys in our hunting group to watch out for the chucks of mystery meat that is in the spaghetti sauce. Speaking of younger guys we do have a new guy hunting this weekend, Chucks son in law Scott has joined the group and will be having a try out this weekend. Should be an interesting weekend as Chuck told him to make sure he brings up a coffee can for the stand. Big Earl always brings up broken bags of charcoal to the Hotel for burning out at the stands when it gets cold. Every stand has a metal coffee can with a couple of holes punched in the bottom. You bring out some self lighting charcoal in a bag, put it in the can and you have a nice toasty little heat source. Scott brought out a plastic coffee can so we will have to see how that works out here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Posted from Maggots I mean Maggie’s Resort in the heart of Lake Iwanttobethere deer hunting country

Back to Rain

Back to Rain

NOT LOOKING TOO good here for the rest of deer season. I am sitting in a booth at Maggots, I mean Maggie’s Resort watching ran fall and putting a few thoughts down on the laptop. This morning I had to help Chuck get his truck out of camp as he had well problems back at home. I gave him a couple of tugs with the tow strap that was hooked up to the Tahoe and got through what is now becoming a muddy trail out to our gravel road. Since I was already out I decided to come over to Maggie’s and do lunch and take advantage of his free wi-fi.

No deer have been shot at camp but I had a chance that I should have kept to myself. Sunday morning I was comfortable taking a nap in my stand when I was woken up by a snapping branch, at least that is how I am telling the story. Having done this a few times before I woke up just moving my eyes and as I looked around I didn’t see anything. Listening hard I didn’t hear anything out of place either. Sound of a crow and tree branch creaking some but nothing out of the ordinary. I was thinking that dang family of gray squirrels must be back and I looked over where they usually come from. Nothing there either so I was just about ready to readjust myself when I saw the muzzle of a deer just off to my right and below the railing of my stand. Now how did he get there?

I am saying he as I could see a couple of small branches growing out of the top of his head that as I watched became antlers about two points each. I am thinking a four pointer and I am waiting to see if this dude has a big boy's body. Of course the heart rate is starting to tick up a little and my hearing is about as keen as it can be. I ease my arm over and get the 30/30 in a position that if this little buck eases out a little more I will have a shot. Time passes, I don’t know how long as a minute can seem like ten or it may have just been a few long seconds but the deer puts his head down and his eyes go behind a tree and I take the chance and ease the rifle a little closer. I stop and the bucks head comes back up and he looks right in my direction. I freeze and wait, the buck drops his head but I keep staring and sure enough he snaps his head right back up still looking right at me I think. The next time he puts his head down I pulled the hammer back on the 30/30, big mistaken. The click sounded like someone opening a beer can in a movie theater and the little buck was high tailing it away from me with that tree between him and me.

Well, I went back to camp and mentioned the missed chance and that is all I have heard about since then."At least I saw a buck" I reply in my defense and I would show them the tracks but all the snow has melted and now I am hiding out at Maggie’s watching it rain and having a big piece of apple pie. Dave says he heard it is supposed to rain for the next three days then get cold. Usually by this time of the season the swamp has frozen over and my swamp stand is a good place to be. Not this year, I may be spending the next few afternoons on the porch, sitting in the rocking chair with a roof over my head and some hot cider in my hand. Deer camp in the rain is still a much better option then going home and working on some project here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Posted from Maggots I mean Maggie’s Resort in the heart of Lake Iwanttobethere deer hunting country

Back

Back

GOT THE HEATER on here in the den, not that it is cold just damp as outside the window rain is falling hard hitting the deck. I am home from the Hotel at least for now as Elmer and Vic are holding down the fort so to speak. Been a steady drizzle for the past two days and today it has rained hard a few times. A little while ago Chuck was out plowing the water down his drive and filling in some pot holes and a couple of ruts that were forming. The problem with the well was fixed and Chuck now wants to just be dry for awhile. I think he is just plowing the water for something to do. I was out for a little while as me and Duncan took a walk around the yard checking on things. I did have to push up the tarps over the wood pile as rain had made puddles on top.

One bright red apple hangs from the big tree, I know there were more of them left the last time I picked. I could not reach way up in the tree so I left them but it appears the combination of wind and rain has knocked them off the tree. I looked around the base of the tree and found no apples but did see several hoof prints in the soft ground. Looks like the deer have been here while I have been away at deer camp. Spent some time under the boat house inspecting the new roof which is keeping things nice and dry. Puddle Humper sits quietly waiting her next fishing season which is several months away. Duncan follows me around, water dripping off his coat but him being a lab he could care less if he is wet. I had traded in a fishing cap for wool hat with a brim to keep the falling rain off my neck and face when I first came out. I had checked the jumping bass on the wall thermometer and the red needle was at fifty, which for the middle of November would be very welcomed if it was not raining.

I walked down my drive doing an inspection as I went. Got the mail and then went over to Elmer’s box and got his out to. I tucked the mail under my coat to keep it dry and I walked up Elmer’s drive to his place. I used the key under the flower pot to let myself in and dropped his mail on the table and noticed he is already getting seed catalogs, a little early I was thinking as I pulled the door closed and put the key back under the pot. I cut across the yard to the short trail to my place and the rain was a little less although the drops seemed to be bigger coming off the trees. I had to wait a minute as Duncan found something interesting to sniff at and finally we were both back in the cabin. I used a towel to wipe my face off before wiping the water of Duncan’s back.

