• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable Mods

notsogoodfisherman

I wanted to throw my Otter mod. into the mix of mods on this great thread. I got a ton of idea's from this thread and want to give back, so future sled mod. FM'ers hopefully will get an idea or two from what I have done. I think this stuff started here on FM. Here we go.

This is my pre mod.

b+FF45+imMvVD3koHDrmJX1I9xh+tk+s0300.jpg

This is down to bare, had not seen sled like this in some time.

YQtSOjHMIsFXWEgLl6rHNvPX-maVk7xp0300.jpg

Starting the frame

6Mtqb+R1DUm53Ue9CCsFJt5pHqFF4EIv0300.jpg

WXLAdXSyM47yHwDsJl0G23C59fYFWc+P0300.jpg

A little further

gWouYPBt10GgihD0jaw4-IHV5x0YHxp80300.jpg

A good start to inner super structure.

6svwHYrRVEXc5Q42StdXWEkZ0TmZW5nn0300.jpg

Some finishing being started

7kdZq+xOxFX84T44vPqi0+X0LqMjPGyB0300.jpg

Now some carpet.

rByfacHI2XpHsLveB8PFUQJIsuPfjizr0300.jpg

Starting to come together

je3BvKchneffbXGC5sU3QXcfdrFGYPsJ0300.jpg

This gives you an idea of how lite mod was. I had it over my head at one point.

wmpr-abQccQRDZPU0VO5Zalk1qN67Qu3023F.jpg

Locked and loaded.

mUDtzMV9Wu+0hMP5PU+az+MPnDrJY6py0300.jpg

SGc0mFj0Kw4nHHYkU06xMZzs1hPzHyYp0300.jpg

rF9RIHl9hjVeUi3CajAfOa7OFncGgl0G0300.jpg

ready to go

qPMPCVFY48LZvBVvsCJYjc96dHeE52Wi0300.jpg

txkEJyf0xl01uvfVJlILiN4Zfb5oq9U90300.jpg

SaA8vrwy7VvIFM3VzWFxnWWmaJRNxHiC0300.jpg

In use

+44l65SVb12jRXkzDrYhrbQCGJOzxGiR0300.jpg

ELhr7Vqo5BOUFrmEZcv946pF0Nqhfw8t0300.jpg

C80bklCwv4Td4bf8hC3QJ3dXPbfcLvaf0300.jpg

I got a lot of idea's off of this site and had some of my own from years past fishing out of my shack. After reading here on FM, I finaly pulled the trigger and did it. I am so glad I did.

Thanks to all who posted this year and in years past. Its cool this kind of stuff started here on FM.

Good luck!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just getting started at this and could use some help. I got an old Otter Resort II for free last fall. I spent a bit of time repairing the bent poles. I ended up just using 1/2 inch conduit and it seems to work OK.

My problem is that the thing is a bear to get out onto the ice. No one is driving on the lakes in my area this year and so it's park and walk. My son was able to lug it out last weekend but he isn't always around.

I was thinking about bolting a couple of ski's to the bottom to cut down on the friction. Has anyone tried this? Pluses and minuses? My thought was to raise the sled up maybe 3-4 inches by putting in some spacers between the sled and the skis.

Thanks for any input you have to offer.

shack bash,

did you buy or make the rod holders to have in the back of your shack?? looks like a neat idea! what brand is it? my dad is always telling my to hang the rods up so they dont get broken then he sat on my thorne rod lol.. looks like that is what i need lol

thanks,

Ryan

Tom,

My first thought was that your sled would be easier to pull on hard crusted snow, but I'm not thinking you would get much of an advantage in the powdery stuff. Just my opinion, I don't know that from experience. Another thought, I wonder how solidly the sled will sit with skis under it or if it will put your chairs too high?

I would think you will not gain much from dropping skies down. I have had this kind of set up now on a couple of shacks (Home made portable and a Shappell) and when pulling by hand, still had issues in deeper snow.

