• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable Mods

notsogoodfisherman

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys!

I'll be up at Winnibigoshish this weekend for the I.C.E. Series event. I'll have both my modified Otter shacks with me if anyone wants a closer peek. All I can say is after running with these mods for 2 years now, the ice house manufacturers need to get on board with some custom type tubs. Wouldn't take much for Otter to mold in a few extra ledges or brackets that doors and such could be attached to. You need to be organized to run & gun effectively and protect your gear.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

That's a good idea hanson, my portable and Paul's will be up on Winnie this Saturday as well. Both complete with modifications. Including snowmobile mods too.

[ Click here to get more info on the ICE Series on Winnie this Saturday. Hope to see you there..]

Here's the start of my Eskimo Quick flip II mods.

It's an older smaller 2 man that is...was very light.

So far I Pop riveted the canvas to the sled. I wish I would have done that right away. It got under the sled while pulling with the ATV and it has some thin spots now frown.gif.

I drilled some holes in the front rail for wire rod holders.

I put in a set of G.M. LED rope lights...needs more.

Tonight I started on the seats and wood. It sits kind of low but that's the only way it will fit under my bed cover. I might need to come up with a higher removable seat bracket?

More to come as I find the right spot for everything. I have carpet but no stapler. The cooler is my minnow bucket. No more frozen styrofoam. Here's some links to the pics:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p199/FernyBucket/Shooting/Seatsdown.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p199/FernyBucket/Shooting/SeatBacksDown.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p199/FernyBucket/Shooting/OnFloorSeatsUp.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p199/FernyBucket/Shooting/Bottom.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p199/FernyBucket/Shooting/1Seatup.jpg

No more "Trap Back" smile.gif

Later,

Ferny

Well, I finally got my mod finished for the most part. Thanks again to Walldoggie for the light idea from China, super bright. The first picture is the house all framed out.

FishHouseMod02-1.jpg

Here I put the LED's and a fan to keep the warm air down. FishHouseMod08.jpg

This is my control panel. Lights are switched separately, radio on a switch, fan on a switch and a three bank lighter combo on a switch. FishHouseMod12.jpg

This is how I mounted my propane tank. I use a hose and the heater cooker. FishHouseMod14.jpg

This is the inside of my middle compartment. It's where I did all my wiring, put the stereo, three bank lighter box and the minnow bucket. FishHouseMod13.jpg

I put rod holders and a light in the back bay for storage. FishHouseMod17.jpg

The seats lift for storage and each have a light under them as well. I just used an amber trailor light for each bay. Put one in the back by the rod holders as well. FishHouseMod16.jpg

This is how it looks with the seats up. Seats are on swivles and they are just cheap boat seats, but very comfortable. FishHouseMod05.jpg

That's pretty much it. Can't wait to get it out on some ice and start fishin'.

That looks great! Is it an Otter Cabin?

Do you stick you auger in the back compartment, or do you strap to the top of the floor, in the open flat area?

Thanks everybody for the pics and info, it gives great ideas for a rookie like me!

Yep, it's an Otter II cabin. I put the auger across the back by the speakers. The motor goes to the left of it and the blade sits on top of the propane tank. I have to eye bolts at each end so I can use a bungie strap to hold it down. I'm a newbie as well, just took some ideas off here and kinda made my own. If you like working on that stuff it's a lot of fun.

311 - I'm not gonna lie, it added some weight. I don't really know how much. With out the propane tank maybe a 150 or a little more because I used a deep cell marine battery. Worth it though for all the extras. With the hyfax it's still easy to pull.

Pier, your more than welcome to come take a look. Just email me [email protected] and we'll set it up. I thought of addin' a sub but didn't wanna rock my butt through the ice or scare the fishes too much.

nice work cygolf1! I see you took a litle of everyone's good ideas on here and added them to your shack. You'll have to give us a field report.

Here's my field report:

I have to say that so far I am pleased with the result of my portable mods . The reflectix on mine seems a little more difficult to fold down (because of the back door) than what others have experienced, but the heat retention is nice. I'm not sure if it is that much brighter inside with it.

The LED lights have worked out nice. Bright enough to see what I'm doing, not too bright that they blind me. I didn't install the computer fans this season, so I hooked one of the lights to the other switch I had wired. Now both lights are on separate switches. The insert I put it works great. It's nice having another flat surface to put things on, in addition to my console tray.

All in all, I'm pleased with the results and all for under $100. I think I've enhanced my fishing experience enough to make it more than worth it. grin.gif