Not really supposed to be here at the cabin as the plan was to spend all my time up at the Hotel. I am thinking maybe I should go down to the Lodge for a few hours or maybe I will just go up to the Resort and hang out there. Vic had gone up yesterday to the Hotel to keep Elmer company as Marv is spending time with his daughter Tess deer hunting. Just Dock Burriem alone at the Resort and we are starting to keep an eye on him. Us old guys are starting to keep an eye out for each other not that we are asking but it just seems to be the right thing to do here at Lake Iwanttobethere

I DID NOT last long on the swamp stand this morning, I got cold. As I get older my circulation seems to be like an old boiler that has long out lived its warranty and is just one broken part away from being replaced. Some days my hands and feet are warm and no gloves are needed and other days my hands need to be held close to the pot belly stove and they take forever to warm back up. Yesterday I spent most of the afternoon out on the swamp stand, the wind was on my right shoulder and I had it pressed up against the trunk of the tree using it as a wind break. I had layers of clothes on and a couple of them chemical heaters tucked away at the small of my back. No sunshine, lots of wind and some snow fell. Not a lot of snow, just enough to cover the rails a little and rest on my shoulders and pants until a gust of wind would blow it off. It was a good day to sit as I was warm even though it was in the twenties.

The walk in was slow as I took my time, head up looking for any sign of deer. Hard going though as the ground was now froze at least the small pot holes with water were. I walked around the first couple of them but after I saw that they were froze I just walked right over them. No tracks in the little snow pellets on the ground. I was hoping for some tracking snow but I was looking for the big flakes that are almost warm when they fall, not the little pellets that are almost like sleet and sting if the wind catches them and hits you in the cheeks. My beard deflects most of them and that is why guys grow beards for deer hunting, at least that is what I tell the wife. Of course I have had my beard for about thirty years so that excuse may not fly anymore.

This morning I made the walk to the swamp stand and the wind was in my face, Not much of a wind but enough that it was cold as it blew across the snow covered trail. I climbed in the stand and soon had all my zippers zipped and my hat down over my ears. My chin was resting on my chest and my eyes were just slits that I looked out at the swamp as day light arrived. I knew I was in trouble when I got the first shiver up my back.

The sun rose quickly or so it seemed and with it the wind seem to get stronger. Still a few trees around my stand with some leaves hanging on and I watched as the leaves were spinning on the branches like pinwheels. I tried to hunker down inside my coat even deeper hoping to find a warm spot but I got another shiver instead. I watched the trail coming out of the swamp and there was no movement, the more I stared the more I saw nothing at all. No birds, no sound of crows and the family of squirrels were late. Decision time came, should I call it a morning and come back out later? Then a large gust of wind shook the stand and I made the call to head back to the warm embrace of the pot belly stove back at the Hotel.

One last look around and I climbed down. I headed back with the 30/30 resting in the crook of my arm. I could feel the cold metal right through my coat it seemed. I had the wind at my back and it was pushing me down the trail, it almost felt like it was telling me to get out of the woods. I came around the bend in the trail and let out a single curse word. Across the trail a tree had fallen, too big to climb over and long enough that I was going to get wet walking around it. But that was my first thought. I made by way around to the bottom of the tree and the edge of the swamp was froze, I didn’t press my luck but moved around the tree to the other side of the trail and back up on firm ground. Going to need the chain saw or better yet I think Scott is going to be up hunting tomorrow, young guys like cutting up trees in freezing weather here at Lake Iwanttobethere

DEER SEASON HAS come to an end at least on this side of Lake Iwanttobethere. The far side of the lake the season has just started and a few guys at the Hotel were missing this weekend as they also hunt the other side of the Lake. Reed the Realtor is one of them and his Bio-diesel RV is now parked at an old farm and his deer season continues. A few of the guys went out in the cold this morning and sat on snow covered stands and saw nothing. No one shot a deer this season and that happens from time to time. Good thing that deer season is not always just about harvesting a deer, it is nice but it does not make or break the season.

This afternoon we had trucks all packed by three in the afternoon, by three thirty when the football game came on we were sitting down with munchies and a couple of beers and already the cigar smoke was pretty thick above our heads. By the fourth quarter a few guys headed home preferring to listen to the game on their radios and make the drive with some daylight still left in the sky. I was not the last one to leave as Marv had come up with Dock Burriem and they were going to stay the night. Elmer was going to come back with me but he decided to stay to. I knocked the snow off my boots and climbed into the Tahoe and followed the dark muddy tracks in the snow covered trail out to the main road.

About half way home it started to snow and the moon was just a glimmer of light out in front of me. I took my time as I was in no hurry and the wipers made a pass every now and then to clear the windshield of the snow. I had my driver’s window down some and a cigar going, my last one that I had hidden in the truck. I kept an eye out for deer on the shoulder of the road as it would not surprise me at all to have a deer appear. Deer it seems have a way of knowing when the season is over and it is safe to reappear. Not a heavy snow was falling by no means, just enough to make things white and make my headlights look brighter then what they are.

I made the turn into my drive and climbed the incline up to park in my parking space. A few lights were on in the cabin and I turned off the truck and the wipers stopped. Snow fell and melted on the warm glass and I still had a few minutes left on my cigar. Quiet out, I unhooked my seat belt and it made that rasping sound as the belt retracted back and away. I just sat for awhile and blew smoke out the open driver's window. The cigar was almost gone and I was thinking of putting it out. I watched as the lights in the kitchen came on and I could make out Duncan standing on the chair looking out the window. I could hear a faint barking and then the deck lights came on and the screen door opened. Duncan came running out all legs and flapping ears. I open the Tahoe’s door and the dome light came on. Duncan saw the light, saw me and came charging across the yard.