I think it would be a kind of big project with little success.

Crappieman,

If you look threw the images again, you can find the name (look close). You can pick it up at Wal-fart for cheap. Just poke a couple holes in top corners and insert some key chain rings. Get you self a couple of coat style hooks and hang rod bag on inner/outer hook and use can use the inner hook for coats and hats. Works very slick and holds 7 rods and reels with all gear intact. Just make sure when putting rods in case, to wrap the upper Velcro straps around rod blank and any fishing line (going up threw eyelets and back down to jig). This helps big time for when you unroll to set up. Every thing comes apart great.

Here is an image of how I make sure to Velcro each rod.

yrWGI90UAGO7OBoF0dC1e4jwfVHo-SiG0300.jpg

vT9A4uujHrZCBVeAODjgG4BPthRxh6GE0300.jpg

Here is an image of the key chain loop.

QkTBHTvjE2XfzKqdF7t1Fp58bLQFWPw-0300.jpg

Here is a image blow by of me using bag and if put away correctly, unfolds great.

Dl+UfVMAJpksC33fCWItg2y7pWruV0vn0300.jpg

Z1jsJIlb-lQoWPnnly7oOMgHtKdfKj-B0300.jpg

g6CJJejTFUVr+mSv7CkIsXATzqultDMc0300.jpg

CN+nTalEqxvwk7tRMP50L14mE1emPr2D0300.jpg

Happy B-day Sand! cool.gif

Ya man, it has worked almost too slick when fishing. Instead of digging a rod out of sled or rod bag, I turn around and its right there. Have them all rigged up and ready to go and on a big lake like Mill Lacs is great. You may be fishing in 8' of water for perch and then out to the flats in 25' on the same trip. Its worth it weight in gold to have a good assortment of rods with and at the ready.

The only time I went threw plastic of sled with an anchor bolt was during the installation of the first pic of the frame. The main rim. I secured this with (black) 2" long, 1/2 lag bolt and washer. Pre drilled a hole and sunk it in. I placed hole up inside of upper lip of sled. I figure less holes threw the sled, the better. I put about 3 on the sides and 2 on the back. If you notice, I left a gap in the from of the sled between frame and plastic, for easy clean out of water (just lift from rear and all water goes out front. Every thing stays inside on shelves and storage trays. That has worked slick.

Thanks Shack, man I'm getting old. Love the rod bag design you have. Been using it since you posted it and it's worth it's weight. Not to repeat you, but it's great having them handy all the time. I even put a couple of small jig boxes in it and my jigs are right there.

All they are is the red style ones that clip on to the upper top lip of a 5 gal bucket. Most stores like Thorne Bro's should have them. I just took a small drill bit and pre drilled a hole in them and used a sheet metal screw to screw them into the lip of the sled. The little back plastic tab on holder, keeps the holder from tipping side to side. If I do use a bobber rig or drill the hole just right for dead sticking, it holds a rod just fine.

Shack bash,

wally world around here (SE Wisco) doesn't have that rod holder / wrap that you have hangin in your shack. I also haven't seen it online. Is that still a current product offering from HT? Anyone have a link that one could purchase it online from?

thanks in advance from Favre-land

It still is a current product and it is still offered at Wal-fart. I just checked Thorn Bro's site and they do not have it. I can not post a link to another site, because of forum policy.

I would say I would e-mail you a link, but I can not find any on the internet.

I would call around to another wal-fart and ask for sporting good department and ask them.

Good luck!!!

Originally Posted By: shackbash
It still is a current product and it is still offered at Wal-fart. I just checked Thorn Bro's site and they do not have it. I can not post a link to another site, because of forum policy.

I would say I would e-mail you a link, but I can not find any on the internet.

I would call around to another wal-fart and ask for sporting good department and ask them.

Good luck!!!

You were right on...another waldo world had about 10 of them.

thanks for the insights...