• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

45 days til archery season begins!!

BLACKJACK

Starting to get pumped, been shooting my bow, just finished another deer stand, need to get it and another one that I made this winter installed, need to start getting my other stands trimmed and ready, saw a nice buck on the way into work this morning - getting pumped! Can't wait for those first couple of evenings and mornings on stand!!

I hear you guys loud and clear. I'd like to get a few stands in place and do a little triming. But with this heat...that's out of the question for me. Hopefully in a week or so. Good luck to you guys this season!

I have 9 stands hung and shooting lanes cut for many of them. Fall food plots were planted this week and I shoot almost every day. YES, even in the hot weather. Have had 3 game cameras up and running for the passed month now and have gotten some great photos . I am passionate about bowhunting and do not let weather determine when I am going to go outside. Whether it be shooting, scouting, cutting down trees, etc..

Get out there guys! The deer aint gonna come to you, and I promise they aint gonna give you a map.

Fall Morning, lets see some of your pictures. What kind of a trail camera do you have?

Fifteen years ago I would have been out in the woods when its 90 degrees out, but now I just watch the 10 day forecast and plan my woods excursions for the cooler days and do my inside chores on the hot days. I call it hunting smarter. Today is supposed to be the last hot day for awhile, so in the next couple of days and this weekend I will be out shooting my bow and installing those stands.

I'm with you on the excitement & the planning for cooler days when possible to do stand work. I did start shooting my bow last night, all was going well, dead on at 20 yards & starting to work on 25, then the trip to the ER...

I somehow slipped early in a draw & the string went, must have done something wrong with my release. Apparently the arrow bounced off the garage apron cement, where I was shooting from, & the nock jabbed me between the second & third fingers of my right hand. It made a nice hole that required 3 stitches. There's a bruise on the hand & it's a little sore, but I should still be able to shoot right away, it just won't be quite as comfortable. Darn, guess I still have to play in that softball tourney this weekend. At least I'll have an excuse for the palty BA I'll likely have, after not playing since last year...

Still not sure how I managed to do that, but be careful boys. I feel like kind of an (Contact US Regarding This Word), but it's not a feeling I've never experienced before, so I'll get over it quickly.

I will try to get some up here. Most of them will require a scanner which I do not have. I do have some on some in my computer and when i get home tonight I'll see what I can do.

I have 2 of the Leaf River Digital cameras and 1 Digital Stealth Cam.

I ordered one of the new MAD, Wild EYE, Video cameras. That should be here Thursday. I already have a compatible video camera so all I needed was the housing with the battery and the infrared sensor.

Can't wait to get that out this weekend.

I too have the fever. I will be heading out to ND for the opener there so I only have about 28 days to go depending when I decide to head out there. Can't wait. I've been shooting now for about a month and am getting back into good form again. Haven't seen a lot of deer lately but with these warm temps I really don't expect to.

I can't wait. I don't care if I work the evening of the 1st day I'll find someone to work for me. NO body takes hunting away from me. NOT even my girlfriend. lol later guys good luck shooting

Fall Morning, I was looking at an ad for one those Wild Eye cameras last night, kind of interesting. But since I don't have a video camera... What do you think of the Leaf River cameras?

bigbucks, glad you're alright! If I get your story right, the arrow bounced off the concrete and then hit your hand? Lucky it didn't hit you in the head or the family jewels!!

kc, break in the girlfriend right! My current wife told me that she just didn't understand how I could 'abandon' her the first fall we were together. Now she just says go, I don't want you hanging around here unhappy. smile.gif

BLACKJACK,

You pretty much got it right, the arrow couldn't have traveled more than 2 maybe 3 feet before hitting the concrete & bouncing back & the nock got me in the hand. You're right, it could have been much worse, it also very easily could have not hit me at all.

My wife's pretty understanding too. We've pretty much got it worked out after almost 11 years of marriage that I'm going to hunt once, sometimes twice during the week & about the same on weekends. There are certain weeks or weekends where I may hunt more than that, but we work that out ahead of time. I try to figure out what the weather/winds going to be a few days ahead & work out with her what days I want to go. Naturally there are certain nights of the week that I just know never work due to other committments, so I don't even go there.

After starting my serious shooting regimen, I made a very hard desision. Although it really wasn't that hard. I was not 100% pleased with my arrow flight as my arrows were a skosh under spined...That and my bow felt a tad heavy for my hunting likeness. SO, with pain on my mind I set down with the bow and an allen wrench set(I normally would not change my bow at all this near to season... but again, I just wasnt pleased.). I turned the bow down to 57 lbs(very confortable for me) I know a lot that feel the need to pull 70 lbs, I can.. just like to be able to pull easy and at many different angles. I bought a 1/0 doz new arrows with a different spine so that they are right. After about 1/2 hour I was shooting perfect bullet holes threw paper with a bare shaft. I am now shooting 291 FPS, 57lbs, with 60.5 Pounds of energy.

Let the games begin...

practice hard my friends, season is near!

ps, I wish I had a camera with me my last 3 shots at the target filled the exact same hole at 20 yards..

Draw weight is very overrated. It's nice to have a little lesser draw weight and still be able to draw back on that monster in 0 degree temperatures after sitting still for 2 hours! You can't replace practice with arrow speed.

Our pal Dietz is starting to get "all grow'd up"! grin.gif Us "seasoned bowhunters are no longer speed freaks, and are quite comfortable concentrating on putting a razor sharp broadhead exactly where it needs to be at a velocity needed to get the job done and no more.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go get the Tylenol. I practiced today.......

Thanks guys!

With todays bows you can get away with shooting less poundage yet still get the speed and energy that you couldn't just 5-10 years ago.

I have to admit, I did things a little backwards in my life of archery. I actually got into archery as a target shooter that really had no intesion of hunting. I shot indoor and 3D. It wasn't till after I had shot for about 5 years that I started hunting. I surely would not call myself a trophy hunter. I just enjoy the hunt. Being in a deer stand with my camo on is one of the few times when I actually feel relaxed. That is untill a deer comes in.

Thanks for the great forum here guys!

I also started how with a heavy draw weight, 70 plus pounds. The last several years I've shot at 57 pounds, it feels comfortable, yet I'm still trying to break myself of the habit of raising my bow up to pull it back because I shot too heavy a poundage for many years. The first couple of sessions of the year I even get my allen wrench out and turn it down a couple of turns until my shoulder and muscles get used to it.