I made it out of the Tahoe before he was on me, I patted him hard and tugged on his ears. He in turn grabbed my hand and tried to pull me towards the cabin. I went a couple of steps before remembering I had left the window open and had to go back. Duncan sat down in the falling snow and waited. I closed the window and grabbed my duffle bag and gun case. Deer season is done here but tomorrow Duncan and I can go back to chasing grouse here at Lake Iwanttobethere

LUNCH CROWD IS pretty much all gone here at the Lodge this afternoon. The only guys left are Lodge members who have no where better to be. Gus has the day off but Honey Sauce is covering for him in the kitchen. I spent most of the morning putting delivery’s away and going over some pink slips in the office. Not the firing kind of pink slips but the phone message kind. When lunch came I put together Coney’s and ladled out bowls of chili. A few beers were poured but most of the guys who came in today are working and can’t be drinking. There was a lot of bragging going around and more then a few guys were trying to come up with excuses on why they didn’t have any deer in the freezer.

As soon as it was found out that you didn’t get a deer those who did would tell you about how they got theirs. I felt like a deer in the cross hairs as everyone knows I didn’t score and the story of me spooking one has been well told over and over. Seems now I cleaned miss a twenty pointer that was as big as a cow and just as wide. I gave up trying to correct the story and just let it grow. By next season people will be saying "Remember that huge state record buck that Bobby missed?" And others will nod and sip on their beers wishing they had a chance like that themselves. They of course would have had the deer mounted and hanging cuz they would not have missed.

Felt kind of good tying on the apron and watching other people work. Gus will be taking some well deserved time off and I will be here most of the days of the week. Thanksgiving a few days away and most business in town will be closed, we here at the Lodge will be open as we do put on a pretty big feed. I am supposed to be going to the mother in laws but it is my year for working the Lodge and there are a couple of good football games on TV, something I can never watch at the Mother in Laws. Vic is also having a big dinner at the Resort, I don’t really know who is going there, I think Marv and Elmer and Tess and Hammering Hank will be there along with Skinny. I may make an appearance as Marv is making apple pie.

The FELLOWS will all be working on Thanksgiving as they have started another business while I was away at deer camp. They now are all Uber drivers. This I am told is a no brainer has they do have the black limo that all they have to do is peel of the magnetic Del’s Pizza and Sub Shop sign from the doors. They also have Tiny’s Toyota, the one with the clearance lights on the roof. Story behind that is there was some rust coming through and Tiny had these lights laying around so he just mounted them over the rust holes. He needs the clearance lights for when he drives under the crossing gate at the railroad crossing. Business has been slow so far for them but they expect to get a lot of calls for Thanksgiving as they will working from the Lake Iwanttobethere inter county airport.

No real snow on the ground here and it looks like this El Neato weather system is going to hit us. After having two very heavy snow winters and last year being one of the worse snow and cold winters on record I am looking forward to it. Of course I do have the son’s snow blower at the cabin since he needed a place to store it this past summer and if we do get snow he may not get it back. I am going to work some short days as with no snow in the woods and the ground finally freezing I see some grouse hunting in the near future for Duncan and I. Might be some snowshoes hare hunting to as them poor guys really stick out running around in their white fur and the ground still brown. Some ice is forming on the lake and shanties are being uncovered along the shoreline. Right now we are all waiting to see what winter will bring us here on the shores of Lake Iwanttobethere

Thunder Dome

Thunder Dome

WOKE UP TO some snow on the deck this morning, kind of a surprise because it was not in Sunshine Rays forecast. Then again a lot of things are not in Sunshine Rays forecasts. On this Thanksgiving the family is scattered, one son is trying to make it to the mother in laws house for dinner tonight but last I heard he was two states away. Daughter found a good deal on a cabin rental and took my granddaughters and her husband for a much needed break. Her husband is a steel worker and has been working ten hour six days a week for most of the summer and almost all of the fall. In the trades you have to work when you can work as you don’t get to choose too much. Of course having said that the steel workers up this way are having no problem finding work. The son in law told me he is going to spend three days in front of a roaring fire and spend quality time with his girls.

The other daughter and son will be at the mother in laws but I will be at the Lodge where I am now. Something new for my neighbor Chuck as his family this holiday as they have rented out the community center in town and have invited every relative they can find to a huge pot luck Thanksgiving. As noted in a previous story Vic will be having a big turkey dinner at the Resort and Elmer and Gus and Tess and Marv and Hammering Hank along with Skinny will be there. I am sure some of the FELLOWS will also drop by since Marv will be baking pies. Vic is roasting not one but two turkeys as he likes turkey leftovers.

I have the daughters two dogs with me along with Duncan here at the Lodge. The daughter’s dogs are super friendly and of course Duncan is known by all the members. The dogs have found places to lay down and be out of the way but do get up to greet lodge members coming in and of course will accept any and all pats on the sides. We are not the only ones open in town, Gas N Go is open as people still need gas and Ma and Pa’s grocery is also open. I know this because all day we have had lodge members stop off at Ma and Pa’s and then come to the Lodge to made a donations for dinner. We have some members here that just don’t have any relatives close enough to get to so they come here for dinner and we also have some older couples who find it hard to make the big meal so we do it for them. As the day goes on lodge members will come and go either to drop some goodies off or to see if Gus needs any help in the kitchen.

