• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable Mods

notsogoodfisherman

Paul,

I really like your setup! I'm looking at doing something a bit similiar (attaching supports to sled walls). Hope you dont mind a few questions. smile.gif

I assume you are using 2x2's?

Would you change anything that you did?

My plan was to mount 2 seats with minnow bucket between them. Then split the area behind them with the area for propane tank and a storage area. I'd like to somehow have the seats fold away and have storage under each one. Not sure If I'll have enough room to swing them open though. I'd use the same exact seats as you have. Here's a rough drawing of what I think might work (shaded is sled 'lip'). Keep in mind, I'm no carpenter. smile.gif

Thoughts? Opinions? Possible problems?

sled.jpg

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only rainy! Getting ready for winter!

Anyways, I just started my mod tonight. Ran into a few problems.. Back end of sled having a slop from bottom of sled to top. Front end of sled having an inward point to it. You can see where I stopped the 2x2's towards the front. I'll have to cut some smaller pieces to make the angle and the rest of the way forward.

Still a ways to go (covers, seat mounts, bolt sides to sled, put on hyfax, ect..) but I'm happy with the start.

mod1.jpg

mod2.jpg

Quote:

Kylersk,If you havn't already done so I would put the hyfax on before going any further, much less headache

That's what I spent this evening doing, intalled the hyfax kit, cut seat section/cover and installed seat, attached a few 5/16 x 1.5" carriage bolts to side of sled. Didnt get as much done as I would have liked but makeing a little progress.

I started two months ago with the modifications that I wanted to do on my Clam Voyager. I hope to have everything done by the end of November if not sooner.

My list of modifications that I wanted to do are as follows.

Hyfax Runners

Secure canvas to sled

Platform with compartments in sled for equipment, so it is more secure

Lights hooked up to a battery and switch

Hook Up function for my other house and other houses

HyFax Runners - Very easy to install. The holes in the Hyfax Runners were already drilled all I had to do is drill them in the sled itself. I installed them on top of the actual sled runners, as when I looked at mounting them in the groove, the runners would become unusable after half of the hyfax runner would become wore down half way.

Before

Hyfax1.jpg

After

HyfaxAfter.jpg

Hyfax2.jpg

After putting the canvas back on I realized that securing the canvas more securly could be done very easily. The rubber seal was previously connected via 1/4" screws that barily held the rubber seal on.

I drilled through the rubber seal (has metal running trhough the inside) then through the canvas and then through the sled. I then took a 2" bolt washered on either end with a nut on the inside and resecured the canvas to the sled. I probably did more then I had to but between in and out of the truck, and drug behind on the ice, I wanted to make sure it did not come off.

PortableModSecure21.jpg

PortableModSecure20.jpg

I started the big project last night. It was to build a platform in the sled with at least two compartments (with doors) that I can store stuff while on the move. Also emcompased into this platform is somewhere where my dog can sit and watch, as Pat Turnquist can attest she get's on your nerve when she is in your face when you are pulling up a Red Lake Slab.

As you may know the Clam sleds are curved at the corners of the top and bottom. This causes some customization of the 2x2's that I am using, but I got the top framing done and started on the bottom. My compartments will hopefully be big enough to fit a plastic milk create in. That way I can just grab the crate out of the comparment, tip it over on the ice and use it as a stand for the vexilar and camera. The compartments will also require some cross beams so this will also secure the top up more.

Ends are ~33" sides are ~68 1/2

PlatformBaseTop4.jpg

Looking good Scott!

I'm interested to see how your Voyageur mod comes out. The Fish Trap houses are a lot lighter material than the Otters so you have to be a little more creative as to not destroy your sled.

Let us know how the progress goes.

It's always a good idea to beef up the attachments of your sled-to-canvas. Your approach was perfect. The only thing I would have suggested would be to use a super-heated nail to burn holes through the canvas rather than drilling through it. This reduces fraying......

Awesome house so far....

I bought them from a guy who make's his own. E-mail me (scott @ zoomn . com) and I can give you information to him. I know he was running low so you would have to contact him quickly.

My uncle works with this kind of plastic also (we make our deer shack window sliders out of it) I am going to check with him this deer hunting season to see what he can get for me.

Quote:

Zebco - looks good. Youre giving me ideas for my Fishtrap.

is that the factory runner kit or did you make your own?

It was a perfect day to get a lot of work done on the modifications. Crappy weather and some football team that I did not want to watch.

I had the platform structure frame built now I had to build the structure (inside) and frame in where I wanted the compartments to sit. I decided on three different compartments' that will have doors that either just pull up or that are on hinges. One compartment that will hold a milk crate for the flasher or underwater camera. One middle compartment that will hold two or three rod bags. The third compartment is a bigger compartment that will hold one milk crate a cooler and some other items. A forth "holding" area will be open and will contain the propane tank and heater. I covered the plywood with some black cloth I picked up from Menards.

I have a total of 6 legs underneath the frame. Two on each end and two in the middle. I gave it the strength test by standing on it and it did not budge.

I need to figure out how to put hinges on the doors or if I am just going to have them lift in and out. Here are the pictures...

f44cb7c0.jpg

ad78d34d.jpg

ad24299e.jpg

1a8873ff.jpg

Hate to be the doom and gloom guy here but... Transporting or storing your propane tank on its side is not recommended!

If hieght is an issue you may want to consider an 11lb +/- pancake style tank. They have the same diameter as a 20lb tank and are about half the hieght. The low center of gravity also makes them a little more stable on uneven surfaces.

Ok, I'm about 90% done. Need to buy another seat, change the divider by the propane tank, finish bolting to sides, put hing on other seat top, and finish the carpet work where the bucket holder is. I think that's about it. Anyways, heres a few more shots of the project.

All closed up...

mod7.jpg

Small Front compartment open...

mod8.jpg

Large compartment open. It's just long enough for my rod/reel bag, slush scoop, and has plenty of room for other items.

mod9.jpg

Seat Compartment open...

mod10.jpg

Kylersk-

I've mentioned a number of times during the course of the last year that I'm going to redo my Otter Lodge's modifications.

Well... I might as well copy yours because that is what I was planning. Good Job!!

One Question... How does the plywood that you bolted your seat to perform? Does it give at all? Support your weight? I was thinking I MAYYYYYY have to add some extra support to the seat base so I don't break the plywood when I'm setting hooks and windmilling on big fish. smirk.gif

I'm guessing the added weight is about 30-40#'s. The 'covers' are what's weiging me down. I used 15/32 plywood and I saw virtually no flexing of the cover when I kneeled on the seat. The dividers are made from 1/4" plywood (I may regret not using green treated).