A few will sit at the cherry bar for a short one and exchange HIYA’s with members. Some members will come in to kill time on their way to other places. A couple of guys came in having spent the morning grouse hunting and they were successful. Duncan took special interest in sniffing their boots. Here we have the drapes pulled wide open, a good fire going in the fireplace and the TV has the football game on. Honey Sauce has some soft music on and every so often she comes out from the kitchen with a platter of hot cookies which don’t last long once they are set down on the bar. Smell of turkey and pumpkin pie and laughter is in the air. A donated jug of hard cider sits on the bar next to the coffee urn. Those who sample the cider squeeze their eyes tight for a moment before claiming that the cider "Hits the spot"

I will be here for awhile then will make the rounds before going home. Me and the dogs will stop off at the community center then swing by the mother in laws. The dogs will of course chase her cats when we arrive ( I am counting on that ) and after a piece of apple pie I will be on my way. Me and the dogs will next head to the Resort for a turkey sandwich and maybe the last half of the football game. Tomorrow is Black Friday and it is best if we just hide out at the Resort while the wife heads out shopping. I have never gone shopping on Black Friday as I refer to the crazy day as "Thunderdome" two must enter but only one leaves shopping here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Doc Says

Doc Says

THE DOC SAYS I need to exercise more, easy for him to say. He is one of them five foot sixish guys who weighs about a hundred and forty pounds soaking wet. Ran cross country in college and can still eat anything he wants to. I am at the Resort this Black Friday and I am thinking very little about exercise. Not after the pie and turkey I had yesterday and the future pie and turkey leftovers I plan on having today. The wife has been hinting that maybe she will buy me one of the Fitbit things as a Christmas gift. I don’t see it as a gift I see it as a way for the warden to see if I am working out or not.

Today I am sitting in booth number one here at the Resort and sunshine is pouring in through the clean glass of the big windows. I have been outside a few times letting the dogs get some air and keeping an eye on them. A new place for the daughter's dogs to explore and Duncan is playing guide. Showing the other dog's things that he thinks are interesting or smell good. No snow on the ground and for almost the end of November it is looking like a fair winter. Days continue to grow shorter but it will not be that long and we will start adding minutes of daylight again. As I took the short walks with the dogs I grabbed a couple of chunks of firewood and brought them inside. Duncan of course brought in one each trip but the daughter's dogs don’t have a clue. I gave the black lab one to carry in and all he did was lay down and start chewing on it.

Back inside the dogs find spots where the sun has been shinning to lay down and with eyes close they nap and dream of what ever dogs dream of. When someone comes or goes from the Great Room they open and eye or if they are really interested they will lift their heads off the warm wood floor to watch for a few seconds. As soon as they know there is no food for them involved they drop their heads and drift off back to sleep. Elmer and Vic are over by the potbelly stove, playing cribbage. They have the round wood table between them and a couple of rocking chairs. A old pitcher holds some hard apple cider that they top their glasses off after every game. They rock back and forth and when they are close to the table they lay cards down and peg on the fish shaped cribbage board. I have a little interest in the game as I have my step counter attached to the handle of Vic’s chair. I’ll show the wife how busy I was today.

Marv is in the kitchen baking bread for lunch. Of course turkey sandwiches will be served either hot or cold. I am looking forward to an open face turkey and gravy sandwich with some stuffing on the side and a little cranberry sauce. Nice glass of ice cold milk and pie to finish it off. I see a nap in the big over stuffed chair that should be preheated by the sun by then. I did make a promise to Duncan to take a walk up to the garden and do a little grouse hunting. We will get the old guys to watch the daughters’ dogs. I have the single shot in the Tahoe and my vest, I know there are a couple of birds up there and maybe Duncan and I can catch them out sunning. Right now though I see turkey and pie and a nap here on a Friday at Lake Iwanttobethere

Edited by Bobby Bass

MAKING ICE HERE at Lake Iwanttobethere. Got pretty cold here last night at least colder then what it has been this fall. Winter is still officially a few more weeks away but as far as I am concern as soon as we start making ice we are in winter. When I let the dogs out this morning I saw that the deck was covered in frost, dogs took off running and ended up sliding off the end of the deck. I put the light jacket back on the clothes hook and took out the heavier one next to it. I walked around the yard as the dogs did their thing inspecting as I went. For a Saturday morning it was quiet, I went down to the dock and looked out over the lake. Could hear a crow squawking and I searched the sky looking for it. No clouds in the sky and I had to cover my eyes with my hand to block out the bright sunlight.

The old wood boat rests on the shore flipped upside down. I lightly kick at it a little to see if it was frozen to the ground or not. Talking with my neighbor Chuck he has offered to come over with the tractor and pick up the old boat and bring it up to the wood shop. I had it in the back of my mind that maybe this winter I would clean the old boat up and give it a couple of coats of paint come spring. Daughter will be picking up her dogs this afternoon but till then I have them here. The old lab walks at my side as we both move a little slower these days. The Austrian Shepherd is a ball of energy as she is off running with Duncan. The past several days have been like a doggie play date for him.

This morning over breakfast I asked the wife how shopping on Black Friday was. That is all I had to say as I buttered my toast and put some home made apple jelly on. The wife started ticking off who she bought presents for and where she went. I asked her if she noticed anything different this year then last and she told me "The lack of cars" Drinking some of my juice I said "How so?" I think my mother noticed it first, she said. There were hardy any cars in the parking lots. It seems everyone in town now drives a big pickup or an SUV shopping. Conversation then turned to winter is almost here and everyone has four wheel drive, could be that gas is now under two bucks at the Gas N Go so the big trucks can come back out and play. The wife nodded her head in agreement but how do I explain Mrs. Gervivs with her walker trying to climb up into her son’s monster truck? And she was driving..

I didn’t have an answer for that other then the fact that some people with big trucks enjoy parking up on the curb. During the winter here there is always someone who has to park their truck on top of a snow bank. With the dogs back inside and all in the kitchen, the wife is baking. I headed to the den and sat back in my sun heated chair. As winter grows closer the sun is lower and now I have to tilt my head some to keep the sun light out of my eyes as I type. A few days short of a month before Christmas and it is kind of a quiet time here at the lake. Normally we would have snow on the ground and I would be shoveling and looking for things buried under it. Not this year and Sunshine Ray’s forecast is calling for no real snow and above average temperatures for the next week. It is cold enough at night to make ice so winter is still coming, he is just sneaking in this year here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Ten-thirty

Ten-thirty

DRIVE INTO THE Lodge was a wet one this morning. I woke expecting to see some snow on the ground but as I let Duncan out he made his morning trip quick, it was raining. I left Duncan at home, I would have brought him with but he had already climbed back into bed with the wife, I could hear her yelling about his wet feet as I closed the cabin door shut behind me. I had to wait at the end of the drive as the garbage was being picked up then headed to town. I had to stop again for the school bus, lights flashing and I saw the bus had its snow plow mounted, maybe we are going to get some snow I thought. Everyone was driving with their lights on as the rain continued to fall all the way to town. Well almost everyone, there are always a few who never turn their lights on saving them for something.

I drove past the Gas N Go and I see the price of gas has fallen a few more cents, below two dollars and it has been awhile since we have seen that. A few pick up trucks with plows are parked in the lot. Guys leaning on hoods with steam coming up from coffee cups looking upwards for snow. Parked in my spot at the Lodge and came in the back door. Shook off my cap and hug it and my coat on the back of the office door. Exchanged HIYA’s with Gus who was just rolling the yellow bucket and mop to the main door. If it keeps raining like this the entrance rug will soon be soaked.

Members came in one at a time and took up spaces on the stools at the bar or the tables by the fire. Drapes were pulled back and the deck door was cracked just wide enough that you could hear the rain coming off the roof to splatter on the deck before slipping between the cracks in the boards to fall to the ground to run down the hill to empty into the lake. Public access below the Lodge was empty except for a county plow truck idling away. The truck looked heavy sitting there with a big plow resting on the ground and a full load of sand in the back. The Lodge was pretty quiet, it gets this way this time of the year. Most of the guys don’t come in to late afternoon and it is just the regulars here till the lunch hour. I get most of my work done in the morning so I didn’t even notice till someone said something.

It was snowing! I happen to glance at the neon clock on the wall and the old black hands on the clock were pointed at ten-thirty. For some reason it stuck in my head as I walked around the bar to join a few of the guys who were standing up close to the big deck windows. Their noses pressed up against the glass like little kids. I pulled the deck door to the side opening it up and stepped out onto the deck, The rain had been replaced with big heavy snow flakes that were falling from the sky. Not the little flakes or the big fluffy flakes that fall like a maple leafs these guys were heavy and if Elmer had his hearing aid turned up he would say he could hear them hit the railin. It only took a few minutes but soon everything had a layer of fresh white snow. I looked at the wall thermometer and it said thirty-four I guess Mother Nature had enough of this waiting and snow and maybe winter has arrived here at Lake Iwanttobethere

BEEN QUIET HERE nothing to really write about so I have kept the laptop closed. The snow that I wrote of a few days ago only fell for an hour and it was all melted by yesterday. The son came over to change the brakes on the front of his car because changing brakes is something you never do in the middle of summer when it is warm out. Nope brakes wear out in the dead of winter but all he had to do was shovel some snow and he had a place to work. Of course he did break the shovel, again. Today sometime I will have to take a long lunch break and head over to the General Store and buy a new shovel and maybe do some gift browsing. I have not done any real gift shopping as of yet mostly because I have not found anything to buy for anyone.

I have two big black tom cats and one of them is actually the daughters, when she is home the cat, Buff is never too far away. The cat has a thing for these little cat treats that you buy in a bag. He has to get his "Fix" of treats several times a day and if he does not he meows and meows till he does. The daughter brought home a cat toy that kind of looks like a plastic mouse with slots cut into the sides. You put treats inside the plastic mouse then the cat has to roll the mouse in order to get the treats out. Cat is not too happy about having to now work for his treats but he is at least quiet. The rolling of the plastic mouse across the wood floors and having it bang off the baseboards can get a little old though. Last night I watched as the cat was following Duncan through the cabin. Made me get up from my chair and follow because usually it is Duncan chasing after the cat. I followed the two of them into the kitchen where I saw Duncan open his mouth and let the plastic mouse fall from his mouth into his water bowl, I think someone else was done hearing the mouse roll on the hardwood floor.

Sunshine Ray is out of town so this morning Stormy Clearweather has weather duties. She is calling for a high today of forty and an even warmer forty-two for tomorrow. Yesterday some of the Ice House Fling committee members were in for lunch and they are starting to waver on the date for when this years fling will be held or if it will be held at all. What ice we have on the lake is thin and not safe and we are not in for any real cold ice making weather. Matter of fact I saw a couple of guy's shore casting the open water off Mystery River when I went home yesterday. The lack of ice and snow has not stopped people from putting up their Christmas lights. It might be just me but there sure seems to be a lot of lights out this year.

Honey Sauce and Gus have been acting a little weird around me this morning ever since I told them about going out for a long lunch. Gus has been hinting maybe I should just take the afternoon off and go grouse hunting. With the sun shinning through the deck windows here at the Lodge that is actually a pretty good idea. I also know that Honey has been in the basement digging in the Christmas decorations. I am sure the minute I drive out of the lot the two of them will be hauling stuff up. I think they want to get a head start on the Women’s Auxiliary who will be in on Saturday morning and have taken over decorating duties. Come Saturday night me and the guys will go ahead and decorate our own tree, complete with coasters, straws and burnt popcorn, here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Still Quiet

Still Quiet

THE LAND IS still at least that is how the past few days have felt. I have been busy but if you ask me what I have been doing I could not tell you. During the day the red needle on the bass thermometer has been bouncing around the forty degree mark and that is above zero! I am not complaining at all, I think I have had only to go out and start the Tahoe early twice to melt the frost off the windows. I know I could have used a scrapper but with gas down at the Gas N Go at buck ninety-eight I feel I can splurge and run the truck. I did the other day hear the front brake squealers making noise and my son had the brake tools laying out in the garage, exactly where he left them so I ordered up parts and had his ma invite him over for lunch. He fell for it and I sat in a chair and watched as he changed my brakes. I then checked that off my To Do List.

Have been going into the Lodge early and leaving before noon. I am out the door before the lunch crowd gets there. The snow less winter is letting some people actual finish up their yard work as I saw one of my neighbors down the road using his snow blower to move leaves, I would not have thought about doing it that way. I had to stop by Nells Kitting and Knots Shop, the wife had order a couple of bundles of yarn and since I was in town I picked them up. Nell herself is a little bundle and around these parts she may just be the best steelhead fisher person. Owning a knitting shop she has first crack at all the different yard colors and patters and when things are slow she is always tying something up. Not a very tall gal as she uses knee boots as hip boots and has to have custom waders made for her.

On my way to Nells I went pass the school bus barn, for being bus drivers them guys sure don’t know how to park. The kids parking their cars at the High School parking lot do a better job, at least they try and get part of the car between the yellow lines. Only one short trip out bird hunting with Duncan, Have been waiting for some sunshine but it has been cloudy just about all day every day, One day we were locked in with fog which can make driving slippery but the county is stocked with sand and they were just looking for a reason to spread some of it. Thing is a couple of hours later the street sweeper was cleaning it all back up

We are not making any ice on Lake Iwanttobethere, about the only ice I see is in the ditches and the holding pond down by Dug’s garage that he uses to test outboard motors in. My neighbor Chuck like me has been using his furnace instead of burning wood to keep the chill out of the cabin. My wood rack on the porch is full and there is a pile in front of it where Duncan wanting to play has been bring wood down from the big pile. Chuck did come over and pick up the row boat and it is now up by the wood shop. I have been waiting on sticking it inside because I know as soon as I do I will need the wood shop for something. So I guess I don’t really have anything exciting to chit chat about, The days are still getting shorter, no snow on the ground and no ice on the lake. I have gotten a couple of seed catalogs already so maybe just maybe it might not be all that bad of a winter here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Gingerbread Man

SITTING AT THE Resort this afternoon, Duncan is on the floor next to me his head resting on my boot. The idea was to go take a walk out back and see if we can kick up a bird or two from the corn patch. Not going to happen as I am sitting in booth number one watching it rain. Been a long time since I can remember it raining in December, to tell the truth I really don’t remember it and even Elmer was scratching his head when asked. No snow on the ground, not even a little white under the deck or along the shop wall where snow usually gathers and stays till June. The jumping deer on the wall thermometer says it is forty out and with no wind it would be a nice day, except for the rain.

Resort has been quiet, with no snow we have no riders coming in for lunch and with no ice we have no fishermen. The bait room lights are off, no reason to go in there and we have just the one minnow tank bubbling. Just a few minnows swimming around and Vic checks on them several times a day and has started to name some of them. Had a short morning at the Lodge as I had already penciled myself in for the afternoon off. I was gone before lunch and I drove up to the Resort taking my time. No sleds on trailers and most driveways held their ice houses on snow less ground. Christmas lights were on, guess it is dark enough for them. Big Earl at the General Store says he is almost all sold out as with the mild weather people have had time to hang lights and add lights. Even here at the Resort Vic has strung lights along the railings and Hammering Hank says when it stops raining he will get a ladder out and hang some along the edge of the porch roof.

Saturday the number two granddaughter and I will head to the tree farm and harvest a tree for her and a tree for me. The mother in law went to the guy out on the highway and bought a tree from him but not until she made him stand just about everyone of them up for an inspection. The wife drove the tree to her mother's house tied on top of the Jeep as I had made myself scarce. The Lodge is decorated as on Saturday the Woman’s Auxiliary decorated the place. Honey Sauce butted heads with the president, Doris over what should go where. I was not there and Gus stepped out back. A couple of guys were taking advantage of the day to shoot a round of skeet and Gus said you could hardly hear the shouting between the shotguns going off.

Tomorrow is the Lake Iwanttobethere grade school Christmas show and I will be attending. Parking should not be an issue as there will be no snow banks to steal parking spaces. The grand kids tell me they have a really Big Show planned. I saw the note asking parents and grandparents to please bring a bag of confetti to the show. I think because we have no snow they want the paper for something, that should be interesting for the janitor. Tomorrow will also be decision time about this years Ice House Fling, I don’t think there is a person with in fifty miles of Lake Iwanttobethere that would bet that the fling is going to happen on Saturday. Yet the founding fathers will hold off to the last minute to announce the cancellation or more likely just the postponement of the event.

So for now I am sitting in the booth watching rain fall and hearing the drips outside of the window. Marv is baking cookies so it does smell good in here, matter of fact he just brought out some test sample Ginger bread men. I took one off the plate and Duncan sat up. Me with a cookie had caught his attention. I took a bite and chewed, pretty tasty I said and then Marv asked me " What does a gingerbread man put on his bed at night? Chewing on another bite of the cookie I shook my head from side to side that I didn’t know. Marv with a smile on his face said "A cookie Sheet" I gave him a little groan and gave Duncan the rest of the cookie as Marv headed back to the kitchen here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Edited by Bobby Bass

Confetti

SECOND FRIDAY IN December and it is still warm, there is no snow on the ground and it is cloudy enough that people around the lake have their Christmas lights on. A couple of things did happen today. The founding fathers did cancel the Ice House Fling as we have no ice and no snow on the hill. This of course means we will not have the ice shanty town on the ice in time for Christmas. Even the skating rink needs some cold weather other wise when Christmas break comes the kids will be shooting hoops outdoors and playing broom ball on the grass. I was notified by phone by Gus that the founding fathers have requested that the Lodge along with other business in town to only display the outdoor temperature in Celsius. This way it will at least look like we are cold in any pictures. By the way it is forty out right now which means it is 5c

I did along with the wife and many other parents and grandparents attend the Lake Iwanttobethere grade school Christmas show. Here at the Lake we still call it a Christmas show and not a holiday pageant. With four grand kids in school I have them scattered through out the show. Back in the day they would start with the kindergartens and work their way up through the grades but then people would leave as soon as their kid performed. Now they have them, the grades scattered and you no longer get a program till the show is done. This way you stay confused which is a normal state of mind for a lot of the older grandparents.

Several laundry carts were outside the main auditorium doors when you come in. Our two paper bags of shredded paper now confetti were dumped into the laundry cart which was decorated with red tinsel but still had the bold PROPERTY OF LAKE IWANTTOBETHERE SCHOOL DISTRICT stenciled on the side. The school janitor, I forget his name was not looking too happy as he dumped the confetti into the cart. My mother in law was in front of us and she had brought in three bags, I think she knew the janitor as he told her the note said two and no more. We had no trouble parking today so I could not use the dropping the wife and mother in law off at the door so I can find parking trick. Nope there was a spot real close and I parked and we all walked in together, carrying our bags of paper confetti.

We even found seats in the second row, dead center. I was getting a feeling that something was up as I noticed the place was pretty packed but yet sparse in the front. Even with some seats open parents were standing in the back and along the walls. I hunkered down in my seat and made myself kind of comfortable. I started to fidget some till the wife leaned into me and said "If you can sit in a deer stand you can sit on a wood seat" I was about to say something when my mother in law put her finger to her lips and gave me a hush…

The show started and it was not bad, sitting in the front has it advantages as I could actually hear what the kids were singing. My two grandsons made me smile as they are in the fourth and third grades and as one class came off the risers the other class went on. The two brothers passed each other and slugged each other in the shoulders. Teachers rolled their eyes at the two of them but nothing was broke, no one fell off the risers so no harm no foul. Granddaughter number two had a two line solo and she sang it well. Granddaughter number one was on the drums and she was playing a 4-4 or a 3-4 time, either way it takes a lot of practice to be able to go back and forth like she did. The confetti was saved for the last song, White Christmas and on cue pails of the stuff were thrown from the stage to land on, you guessed it… Everyone in the first few rows here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Edited by Bobby Bass

The Letter

Dear Santa Claus,

Do you know Norman the gnome? Or my elf on the shelf that’s name is Emily ? Does she really fly to you every night to tell you if I was naughty or nice? Thank you for the present. Do you know the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny ? How did you become Santa Claus ? Are you and Saint Nick the same person or are you brothers ? Do you have any sisters ? It was very nice of you to send me that box of stuff. Please tell Mrs. Claus thank you for the sugar cookies recipe. What’s your favorite holiday besides Christmas ? How old are you ? How do you know what to get all the nice chidden ? How did you get all of your reindeers? Where does the coal come from?

My nine year old granddaughter was over last night and today while I was busy in the kitchen acting as her short order cook she asked if she could work on the computer some. I set her up and showed her how to use the spell check. Being nine and growing up in a modern world she is pretty savvy already and soon I could hear her clicking away and asking my ECHO that sits on the desk how to spell things she is not sure of. When breakfast was ready she came to eat and then we got distracted, something that nine year olds and old guys seem to do a lot. Of course our distraction today was to go and cut down two perfect Christmas trees.

After her parents picked her and her perfect tree up I wandered back into the den and found her letter on the screen, I saved it for her to finish on her next visit. So just now I sat down here at the desk and opened up the writing program and read her letter. I am sharing it with you untouched and unedited as a peek into a nine year olds imagination.

She is a smart girl as are all of our grand kids and she takes after me in a few ways. She already is a big reader and is a couple of years ahead of her age group and it now appears she has a knack for writing. Maybe she will become a hard writing reporter it sure looks like she has some questions for Santa that need to be answered. She is at the age where she no longer really believes in Santa but she is also at the age that she wants to believe in Christmas. Some people stop believing in Santa and don’t sing Christmas songs or decorate with lights and bake Gingerbread men. She has two younger sisters at home only one and two years old. To them they have many Christmas’s ahead of them and she is going to enjoy sharing Santa with them. My wife is one of those kind of people as soon as the tree came into the cabin she was already waiting with her boxes of decorations. The granddaughter helped and I just stood back taste testing cookies from the cookie exchange. As I look over this I am starting to wonder, well where does Santa get his coal? We don’t have a mine here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Edited by Bobby Bass

The Letter

Dear Santa Claus,

Do you know Norman the gnome? Or my elf on the shelf that’s name is Emily ? Does she really fly to you every night to tell you if I was naughty or nice? Thank you for the present. Do you know the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny ? How did you become Santa Claus ? Are you and Saint Nick the same person or are you brothers ? Do you have any sisters ? It was very nice of you to send me that box of stuff. Please tell Mrs. Claus thank you for the sugar cookies recipe. What’s your favorite holiday besides Christmas ? How old are you ? How do you know what to get all the nice chidden ? How did you get all of your reindeers? Where does the coal come from?

My nine year old granddaughter was over last night and today while I was busy in the kitchen acting as her short order cook she asked if she could work on the computer some. I set her up and showed her how to use the spell check. Being nine and growing up in a modern world she is pretty savvy already and soon I could hear her clicking away and asking my ECHO that sits on the desk how to spell things she is not sure of. When breakfast was ready she came to eat and then we got distracted, something that nine year olds and old guys seem to do a lot. Of course our distraction today was to go and cut down two perfect Christmas trees.

After her parents picked her and her perfect tree up I wandered back into the den and found her letter on the screen, I saved it for her to finish on her next visit. So just now I sat down here at the desk and opened up the writing program and read her letter. I am sharing it with you untouched and unedited as a peek into a nine year olds imagination.

She is a smart girl as are all of our grand kids and she takes after me in a few ways. She already is a big reader and is a couple of years ahead of her age group and it now appears she has a knack for writing. Maybe she will become a hard writing reporter it sure looks like she has some questions for Santa that need to be answered. She is at the age where she no longer really believes in Santa but she is also at the age that she wants to believe in Christmas. Some people stop believing in Santa and don’t sing Christmas songs or decorate with lights and bake Gingerbread men. She has two younger sisters at home only one and two years old. To them they have many Christmas’s ahead of them and she is going to enjoy sharing Santa with them. My wife is one of those kind of people as soon as the tree came into the cabin she was already waiting with her boxes of decorations. The granddaughter helped and I just stood back taste testing cookies from the cookie exchange. As I look over this I am starting to wonder, well where does Santa get his coal? We don’t have a mine here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Merry Christmas Bobby

Thank You Legal Musky, may you find a lucky buck tail in your stocking !

WHAT WOULD WE do without Flannel? I was out and about with the wife this morning. We had some errands to do and instead of taking both trucks into town we took mine. I was sitting outside of Ma and Pa’s Grocery waiting. I had the truck running and the heater on high, seat was also on high and the vents on the dash were blowing hot air directly into my face with a Beach Boys CD in the player. Some ice pellets were ticking off the windshield and as I watched the thermometer on the rear view mirror dropped another degree. I think we are in for a change of weather as the ice pellets started to turn into snow flakes and were melting on the hood of the Tahoe.

I was debating on going into my stash and lighting up a cigar but I figure I would hold off. I did notice a lot of people on Main Street, shopping. Flashing lights in windows and various Christmas scenes painted on store front windows. I also noticed flannel just about everywhere. Had not really noticed it before until I started looking for someone who was not wearing flannel. Then I started counting, flannel was number one and number two was flannel over a hoodie, number three was a brown work coat and number four was some kind of Christmas sweater. Baseball caps were also a common sight and still a few orange caps were on heads. Did not see much skin though. I think we are done seeing a ladies naked ankle for several months. Of course this is just the menfolk the ladies have a uniform all of their own. Ski jackets with those stretch pants and hair harden into helmets from to much hairspray.

Wind was still blowing and from time to time a gust would shake the Tahoe some. The falling snow would swirl and roll down the street because it was not snowing hard it was just snowing enough. The wife came out of Ma and Pa’s chatting with Dorothy and she opened the door and held it open as she continued to talk. The door was deflecting the cold air into the Tahoe and my hot air was leaving me. I finally had to speak up and told her to stop heating Main Street and she made her third good-bye to Dorothy and got in and pulled the door closed. Before I could even complain about losing my heat she started in with ‘That women can sure talk, I was just waiting for you to say something so I could get away" I just closed my mouth, not even going to try and say anything.

Next stop was the drugstore where the wife had a coop-on for wrapping paper. She headed into the store and I sat back in my seat waiting for the heat to catch up. More flannel's jackets on the street and now I am stuck seeing nothing but flannel every where I look. Kind of like when someone buys a new truck and then all you notice is trucks just like that. I tried to distract myself by looking for pickups with snow plows but all the drivers were wearing flannel. The temperature dropped another degree and I noticed on the bank sign they were flashing CD rates and their temperature was in Celsius it said 0. A little shiver went down my back as not even the hot air blowing in my face and the Beach Boys singing about A Little Duce Coupe is going to keep winter away here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Edited by Bobby Bass